So, what did you think of the Olympic opening ceremony in HD?

tawhite

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 24, 2005
The Sunshine State
What did you think of NBCs coverage of the opening ceremony in HD? I watched it on my 942 off local NBC OTA HD. I thought parts were very bandwidth starved. There was major blocking at times, especially some of the close up shots and fast action. Some views were quite good however. How was your experience?

MacKenzieIII said:
Since dish didnt provide the HD signal for my 811 I wouldnt know :(

Ditto

Since Dish didn't make it available in HD I wouldn't know either!
I called over six times to the Dish CSRs and got different answers each time as to what Dish was doing with the Olympics coverage and no one knew. A few pointed to 9399 as their HD Olympic channel but it was SD and 2002 Olympics. Most of them said to call back after they got off shift for possible future information. Tried the Web site. Not much help.

Dish said they'd have Olympic HD Programming, which will be from Universal HD. They never said what the content would be or ever promised you NBC-HD

i watched it on channel 7.1 OTA w/ my Vip222
Being new to HD I was amazed at the difference between channel 7 and 7.1 what a difference.

Looked great to me on NBC OTA, but the audio was terrible. Sounded like Bob Costas was standing too far from his mic. Dish NBC SD sounded fine. And audio on UHD is fine, too (but that was Airport '77 ;-)

NBC is repeating the Openning Ceremonies right now (02:40 EST). The Dish Home Torino 2006 OpenTV Application has coverage listings, a nice touch.

Video quality looks real good here in Michiana on WNDU-DT. Ah-ha! WNDU-DT dropped their 480p simulcast of 16.1 so all bits are in use for 16.1!!!:D

Edit: I just saw the United Airlines commercial in HD. It's so nice having HD commercials with HD programming! Hopefully it won't be played to death like Sony's "Watcha watching?" ad was!

Last edited:
Hmmm, the downhill trials they're showing now look more like upconverted 480p (Faux Sports "Widescreen") than 1080i. Okay, make that some cameras: the one at the bottom of the run looks good.

Unfortunately, all this snow shows off the uneven phosphors on my Toshiba 34HF81 :( I guess I need to upgrade to an LCD!

Just got done watching it here in CA NBC OTA. Man, it looked great in HD! A few instances of pixelation but nothing to get excited about. I really enjoyed most of it, especially Peter Gabriel- huge fan! The modern dance thing was not my style, but I guess some people enjoy that. Now bring on the HD hockey!! :D

Caught tail end on local NBC Hd. Hope to catch re-broadcast later, have recorder set up. What I saw was Peter Gabriel doing Lennon-Imagine. Hope to get the whole thing just for that. What I saw so far was impressive.

I thought the best part was the opening scenes of Italy, the venues, and surrounding areas. the camera work was great and some of the shots were just beautiful! This opening shot came on at 8pm est. I was very impressed. As for the show itself....yawn.

Thanks for the replies. I was just wondering how it was for those who were able to receive it. I had some shots that were great and others that sucked. It seemed to be certain cameras. Some major blocking, didn't know if is was a bandwidth issue or what. It could have been my local station I guess.

BFG said:
Dish said they'd have Olympic HD Programming, which will be from Universal HD. They never said what the content would be or ever promised you NBC-HD

Really ?

From their press release:

"DISH Network also announced today that it will broadcast the NBC Olympic coverage in high definition available to all DISH Network HD viewers."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)