So what do you think of Sirius?

Foxbat said:
This is good stuff! It's nice to have some more choices for background music. Hopefully, Dish will annouce a price/deal for Sirius in portable applications. I also like that some channels are AO/NR, so the Parental locks are in effect.

Questioin for someone who already has Sirius: Do the channel #s on Dish match the Sirius channel, less the 6000?

Thank you, Dish. Now, get a solid 942 to market by Christmas...

yes
channel 1 on Sirius is 6001 on Dish

Thanks!

(I was just going to say "thanks", but the Board s/w wouldn't let me, too short a response)

Peluso said:
You are my hero. I thought I was alone in this. :)

Alone? Heck no! :) Progressive Rock has been a huge part of my life since the early 70's (egads, now I've really dated myself!). I can't get enough of it! I'd love to see a Prog Rock Sirius channel, but it looks like Classic Vinyl is about as close as we're going to get (at least for now - maybe someday...)

I just heard an old Queen track on there and now Black Dog (Zep) is playing. I can at least handle those, but some Camel, Tull, Genesis (pre-Phil lead), Kansas (pre-double live) or Spocks Beard would simply be amazing. :)

GaryPen said:
What about Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Rennaisance, ELP, Krimson, and of course....Floyd.
BTW, I'm still waiting for someone to pass the damn bong.
:shh Don't tell anyone - here! :up :bday :rainbow :bounce :haha

See, not all libertarians are stick in the muds! :wave

GaryPen said:
What about Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Rennaisance, ELP, Krimson, and of course....Floyd.
BTW, I'm still waiting for someone to pass the damn bong.

Vangelis is a bit too "atmospheric" for me, at least with the more recent stuff. Rennaisance would be great. Even some Annie Haslem solo stuff would be nice. I forgot about ELP and Floyd! Great stuff! Some "Dark Side of the Moon" would be nice. Some Supertramp and Who would be very nice also. Wasn't King Crimson mentioned earlier? Not sure now...I'd have to go back through some of the posts.

Anyway, we could keep throwing out prog bands/artists all over the place. To get back on topic, I'm just happy to have Sirius channels on Dish and while I'd like to see a prog rock channel, I know that isn't likely to happen (or at least not anytime soon). Nevertheless, that won't stop me from enjoying the offerings there that are of interest to me. :)

Why would anyone get excited about more music channels? Sirrus smirus. We already have all the music channels anyone should ever need. I have Dish for TV!!! If I want music, I can turn on the radio. Drop all the redundant music channels and give us more HD!

long_time_DNC said:
I forgot about ELP and Floyd! Great stuff! Some "Dark Side of the Moon" would be nice.
You forgot about ELP and Floyd?!!! No soup for you!
Some Supertramp and Who would be very nice also.
Never cared for Supertramp, despite having some of the best album cover art ever. I wouldn't call The Who "progressive" rock, just the greatest rock band that ever recorded and set foot on stage. I highly recommend the following DVD's, viewed back to back: The Kids Are Alright and The Who Live at Royal Albert Hall. Infriggincredible!

If I want music, I turn on Dish Network because it is commercial free, clear, and has more of a variety than the radio (at least around here). Getting the artist, song title, and cd it is on is a another big advantage satellite radio has over FM/AM radio. Most of the music I listen to are the countdowns I record to my DVR from Fuse, MTV, MTV2, and VH-1 (maybe the Top 40 Hits from Sirius as well if it changes each week as the other countdowns do).

One area that Sirius & Dish could colaborate on would be a 5.1 channel music stream. Sorround sound is taking way to long to become a standard for reasons that are too numerous to mention here. I think a sorround sound demo channel streamed to receivers that are already set to output sorround sound via dolby digital link would go a long way to helping average consumer electronics showrooms promote new music while highlighting satellite radio and Dish.

I like the selection.. I keep switching between 20 and 21. The DJ's are good, they keep it short and to the point...

And speaking of embarrasing music.. the only CD channel I listened to was Hawaiian music... the rest sucked.

I'm now thinking about getting Sirius/XM for Frogger, my green '03 Saturn Ion, still on the fence about the talk channels though. I wish a few of those can be added to the Dish streams, but I'm sure there's some commercial reasons for that.

Peluso said:
One area that Sirius & Dish could colaborate on would be a 5.1 channel music stream. Sorround sound is taking way to long to become a standard for reasons that are too numerous to mention here. I think a sorround sound demo channel streamed to receivers that are already set to output sorround sound via dolby digital link would go a long way to helping average consumer electronics showrooms promote new music while highlighting satellite radio and Dish.
You've got a great idea there! DD 5.1 is not utilized enough. There's not enough music that uses it. I'm happy that my Sony STR-DE695 can "up-process" 2 channel feeds to make a nice experience, but know that's not as good as what the artists could do at the source. As for video, too much content is advertised as DD5.1 but they don't do the necessary work to use it.

GaryPen said:
You forgot about ELP and Floyd?!!! No soup for you!

Never cared for Supertramp, despite having some of the best album cover art ever. I wouldn't call The Who "progressive" rock, just the greatest rock band that ever recorded and set foot on stage. I highly recommend the following DVD's, viewed back to back: The Kids Are Alright and The Who Live at Royal Albert Hall. Infriggincredible!

Yeah, I know. <hanging head in shame> (need an emoticon for that) :) How could I forget those two bands? Does mentioning Alan Parsons make up for it?

Those are two terrific DVDs too, Gary! Yeah, The Who weren't "progressive" rock per se, but they did a ton of great stuff! I've heard them on the Classic Vinyl channel. :)

Peluso said:

Ooooh, now here's a thought! This would push the boundary of SACD via satellite rather hard. I wonder if the bandwidth is available on the sats for that kind of audio stream? It takes a 1394 (firewire spec) port to do SACD because toslink can't handle the bitrate necessary and there isn't really much gear out there right now that has 1394 ports in the consumer A/V arena (though Sony is getting closer than most - gee, wonder why? ;) )

I agree, a 5.1 audio stream would go a long way to helping the average consumer electronics showrooms promote new gear, but could they do SACD via Dishnetwork? Anyone have any thoughts?

long_time_DNC said:
Ooooh, now here's a thought! This would push the boundary of SACD via satellite rather hard. I wonder if the bandwidth is available on the sats for that kind of audio stream? It takes a 1394 (firewire spec) port to do SACD because toslink can't handle the bitrate necessary and there isn't really much gear out there right now that has 1394 ports in the consumer A/V arena (though Sony is getting closer than most - gee, wonder why? ;) )

I agree, a 5.1 audio stream would go a long way to helping the average consumer electronics showrooms promote new gear, but could they do SACD via Dishnetwork? Anyone have any thoughts?
Could you please enlighten me on the differences between SACD and DD 5.1 - at least so far as bitrates are concerned? I mean, I thought toslink was able to push a LOT of data.

I would also like to see DD 5.1 surround sound on some of the audio stations, this would be nice for those with sound systems. They have DD for some of the video channels, why not for some of the audio channels as well?

SimpleSimon said:
Could you please enlighten me on the differences between SACD and DD 5.1 - at least so far as bitrates are concerned? I mean, I thought toslink was able to push a LOT of data.

From the reading/research I've been doing, toslink very likely has the bandwidth necessary for SACD to do 5.1, but the decodes in our preamps/receivers can't handle the bitrate. The gear out there can playback SACD, but you can only get standard stereo (analog only), which essentially that defeats the point in my opinion.

DD 5.1 and DTS requires around 18kHz - 20kHz bandwidth at it's present compression rate.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/art.../articles/techarticles/DolbyVsDTS/Dolby.shtml

SACD requires 100kHz bandwidth, minimum.

http://www.wired4music.com/SACD.htm

As I said, I'd be willing to bet that the cable can handle the bandwidth, it's the decoder that can't handle the bitrate, which is why Sony (and others) are going the 1394 (firewire) route.

Unfortunately for most of us, that'll mean more equipment replacements in order to enjoy the newer formats to their fullest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)