So I wasn't thinking and got a c & ku band lnbf that has a universal ku. Comes with a dioletric plat

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ussexplroer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
So I got my c / ku band lnb. THe ku is universal. After I received the lnbf I decided to look up and remind myself universal and standard. I hope universal works in the us. I think it does. Any thoughts? Also it comes with a dioletric (sic) plate. What does that do again?

Thanks,

Josh

Universal will work. The low band is unused in CONUS so one can set the LO to 10600 and turn ON 22Khz for the 11.7+ghz band.
Low band (10.7-11.7ghz) is received with 22Khz OFF setting the LO to 9750.
Dielectric plate is NOT needed for linear polarity signals. Only used for the circular C band sats are out over the atlantic.

In the receiver it has universal lnb setting. Do I still need to use the 22 tone? thanks, Josh

Okay so I think I figured it out. Need to go try it. Since we are in north america. I need the 22 tone on. THen set it to standard. With it off. I need to set it to universal. I think I got that correct.

Yes set LNB to 10600 and 22khz tone ON if you are using standard setting.
If you use the universal setting most STBs will automatically set tone to ON.
Thats the down side of using a universal in N. America. You tie up the 22khz tone and you can't use it to control a 22khz switch such as the Ecoda.

the fortec mercury 2 receiver I have when I set the lnb to universal it set the 22khz tone to auto. So I think it covers it all. IF somwebody has a forte mercury 2. Can you please check. I'll have to dig out the manual.

Thanks,

Josh

3 ways to program for a Universal LNBF.
1 - Type: Standard, LO 10600, 22khz ON. (Receives 11.7 to 12.2+ghz used by domestic satellites)

2 - Type: Standard, LO 9750 , 22khz OFF. (Receives 10.7 to 11.7 ghz only present on Atlantic satellites east of 62)

3 - Type: Universal.LO 9750/10600, 22khz AUTO. (Receives 10.7 to 12.2ghz)

#3 is kind of a waste as there are no domestic satellites utilizing 10.7 to 11.7ghz. You're scanning for something that's not going to be there if scanning satellites between 62 and 125W.
Use setting #1 to speed up scanning domestic satellites.

BTW, I've got a couple of Universal LNBFs after a 22khz switch. Because the 22khz is ON, they are 'locked' on to domestic satellites. Standard, 10750 LO, lnbs on the OFF ports. Works fine.

2 - Type: Standard, LO 9750 , 22khz OFF. (Receives 10.7 to 11.7 ghz) IE: 10700 to 11700 Mhz
OR
3 - Type: Universal.LO 9750/10600, 22khz AUTO. (Receives 10.7 to 12.2ghz) IE: 10700 to 12200

11050 and 11170 are in the band coverage of both setting above.
If there are no freqs of interest above 11700, #2 would be my choice.

I think the Universal C/Ku LNBF uses diseqc (port 1 and 2 to switch between C and Ku), and 22KHz switching to switch between Ku low/hi bands.

You can use a universal setting and set the LO to 5150/10600 if you use an ecoda 22KHz switch between the C and Ku ports on the LNBF. That way you only need one diseqc port... if you are using a diseqc switch already in your system. Just make sure you use port 1 or the C-band part might not work. Drawback would be you would have no access to the Ku Low band (Europe & east) if you did require that.

Just one more option.

-C.

the lnb I played with was universal and it had a built-in diseqc switch.The port 1 was hard wired internally to C and the ku had a jumper to use port 2 or nothing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)