So sick of these illogical (and seemingly arbitrary) hockey blackouts...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shinner

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Pennsylvania
And no one at Dtv seems to give a crap or can even give a good explanation.

Whenever the Flyers play on NHLN, I'm blacked out. Last night the most recent instance. Game on NHLN and the Sharks' RSN. Both channels blacked out despite my local teams (according to the zip code checker on Dtv's website) are those based in Pittsburgh, Baltimore & DC.

I called in last night for the first time this season to try and get an explanation...the initial CSR really had no answer but claimed that someone unknown network (she said ESPN or Versus....blaming everything on Versus seems to be the CSR's go-to move these days) must have exclusive rights to show the game. She acknowledged that DirecTV was showing the game on NHLN and the Sharks' RSN but couldn't say why I was being blacked out other than the mysterious network with exclusive rights was the probable cause. She also said that just because it shows up in the guide, it doesn't mean they're actually showing the game. Huh? Really?

She did pass me on to a tech support guy and he really didn't have an explanation either. I was hoping that this guy might have been more logical in that you sorta need that ability to troubleshoot problems. Even after I explained that I am never blacked out when the Flyers are NOT on NHLN, yet am when they ARE, he still didn't have a decent explanation. He blamed it on the teams involved as well as the NHL for setting the blackout area. Somehow I didn't have this problem last season.

Fast forward to tonight....the Capitals (one of my local teams as determined by the zip code checker) are on NHLN. It's blacked out as you would expect....I flip over to the Caps' RSN and bingo, there's the game plain as day. Tonight the Flyers are playing the Coyotes in Phoenix. No local RSN in Phoenix is showing the game so guess what, the Flyers own Comcast Philly broadcast is being shown on a CI channel.

Now...the only thing I can figure out (and it still doesn't seem right) is that somehow Comcast Philly has the local rights for Flyers games in my area (even though that doesn't jive with the zip code checker), BUT since Dtv doesn't have Comcast Philly among their RSNs, I'm being blacked out on both the national provider (NHLN) and the opponent's provider (Sharks' RSN). This sorta makes sense but is not in any way fair to the subscriber, if for no other reason than my zip code does not put me in the Flyers' blackout area.

No one at DirecTV cares, that's the bottom line....they just want to pass the buck to the NHL, the teams and their favorite new boogeyman Comcast. If DirecTV didn't have Sunday Ticket, I would drop them in a heartbeat.

Then she shouldn't be fielding questions about blackouts....

I have given up on figuring out Blackout rules. One week I can see 230 College football games on ESPN and ESPN2 plus my local ABC then the next week can not. Then following week I can see the 230 College games on the West Coast ABC Feed. In the end college football is just as screwed up.

When it comes to hockey I never have an issue because I get the Wild and that is it. However, one game against the Blues was on Fox Sports Midwest in HD and only Standard def on a local channel so I was lucky.

I don't think any one will give you the correct answer or figure it out. This comes down to Direct will blame the Sport it effects and vice versus. They just need to find a way to eliminate blackouts when you pay for sports package.

I wish for NFLST the any games on in my local channels would not be blacked out in the NFLST package.

Silly blackout rules are why I gave up on the sports package. Whenever one of the regional sports networks was running a scrimmage or preseason football game for a team I was interested in, it'd be blacked out.

How a california viewer watching an east coast preseason football game could cause a contractual or revenue problem for the networks or the league still mystifies me.

Now...the only thing I can figure out (and it still doesn't seem right) is that somehow Comcast Philly has the local rights for Flyers games in my area (even though that doesn't jive with the zip code checker), BUT since Dtv doesn't have Comcast Philly among their RSNs, I'm being blacked out on both the national provider (NHLN) and the opponent's provider (Sharks' RSN).

BINGO!! we have a winner :)

When a game is on NHL Net, it is blacked out in the 2 teams "home" market and forces you to watch it on local TV. Since CSN Philly is not available to sat companies, you get double screwed and can't see it. The Sharks feed is blacked out because you are outside of the Sharks "home" area.

Its pretty simple...unless its on Versus or NBC, you are forced to see it on your "home" RSN which for Philly doesnt exist on satellite.

What's she supposed to do when you call her asking about it, instead of contacting the NHL who is ultimately responsible for blackouts?
She could direct me to someone who does have a decent explanation instead of spitting out complete BS that's not even relevant to the question. She throws out ESPN and Versus as possible reasons for the problem when neither one is broadcasting the game (which she knows as she looked it up). I mean, ESPN? They broadcast no professional hockey.

Maybe I'll give the NHL offices in NYC a call and see what they have to say.

BINGO!! we have a winner :)

When a game is on NHL Net, it is blacked out in the 2 teams "home" market and forces you to watch it on local TV.
Thanks man, lemme throw this at ya....my "home" RSNs are Pittsburgh and Balt/Wash.

Since CSN Philly is not available to sat companies, you get double screwed and can't see it. The Sharks feed is blacked out because you are outside of the Sharks "home" area.
Comcast Philly shows virtually every Flyers game and when not on NHLN, I get the games on the opponents RSN, no problem. If I'm truly in the Flyers' "local market", shouldn't I also be blacked out when the Flyers aren't on NHLN? That's what I'm not understanding. It doesn't seem logical at all. How did it change from last year to this?

How can I be in the Philly blackout area when they're on NHLN but not when they aren't? Doesn't make sense.

Its pretty simple...unless its on Versus or NBC, you are forced to see it on your "home" RSN which for Philly doesnt exist on satellite.
Guess I'm looking at losing 13 games this season between Versus and NHLN. Possibly the NBC games too which looks to be another 5. I'm assuming the Winter Classic won't be blacked out unless Comcast has found a way to weasel local rights on that one :)

Awesome. :up

Whats worse is that like my situation, you cant just say "I'd like to buy my way out of this problem...how much?" And get a reasonable number. Or any solution at all.

Even while paying ~$400 for NFL sunday ticket, I still need to run interference between local blackouts, local stations having the game which forces an NFL ST blackout, and local stations that force the blackout but then leave my team beating the snot out of another team (which I like) to go to a 'more competitive game'.

Considering this is the most successful and profitable sport in the US, I'm surprised that you're getting worse coverage with the sport thats most likely to commercially fail in the next 5 years. You'd think they'd be working harder to get the game in front of the fans as much as they could.

Spoken as a hard core NHL fan in the 60's and 70's who mostly gave up due to over expansion and diluted expertise in the 80's and completely gave up in the 90's.

I still salute the Bruins of Bobby Orr, Johnny Bucyk, Phil Esposito, Pie MacKenzie, Teddy Green, Derek Sanderson, Kenny Hodge, Wayne Cashman, and Gerry Cheevers, among many others.

Wish there were guys like them in the NHL now, and that we could all watch them whenever they played, because thats what sports is all about.

And no one at Dtv seems to give a crap or can even give a good explanation.

Whenever the Flyers play on NHLN, I'm blacked out. Last night the most recent instance. Game on NHLN and the Sharks' RSN. Both channels blacked out despite my local teams (according to the zip code checker on Dtv's website) are those based in Pittsburgh, Baltimore & DC.

I called in last night for the first time this season to try and get an explanation...the initial CSR really had no answer but claimed that someone unknown network (she said ESPN or Versus....blaming everything on Versus seems to be the CSR's go-to move these days) must have exclusive rights to show the game. She acknowledged that DirecTV was showing the game on NHLN and the Sharks' RSN but couldn't say why I was being blacked out other than the mysterious network with exclusive rights was the probable cause. She also said that just because it shows up in the guide, it doesn't mean they're actually showing the game. Huh? Really?

She did pass me on to a tech support guy and he really didn't have an explanation either. I was hoping that this guy might have been more logical in that you sorta need that ability to troubleshoot problems. Even after I explained that I am never blacked out when the Flyers are NOT on NHLN, yet am when they ARE, he still didn't have a decent explanation. He blamed it on the teams involved as well as the NHL for setting the blackout area. Somehow I didn't have this problem last season.

Fast forward to tonight....the Capitals (one of my local teams as determined by the zip code checker) are on NHLN. It's blacked out as you would expect....I flip over to the Caps' RSN and bingo, there's the game plain as day. Tonight the Flyers are playing the Coyotes in Phoenix. No local RSN in Phoenix is showing the game so guess what, the Flyers own Comcast Philly broadcast is being shown on a CI channel.

Now...the only thing I can figure out (and it still doesn't seem right) is that somehow Comcast Philly has the local rights for Flyers games in my area (even though that doesn't jive with the zip code checker), BUT since Dtv doesn't have Comcast Philly among their RSNs, I'm being blacked out on both the national provider (NHLN) and the opponent's provider (Sharks' RSN). This sorta makes sense but is not in any way fair to the subscriber, if for no other reason than my zip code does not put me in the Flyers' blackout area.

No one at DirecTV cares, that's the bottom line....they just want to pass the buck to the NHL, the teams and their favorite new boogeyman Comcast. If DirecTV didn't have Sunday Ticket, I would drop them in a heartbeat.

If you had cable from whoever the local company is would you be able to get Comcast Philly in your package? If so that is why you are getting blacked out on the NHLN. Blackouts aren't set by DirecTV they are set by the league. If Comcast Philly claims your area is in their region (even though it is only available via cable) you are not eligible to get Flyers games on NHLN. My step dad & mom have this same problem, they live in between Harrisburg & State College, by zip code they are suppose to get the same local teams as you but because the local cable company (Comcast) offers Comcast Philly they can't get any "national" Flyers games that are also on Comcast Philly.

Don't quote me on this (yet), but my understanding is that NHL Network has a "wider" blackout range then the strict RSN boundries (meaning miles-based, a la the NFL's 75 mile-rule, and not "market" based, a la the RSN's).

Also probably not helpful - the D* RSN lookup site is notoriously flat-out wrong. Often.

If you had cable from whoever the local company is would you be able to get Comcast Philly in your package? If so that is why you are getting blacked out on the NHLN.
Yep, that sounds about right...my local cable company was bought many years ago by a bigger local cableco, then it was bought by Comcast. I don't think initially they offered Comcast Philly but added it recently. That would explain why I don't remember having this problem last season.

Blackouts aren't set by DirecTV they are set by the league. If Comcast Philly claims your area is in their region (even though it is only available via cable) you are not eligible to get Flyers games on NHLN. My step dad & mom have this same problem, they live in between Harrisburg & State College, by zip code they are suppose to get the same local teams as you but because the local cable company (Comcast) offers Comcast Philly they can't get any "national" Flyers games that are also on Comcast Philly.
I believe this is what's going on, though it still seems odd that I (and presumably your step dad & mom) aren't blacked out when the games aren't national (i.e. on Comcast Philly and whatever the opponent's network is). Comcast still has the local rights to broadcast Flyers games but somehow they don't apply when the game is on a national carrier. :confused:

Part of me thinks that this is somehow being overlooked and eventually Comcast will be able to increase their region to the point where we in Central PA won't be able to receive any Philly sports via satellite.

Don't quote me on this (yet), but my understanding is that NHL Network has a "wider" blackout range then the strict RSN boundries (meaning miles-based, a la the NFL's 75 mile-rule, and not "market" based, a la the RSN's).
I remember reading this but I don't remember if this is urban satellite tv legend or has ever been shown to be true other than from an email sent by Directv. I would like to see something official from the NHL regarding this.

I'm roughly 100 miles (straight line) from Philly....closer to 150 by car. Just about no one out here is a Philly fan. Most favor Baltimore with Pittsburgh a close 2nd. In fact, our town had one of those Colts' Corral fan clubs (now a Ravens' Roost).

I have given up on figuring out Blackout rules. One week I can see 230 College football games on ESPN and ESPN2 plus my local ABC then the next week can not. Then following week I can see the 230 College games on the West Coast ABC Feed. In the end college football is just as screwed up.

When it comes to hockey I never have an issue because I get the Wild and that is it. However, one game against the Blues was on Fox Sports Midwest in HD and only Standard def on a local channel so I was lucky.

I don't think any one will give you the correct answer or figure it out. This comes down to Direct will blame the Sport it effects and vice versus. They just need to find a way to eliminate blackouts when you pay for sports package.

I wish for NFLST the any games on in my local channels would not be blacked out in the NFLST package.

Hey Big Dawg, perhaps you can answer a question. Let's say you are a Dallas Cowboys fan. They are playing the late game of the Fox doubleheader at 3:15. Most of the country is getting this game including your Fox channel in Minnesota. The early Fox game is say.... Green Bay and Carolina. The Green Bay game runs overtime. Since the game scheduled on your local Fox channel is blacked out on ST, do you then just have to miss the beginning of the Cowboy game even though you have paid an ungodly amount to ST?

I know a week and a half ago when this scenario came up for me (Dallas was at Green Bay in the 2nd game) I forget who was in the first game but, it got over, they went to the finish of another game before finally joining the Cowboy game late. I do not have Sunday Ticket but, I was thinking to myself, are they screwing over the ST people like this too?

I havent yet seen a game on ST that was 'joined in progress', although I've seen the same game on the locals get pushed a ways. If its the local team, they're contractually obliged to leave the game you've been watching and hanging on the edge about for hours to go to the start of the local team game within a certain number of minutes. If its not the local team, then can join when they dang well feel like it.

Hey Big Dawg, perhaps you can answer a question. Let's say you are a Dallas Cowboys fan. They are playing the late game of the Fox doubleheader at 3:15. Most of the country is getting this game including your Fox channel in Minnesota. The early Fox game is say.... Green Bay and Carolina. The Green Bay game runs overtime. Since the game scheduled on your local Fox channel is blacked out on ST, do you then just have to miss the beginning of the Cowboy game even though you have paid an ungodly amount to ST?

I know a week and a half ago when this scenario came up for me (Dallas was at Green Bay in the 2nd game) I forget who was in the first game but, it got over, they went to the finish of another game before finally joining the Cowboy game late. I do not have Sunday Ticket but, I was thinking to myself, are they screwing over the ST people like this too?

Every time I can remember this happening the game is available on ST until the local picks up coverage.

Yep. On that Day the Vikes played the Lions which ran over until 320 or so. So I did not get the beginning of Cowboys/Packers. I believed by the time it kicked there was 11 minutes left in the first quarter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.