So-so VOOM Install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rvsixer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
Just thought I'd pass along my VOOM install experience :eek: :

1) Both Installs and local installer called a few times to confirm appointment - GOOD
2) Installer showed up on time and courteous - GOOD
3) I requested no roof mounted antennas (why the heck anyone puts them up there is beyond me - all your neighbors have to look at the ugly things then, they fill up with snow, hard to tweak, long cable runs, holes in the roof, create the problem of people falling off ladders, etc).
4) I requested no current DBS wiring be used (previous installation by former homeowner was terrible, short cables joined by dozens of splitters, connectors falling apart, etc).
5) Installer did not ground anything (no grounding block or wires to house ground) - BAD BAD BAD
6) Installer mounted antenna on roof
7) Installer used previous DBS wiring in some spots - BAD
8) Installer left a mess (dish and OTA antenna boxes/styrofoam/plastic bags outside in a heap, receiver boxes and packaging strewn about, leftover RG-6/connectors strewn about, etc) - BAD
9) Installer spent extra time tweaking for best signal (96 or above both dish and OTA...with a 14 deg elevation I was impressed) - GOOD

Told the installer thanks and let him be on his merry way. Much easier for me to re-do the install (and to repair my new roof holes) than to have the install company mess it up again.

VOOM *REALLY* needs to let knowledgeable end-users do self installs. Be cheaper and easier on everyone.

The VOOM sat service itself is :D so far. Viewing on a somewhat calibrated 57" CRT RPTV - nice HD, SD appears superior to DISH, have experienced the random "white dot" problem easily rectified by switching to program guide and back, no mesquito's or sparklies yet. Did have major pixelization and or no signal watching RAVE last night.

Rob.

"Did have major pixelization and or no signal watching RAVE last night." Could be rain fade. How big is your sat antenna?

Sorry to hear about the mixed report but glad to hear you are up and running!

Still watching HDTV under light rain in Seattle, Gill

SeattleVoomer1 said:
"...but glad to hear you are up and running!/QUOTE]

Thanks Gill.

96 on the signal, all other channels I tried were okay. There's lots of reports on other VOOM forums here of this happening last night nationwide, on Rave and other channels. So it appears to have been a problem with VOOM transmission not weather.

Rob.

Being an installer I was mostly displeased with your report. I do have some questions however. Are you aware that the best place for the OTA antenna is at the highest point on the house (or in) which leads me to my next question. Do you have an attic the installer could have put the antenna in? The dish based on what you said the elevation is set at 14 degrees? If this is correct then if you have trees or neighboring houses close by the dish would need a clear line of site that seems relatively low. So possibly it needed to be mounted on the roof? The cable issue, well he should have ran all new cable and grounded it. Although was there a good ground point available? within 20' of the cable run or dish? Lots of questions if you have the time. I cannot really judge your installer on the basis of just what you have written. I would have taken the time to explain this to you. You sound like you should get a job installing though since you do seem very knowledable in this field, but trust me you are the minority. That is why I have a job. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)