So, tell me about the 942 DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

randym431

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2004
I know it records HD, has two tuners for satellite, gets ota HD. But, does it allow mulit-room viewing? Record ota hd?

I was wondering and can't find it anywhere ( I got one on order) does it allow record ing of Analog OTA?

lol

Sure didn't waste any words.

Still concerned that the 942 isn't upgradable to Mpeg4.

Strongly recommend a lease for this very reason. Let it be somebody else's boat anchor. ;)

Yes and No, how's that for an answer.

It is multi room viewable using the TV2 output (SD only via coax) to any TV connected to your inhouse cable coax wiring. So you can view the recorded shows (even high def ones) from any TV in the house using the TV2 output which is 480i via coax. High def material will be down rezed to 480i.

If you want to replay the recorded shows in HiDef you must use the Componant or HDMI/DVI outputs so it would not be Multiroom compatiple when viewing HD recordings in HD.

Just wanted to add that the 942 must be plugged into a phone jack or you will be charged a monthly fee of $4.99 per month. My question is...if I wanted to use TV2 for a guest bedroom (used once or twice a year), will I be charged a $4.99 fee for the an extra set? In other words...will the 942 phone home and report the box being is in dual user mode?

I do not believe that you would be charged for having an extra set.

Sooo, to use two tv's, one 942, you have to run lots of a/v cable to the other tv location? Who does that, the installer?

No, you just need to send a RG6 cable to the second set. The output is sent via coax and you have your choice of channels between twenty something and 69.

tdillon said:
No, you just need to send a RG6 cable to the second set. The output is sent via coax and you have your choice of channels between twenty something and 69.

My install is today and I plan to use the TV2 connection to provide for an analog TV in my office. Since I have standard cable in the house already and each run goes to a central point in the attic, I am going to disconnect one run (where the 942 will go) from the central amplifier in the attic. I will do the same for the office run and then connect them together. Presto, one complete run from the 942 to the SD TV in my office.

randym431 said:
Sooo, to use two tv's, one 942, you have to run lots of a/v cable to the other tv location? Who does that, the installer?

I use a 2.4ghz transmitter/receiver combo to transmit TV2. You plug in composite, left an right into the transmittier and it transmits the picture and sound to the receiver where I take composite, left and right come out of the receiver into the TV upstairs.

Works great...

softwiz said:
I use a 2.4ghz transmitter/receiver combo to transmit TV2. You plug in composite, left an right into the transmittier and it transmits the picture and sound to the receiver where I take composite, left and right come out of the receiver into the TV upstairs.

Works great...

Belkin?

MichaelG said:

I bought them at RadioShack ;) They work great and have remote extenders built in (if needed). The 942 TV2 remote is already RF so the remote extenders are not used.

I used the remote extender for my second Voom receiver which was in my den but allowed my wife to receive the receiver's output up in the bedroom and use the IR Voom remote from the bedroom.

There are lots of brands. The picture is perfect. I put our 802.11g router on channel 11 and the TV transmitter on channel 1. This gives plenty of separation so they do not interfere. We have 5.8ghz phones so those are not affected.

JimP said:
lol

Sure didn't waste any words.

Still concerned that the 942 isn't upgradable to Mpeg4.

Strongly recommend a lease for this very reason. Let it be somebody else's boat anchor. ;)

what is the lease option? how much is it?

softwiz said:
I bought them at RadioShack ;) They work great and have remote extenders built in (if needed). The 942 TV2 remote is already RF so the remote extenders are not used.

I used the remote extender for my second Voom receiver which was in my den but allowed my wife to receive the receiver's output up in the bedroom and use the IR Voom remote from the bedroom.

There are lots of brands. The picture is perfect. I put our 802.11g router on channel 11 and the TV transmitter on channel 1. This gives plenty of separation so they do not interfere. We have 5.8ghz phones so those are not affected.

Very cool....I have been looking into this too. I was worried about all the WIFI and phone stuff in my house. I think I will use this to reach the other sets. What model are you using? The little saucer-shaped ones? I guess we are getting off topic........

MichaelG said:
Very cool....I have been looking into this too. I was worried about all the WIFI and phone stuff in my house. I think I will use this to reach the other sets. What model are you using? The little saucer-shaped ones? I guess we are getting off topic........

If you have 2.4ghz phones that are frequency hopping digital spread spectrum, you're screwed. 2.4 ghz FHDSS phones hop around all the channels and will interfere with the picture giving you all kinds and clicks and pops.

If you have regular 2.4ghz DSS phones that have a channel button, you can change channels until they do not interfere.

I basically replaced our 2.4ghz phones with 5.8ghz to eliminate the problem.

I got the saucer shaped ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)