GEOSATpro So what is Fred555 doing wrong here?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

fred555

Pub Member
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 18, 2014
77W
Part II of my fruitless search to find a suitable recording platform. Just ditched Tvheadend and now on to the microHD.

I am trying to set up recording on something besides the Amiko Mini HD SE receivers. The two I have currently are for watching and are not available for recording. So its on to the MicroHD.

I have a 3TB MYBook, the only external USB drive in stock at my local Staples. It works fine connected to my laptop. It shows 3TB size and is formatted NTFS. I plug it into my MicroHD and it shows size of
740GB with 0 free space. It will not record an says I'm out of space.

What am I doing wrong here?

Part II of my fruitless search to find a suitable recording platform. Just ditched Tvheadend and now on to the microHD.

I am trying to set up recording on something besides the Amiko Mini HD SE receivers. The two I have currently are for watching and are not available for recording. So its on to the MicroHD.

I have a 3TB MYBook, the only external USB drive in stock at my local Staples. It works fine connected to my laptop. It shows 3TB size and is formatted NTFS. I plug it into my MicroHD and it shows size of
740GB with 0 free space. It will not record an says I'm out of space.

What am I doing wrong here?

RE-Format it using the Microhd's internal function to do so.

I had to do that once, when one of my drives on the MicroHD said the same thing. That was a few years ago, and I haven't had that error since then. I sucked off all the recordings, reformatted it with the MicroHD, then put the recordings back.

P.S. My drive is 1TB, I'm not sure a larger one will work with the MicroHD, but try the above and see...

Yep, what Primestar said. I tried to get a hold of you earlier but your phone must be dead.

OK its is an externally powered drive. Maybe I can set up with a 2TB partition and try again. I will just loose the extra 1TB.
It makes sense that maybe 3TB is too big?

Well formated it as NTFS on the uHD, Sees it as a 3TB drive with 0 free space.
Time to partition down to 2 TB and reformat on the uHD.

Partitioned down to 2TB and the uHD sees the drive as 2TB now with 2TB of free space! :clapping
Lost a whole TB of disk. May be able to format that TB and switch to that partition if needed
in the future.

Lesson of the day:
The MicroHD will not be able to use a drive bigger than 2TB.

ARRGGHH! When I hit record, it says "No record Partition"
I formatted NTFS on the receiver.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Then tried Fat format on the uHD and then it did not see the free space. Tried to format again and said format failed!

Starting over. Formating NTFS on laptop and unchecked quick format this time.
I will find out in a few hours if this works.

Now understand how DeAnn feels sometimes:

baby-crying.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't ever recorded anything on my microHD, but when playing with the setup I once used a external enclosure with two 2TB drives. The microHD saw them both, USB A and USB B. I then had to specify which drive to use in the menu. You may need to appoint a location or name it correctly, something like that.

It just well may be that even though you partitioned that 3TB drive it is still a dynamic volume instead of simple. And will not work.

I built the 2 TB as a simple volume but you might be right. I will know for sure in another few hours.

UPDATE: unchecked quick format in Windows on the 2TB simple volume. Format took a long long time.

It is working to record on the MicroHD. Still a waste of 1 TB. One more experiment. I will partition
back to a 3TB volume, do a non-quick format and see what happens.

After all is said and done, I will probably use the 3TB disk for storage of recordings and not use it with the MicroHD
since I found a 1TB drive.

In the interest of informing members, I will try this one last experiment with the 3TB partition.

Reactions: Magic Static
UPDATE: unchecked quick format in Windows on the 2TB simple volume. Format took a long long time.

It is working to record on the MicroHD. Still a waste of 1 TB. One more experiment. I will partition
back to a 3TB volume, do a non-quick format and see what happens.

After all is said and done, I will probably use the 3TB disk for storage of recordings and not use it with the MicroHD
since I found a 1TB drive.

In the interest of informing members, I will try this one last experiment with the 3TB partition.

Here's what you could do if nothing else. Make another partition out of the other 1 TB, format that as well. If you are recording to keep permanently, like trying to amass a recording library, and if the MicroHD can't see that other partition, simply move some of those recordings over to the other partition, which then frees up space on the partition the MicroHD can see. And when it's all said and done, you still get to use the entire 3 TBs.

Reactions: fred555
So there is a 2TB limit on partition size on this receiver. If you can only find a larger size drive partition into multiple simple volumes no larger than 2TB each. You should be able to select the various partitions you wish to mount.

I did learn something about Windows volumes:
http://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/

I wish ext4 was an option on all receivers. Its more robust, has none of the silly limitations and is already widely deployed on most Linux devices, even the Pi.

I will continue to record on the 1TB drive and use the 3TB drive for archiving in addition to primary copies on my NAS.

Thanks to everyone for their input, I now understand what Fred555 was doing wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)