So MGM HD does not do DD5.1 in some Movies? What's up with that?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
This is the channel that is supposed to substitute the Voom film channels. I never saw a movie in the voom channels without DD5.1. This really sucks what is the point of watching a movie without dd5.1 :rolleyes:

This is the channel that is supposed to substitute the Voom film channels. I never saw a movie in the voom channels without DD5.1. This really sucks what is the point of watching a movie without dd5.1 :rolleyes:

I guess it's better than nothing. It was rather fun watching/listening to movies like Invaders from Mars, Dracula, and Psycho in 1080 and 5.1. Oh well........

Voom never seem to have a problem with it.... and always show dd5.1 no matter how old was the movie.

While voom always had 5.1 I can understand why older films do not have 5.1 soundtracks. Even on BD if a 5.1 soundtrack never existed they would include the 2.0 or 2.1 original (i.e. Omega Man) As a result rather than use pro-logic to create a fake 5.1 soundtrack they transmit the original. I'd rather have the original and let my receiver do the work then let them do it for me and mess something up (such as score too high or dialogue too low)

We complain if the picture is altered so that it is not OAR, now we are complaining if they did not "upconvert" an old mono or stereo soundtrack. :)

While the Voom channels were ALWAYS in DD5.1, I have found that the premium movie channels - partiuclarly stuff on max, are not always in DD5.1. It is annoying for sure.

We complain if the picture is altered so that it is not OAR, now we are complaining if they did not "upconvert" an old mono or stereo soundtrack. :)

There will always be a segment of the viewing public that will never be totally satisfied. Its like Star Trek in 2009. There is no way to fully satisfy the hard core fans. So do as best as is practical and dont worry about it.

I don't mind broadcasts in their original audio format—it'd be different if i were a new movie.

Man there is two things that makes the experience of HD great. It is the movie in OAR and DD5.1 sound. Sound in prologic is just dull.

While the Voom channels were ALWAYS in DD5.1, I have found that the premium movie channels - partiuclarly stuff on max, are not always in DD5.1. It is annoying for sure.

Just because it is broadcast on an HD channel does not mean it is HD. HBO and Cinemax present a lot of SD on their HD channel(s).

Man there is two things that makes the experience of HD great. It is the movie in OAR and DD5.1 sound. Sound in prologic is just dull.

But is it your receiver making it Pro Logic? Like stated some movies only have a 2.0 stereo or a 1.0 mono soundtrack. Creating a 5.1 sound will only be using prologic on their end to simulate the sound field. As a result some older films will only have a 2.0 or a 1.0 soundtrack.

But is it your receiver making it Pro Logic? Like stated some movies only have a 2.0 stereo or a 1.0 mono soundtrack. Creating a 5.1 sound will only be using prologic on their end to simulate the sound field. As a result some older films will only have a 2.0 or a 1.0 soundtrack.

Imagine I am j6p. I have my receiver in one setting where it detects DD5.1. I get dd5.1 from other movies and even some movies on MGM but some like Flowers in the Attict that I recorded one day ago have no dd5.1. Sure I can adjust my settings on the receiver so that it gives the illusion that I hearing the sound from all 5 speakers but it is not the same as it came from the source already in dd5.1. This is what VOOM and HDnet Movies do. The end user does not have to do anything to adjust the audio receiver. When was the last time you saw a movie on HDnet Movies or Voom without a DD5.1 sound. My guess never.

Imagine I am j6p. I have my receiver in one setting where it detects DD5.1. I get dd5.1 from other movies and even some movies on MGM but some like Flowers in the Attict that I recorded one day ago have no dd5.1. Sure I can adjust my settings on the receiver so that it gives the illusion that I hearing the sound from all 5 speakers but it is not the same as it came from the source already in dd5.1. This is what VOOM and HDnet Movies do. The end user does not have to do anything to adjust the audio receiver. When was the last time you saw a movie on HDnet Movies or Voom without a DD5.1 sound. My guess never.

So do you not get sound if it's not 5.1? Guess I'm a little confused what your driving at.

My receiver can switch from 5.1 to 2.0 without any intervention from me. It just outputs the proper channels depending on source.

"Upconverted" 2.0 is just as bad as Turner Stretch-O-Vision. I just don't see the point.

So do you not get sound if it's not 5.1? Guess I'm a little confused what your driving at.

My receiver can switch from 5.1 to 2.0 without any intervention from me. It just outputs the proper channels depending on source.

"Upconverted" 2.0 is just as bad as Turner Stretch-O-Vision. I just don't see the point.

my point is that it is not dd5.1. my receiver does not receive it as dd5.1 but when I switch to Hdnet movies it is dd5.1 no matter how old the movie is. That's the point.

Dolby ProLogic II is 5.1. When the original recording is made there is an ultra sonic tone added to the recording to assign sounds to different channels. This is why your DPL II capable receiver has a frequency range of 10-100,000 Hz. No human ear/brain can detect that full range.

If the ultra sonic DPL II triggers are not present in the original recording, the audio track usually plays through center channel only. Sometimes it will play through the front 3 speakers, but the rear speakers will only hiss at best (THD).

Break out your receivers owners manual. It will, or should. explain this in much more detail.

I think the point is that if a move didn't originally have a surround track, then the only way to get it into 5.1 is to simulate it like Dolby ProLogic or DTS Neo:6 does. The difference in this case is that HDNet and VOOM do that at the source and then broadcast the 5.1, while MGM broadcasts in whatever the original has, and then lets the customer's receiver sort it out.

My receiver is set to automatically switch to Neo:6 for stereo or DTS 2.0 tracks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts