So much for YouTube TV

Probably because the content providers are pushing for it now as IPTV is picking up steam.

It's just the price you have to pay for the beauty of $35 tv. Grin and bear it!

I would go back to paying $100/mo. if none of the OTT live TV services could offer an ad-free DVR experience. That is if I couldn't get Kodi or Plex working for me in a relatively pain-free way. (My PlayOn experience was an epic fail).

LMFAO I posted about this in the TIVO forums (not here the actual TIVO forums) quite sometime ago. I posted that the writing is on the wall, they have figured out a way around DVR's which programmers of course still despise. They will move to cloud based if there is to be any kind of "DVR" that that they will control such things as fast forward. OR - they will simply be on demand. I was amazed how many were so certain they would never take away the DVR functions. Sorry but that is an idiotic thought.

And then the Lemmings who for so long thought online services was going to save so much money. Certainly not just me but to all who cautioned that programmers (And/or providers) will always find a way to get whatever is lost in people going to online, we are getting closer to our predictions. Packages are still just that, packages and they are getting more expensive as time goes on unless you are willing to make major sacrifices in what you watch and how. In the end you may pay less but nowhere near as much less as has been the case, and keep in mind it will be at the cost of forced commercials and even what you can or can not record you can bet on it. Oh and more time spent not actually watching the program when a 45 to 50 minute show once again becomes an hour spent to watch it.
Just to be clear, I am very glad there has become alternatives to traditional ways to watch TV because it has helped at least with DISH to not only slow down increases, I am paying $25 a month less than I was a few months ago for nearly the exact same channels for two years. And because of the lack of equipment needed to be provided cost should be less with online. But the loss of those fees is going to be at least partially made up one way or the other.

Reactions: KAB
What will end up happening is that fastforwarding through commercials will come at a premium price. Current information and speculation on Hulu's live TV service is that their basic DVR won't allow it, but for $20/mo. you can fastforward:

DVR Details

The $39.99 live TV service will come with a DVR for recording. But this recording space will not be a fully functional DVR, as it will not support fast-forwarding through commercials.

However, Hulu is looking at also offering an add-on package to its live TV service that will include an DVR with up to 200 hours of programming and allow fast-forwarding through commercials. It is rumored that this add-on could cost as much as $20 a month and allow unlimited streams.

- See more at: http://cordcuttersnews.com/report-hulus-live-tv-will-cost-39-99-details/#sthash.PTajLNKX.dpuf

What will end up happening is that fastforwarding through commercials will come at a premium price. Current information and speculation on Hulu's live TV service is that their basic DVR won't allow it, but for $20/mo. you can fastforward:

DVR Details

The $39.99 live TV service will come with a DVR for recording. But this recording space will not be a fully functional DVR, as it will not support fast-forwarding through commercials.

However, Hulu is looking at also offering an add-on package to its live TV service that will include an DVR with up to 200 hours of programming and allow fast-forwarding through commercials. It is rumored that this add-on could cost as much as $20 a month and allow unlimited streams.

- See more at: http://cordcuttersnews.com/report-hulus-live-tv-will-cost-39-99-details/#sthash.PTajLNKX.dpuf

Well I didn't not know about that when I posted just above - my point is immediately made, a $20 fee and likely there will be other fees for things you never thought they would charge extra for. Window seat, Isle seat, any carry on, breathing their air... oh wait wrong industry. :)

Reactions: KAB and bharath_das
Not being able to forward through commercials? May only be watching soccer on IPTV at that point. The funny thing with commercials, I've had mixed results with online streaming and commercials. I've had the program streaming perfectly fine on some "free" Roku streaming channels, then a commercial comes on and there can be 3 things.

1) everything works fine (not very common)
2) the commercials take forever to buffer!!!
3) they are showing the same darn ads over and over and over again, to the point, I stop using said channel

The one other issue with ads is that people react poorly to change. Remember when Netflix increased its cost by $1 a month and people literally went to the streets and burned San Diego? Yeah, they don't handle change well. and people have gotten used to no commercials for paid streaming. You start adding in commercials to DVR'd programs, that could get dicey. Especially if PS Vue or someone holds out the longest to keep commercials or limitations to FF'ing out. Though, I think PS Vue may actually have commercials in On Demand programming.

And I disagree with Tampa8. I think a good deal of this is coming from the channels themselves. They don't want to lose even more advertising revenue.

Reactions: reddice and Gobucks
Not being able to forward through commercials? May only be watching soccer on IPTV at that point. The funny thing with commercials, I've had mixed results with online streaming and commercials. I've had the program streaming perfectly fine on some "free" Roku streaming channels, then a commercial comes on and there can be 3 things.

3) they are showing the same darn ads over and over and over again, to the point, I stop using said channel

The one other issue with ads is that people react poorly to change. Remember when Netflix increased its cost by $1 a month and people literally went to the streets and burned San Diego? Yeah, they don't handle change well. and people have gotten used to no commercials for paid streaming. You start adding in commercials to DVR'd programs, that could get dicey. Especially if PS Vue or someone holds out the longest to keep commercials or limitations to FF'ing out. Though, I think PS Vue may actually have commercials in On Demand programming.

And I disagree with Tampa8. I think a good deal of this is coming from the channels themselves. They don't want to lose even more advertising revenue.

I live in San Diego, and the only time we literally went to the streets and burned s#*t was when Netflix first started charging for streaming in 2011 (the $1 price increase was nothing compared to $8 -- the price of a fish taco combo platter). :p

Most people haven't even changed to getting live TV from the internet yet, and I'm pretty sure the majority of those who have are with DirecTV Now (no DVR) and SlingTV (just added DVR to certain devices), so it's hard to say how people will react when they can't FF ads on DVR'd shows on OTT live TV services. Though I'm saving all my 24-ounce craft beer bottles to make Molotov cocktails when the time comes. ;)

PS Vue already does have ads on some of their On Demand programming, especially from the broadcast networks (the only On Demand stuff I watch since I can't DVR it). However, I found if I wait a few days, one week at the most, the ads disappear. :)

I can live with a few ads here and there. What REALLY burns my britches, is when they won't even allow you to PAUSE an on-demand program! That's just asinine. If you have to answer the phone, or have a bathroom break, you have to actually completely STOP the program!

I do NOT understand the reasoning behind them doing that...

I'm not saying PsVue is doing that (I don't know) but Charter/Spectrum certainly is. I'm getting my outside antenna system installed/adjusted/locked down, and then I'm dumping the tv part of my Charter double-play.

I'll go OTA with my Tivo, Netflix, and PsVue if needed.

Reactions: Tampa8

DVR Details

However, Hulu is looking at also offering an add-on package to its live TV service that will include an DVR with up to 200 hours of programming and allow fast-forwarding through commercials. It is rumored that this add-on could cost as much as $20 a month and allow unlimited streams.​

More info-Through our sources, Cord Cutters News has learned from a reliable source that the DVR option will NOT cost $20. It seems that Hulu will be offering multiple add-ons and upgrades. If you add them up it would be $20 but you will be able to pick and choose what add-ons you want. Need more streams? Want more DVR time? Etc.

Also we learned that the basic DVR package that comes standard with Hulu live TV service will be robust.

http://cordcuttersnews.com/exclusive-new-details-hulus-live-tv-service/

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!​

More info-Through our sources, Cord Cutters News has learned from a reliable source that the DVR option will NOT cost $20. It seems that Hulu will be offering multiple add-ons and upgrades. If you add them up it would be $20 but you will be able to pick and choose what add-ons you want. Need more streams? Want more DVR time? Etc.

Also we learned that the basic DVR package that comes standard with Hulu live TV service will be robust.

http://cordcuttersnews.com/exclusive-new-details-hulus-live-tv-service/

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!​

I was hoping it would be something like that. I don't need multiple streams or even a lot of storage space, so I would just want to pay for the ability to FF commercials, if Hulu turns out to be a better option for me.

I doubt YouTube TV is a hit because of this. Sling just negotiated and got their DVR up and running. You can fast forward except for a few channels. So I doubt the sky is falling just yet.

I was reading on cord cutter news that the Hulu DVR info was wrong. Their going to have a lot of add on's and things you can customize. If you decide to get all of them it can add up to $20 extra. They will be options.

Some here are just huge cheerleaders for their favorite service. No matter what they will defend every price increase and fee increase.You know the whole "everyone does it" speel. Why I have no idea. They don't work for the company or own stock. So again I have no idea. They don't like the idea of others leaving and going to these OTT services. So you'll see them enjoy any bad news from that front.

I would have stayed with Dish because I loved the Hopper. I just got sick of $15 DVR fee plus $7 mirroring fees even though I owned the Joeys. Some here can keep bending over and defending it. I will not. TV is just not that important. If PS Vue screws up the DVR and adds fees I'll leave. I doubt they will though. Why ruin your business based on no fees?

I've also been hearing forever that Netflix will get commercials. It's been 4 years since I've had it. No commercials yet.

Sent from my SM-G935T using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: primestar31
I think you are both right. The networks want to cover/protect their ad revenues. But in the end, I believe the economics of IPTV (especially with a growing number of players on the field) that rely only on the amount of subscribers, will have to give way to added fees, for the same reasons cable and satellite company's did...they were reaching their limits with sub growth, so they had to increase profits somehow.

Reactions: osu1991 and Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts