So, I'm Looking at the FTC Website...

dlsnyder said:
Would the ATSC standards even be relevant in this case? I thought the ATSC standards only pertained to terrestrial HDTV and DTV broadcasting.
The only use of the ATSC standards applied to this issue is the commonly accepted definition of the term "high definition". The term is defined through acceptance of the ATSC standards documentation as a supporting document.

This doesn't mean anyone has to broadcast to these standards, but if they use the term "high definition" to identify their product, we could reasonably use these standards to identify what that means. That's all we're asking them to do, correctly identify their product.

Another question I've been pondering is whether the sat companies are allowed to down-rezz the LiLs, do they have the same constraints as cable?
Consequently, in the
context of mandatory carriage of digital broadcast signals, a cable operator may not provide a digital broadcast signal in a
lesser format or lower resolution than that afforded to any digital programmer (e.g., non-broadcast cable programming,
other broadcast digital program, etc.) carried on the cable system, provided, however, that a broadcast signal delivered in
HDTV must be carried in HDTV.
-sc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)