Status
Please reply by conversation.

*mad_professor*

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 9, 2004
Covina, CA
I have hunted around for new info on Directv's HMC but can't find anything new or even recent.

Does anyone have any info on this?

NO; its just not released yet. The rumormill has consistently slated it as late summer 2006, and we aren't there yet. Others have said they heard fall, but lets see what we get by Sept 1st. Vaporware is NOT the case! AND a term widely over used.

Vaporware (also called vapourware) - is software (in this case channels = software) or hardware which is announced by a developer or provider well in advance of any known release date, but which then fails to emerge and implies a known deception.

I have to admit that I don't understand why it takes sooooo long to come out with this product. They know what they want it to do, and they have the technology to do it. Didn't they announce this like in January 2005? What's up?

-JustBob

I definately think D* has every intention of releasing this and the MPEG4 HD DVR. So technically they are NOT deceiving. They are just mum about concrete dates and for timeframes they do announce, usually not too accurate. Any special terms for that?

Well, it was announced at the 2005 January CES and then it fell quiet. I didn't hear anything about it at the 2006 CES so I am just wondering what's up.

Hopefully it will be out this summer.

Eric

Also remember...

When HMC was "announced" in 2005... it was being done by a seperate company (Ucentric I think was the name)

About 6 months later they where bought up by Motorola... And that most certainly would have have some effect on the timeline.

All I know is that they are definently still working on it.
(They actually showed some images of something that "appears" to be the HMC setup, in the Q1 2006 Report)

The development was announced in 05, great, but PLEASE show where an official release date has been announced. Rumors have consistently stated late summer or fall 06. So where is the huge delay yet?

The term vaporware is so dead, tired, ZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Sorry, but it really is true!

Vaporware (also called vapourware) - is software or hardware which is announced by a developer or provider well in advance of any known release date, but which then fails to emerge and implies a known deception.

DirecTV has not done this. Yet, it is the users that are rumoring & over stating/hyping the release dates and additions of items by "X-time" because they want it SOOOO BAD, not the provider in this case. This term is just being distorted from its real meaning; that deriving from some known deception by the provider.

Last edited:
I'm just curious why it takes so long to bring a product like this to market. They know what they want it to do, the technology exists, so what's the hold up? It seems that technology products like this can't wait too long to come to market because something better is always going to be around the corner. By the time this comes out, it won't be innovative anymore.

-JustBob

One can imagine having to coordinate 5, 10, or more companies involved in the design, creation and manufacture of components/parts and software; then a full distribution plan and implementation.

I think we want this to be 110% RIGHT, not rushed.

If they had subcontracted it to a computer company (HP,Dell,IBM...) all this could have been done very quickly and with support for updates as well. After all the only real issue is bringing in the satellite feed everything else is nothing more than standard server stuff.

It looks to me like a fair summary of all the above posts is that the alleged "new HMC" is, to be precise, "vaporware."

"Rumor" and "hope", and the constant repitition of someone else's rumor and hope, concerning the supposed release of alleged new D* equipment is so often taken for "reality" here. Why is that?

Right now the supposed "new HMC" has the same status in our market as Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster. Anyone seen one working?

When and if it happens, it happens, but what component announced by D* has ever been released "on time" or "when rumored" in sufficent working numbers to be "real?"

Help! Help!

All I know is with my Windows Media Center and 2 Xbox 360's I have my Home Media Center. No vapor, no wishes, no demos. Its real and kicks butt. Only thing missing is native HD capturing from D*. Given that 75% of my HD viewing is from my 2 HD OTA tuner cards, not a huge deal. Cablecard is coming end of year so we shall see. All I know is if D* doenst deliver their version and Comcast offers a few more HD channels, I may be cable next year. Havent thought that would happen but there is always a chance.

I think some are confused. There are two issues here. One the HD DVR mpeg4 version which is just late, and one the HMC.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)