So what should I do with my Sat provider?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KDRE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
Should I bother waiting until the end of the month?

Should I just call Directv or Dish now and get a new service.

Seriously, make it plain without going into the zone of talking about transponders.. Just laymens terms..

I know it's about gone now.. will we get a Dish offer to switch or should I just dump Voom now and move on?

It's completely up to you. Nobody can tell you exactly what's gonna happen 'cuz no one knows. Personally, I'm stickin' with Voom until they go dark. Why not? I'll make a decision on another provider then, but will probably just stick with OTA for a while.

If the thought of being without a provider for a week or two panics you, or is simply out of the question, then yes -- dump Voom and go with one of the others. Nobody knows exactly when Voom will stop its service -- maybe it'll happen overnight with no warning whatsoever, maybe there'll be a nice big press announcement that will give a darkness time and date, and plenty of time to schedule an installation with another company. Who knows?

KDRE said:
Should I bother waiting until the end of the month?

Should I just call Directv or Dish now and get a new service.

Seriously, make it plain without going into the zone of talking about transponders.. Just laymens terms..

I know it's about gone now.. will we get a Dish offer to switch or should I just dump Voom now and move on?
I am sticking it out for several reasons.

1. Dish could make us an offer.
2. It could take months to get FCC approval of the deal and Voom says it will keep the service going during the transition period. No one knows what that means frankly.
3. Do you really think they are going to pay to send someone out to deinstall 26,000 subscribers? If rumors are true and you unhook the cable from the box before Voom deactivates it then you may end up with a free OTA tuner or two.
4. I want to watch as much HD as I can and Voom has the most.

I dont want to go without a provider. I dont want to wait until there is no longer a signal .I am curious however if we'll get a deal from E*

You think its possible they'll let us know when they plan to disconnect?

You might want to start shopping now. While it's certainly possible that they'll give us a disconnect date, I would deem it unlikely at best. As long as people don't know for sure when it's gonna end, there's a chance they'll keep sendin' in checks ( or not change credit card numbers ). I just don't see how it would be to their advantage to let us know when it goes dark. I hope I'm wrong.

TheTimm said:
maybe there'll be a nice big press announcement that will give a darkness time and date, and plenty of time to schedule an installation with another company. Who knows?

I'm not sure they know how to tell 26,000 people that there TV is going dark. Imagine causing 26,000 people calling at the same time to yell at you. Imagine preparing your CRS's to handle the outrage. You think it was hard to get a CRS before!

joemama said:
I'm not sure they know how to tell 26,000 people that there TV is going dark. Imagine causing 26,000 people calling at the same time to yell at you. Imagine preparing your CRS's to handle the outrage. You think it was hard to get a CRS before!
:yikes Yeah, I'm not saying it's likely, just possible. I wouldn't bet on it -- that's why I said...
TheTimm said:
You might want to start shopping now. While it's certainly possible that they'll give us a disconnect date, I would deem it unlikely at best.
:)

i have made arangements with the local cable company. The selection of HD is laughable. Adelphia Simi Valley has ESPN, HBO west, Showtime West, and the local channels in HD. They have a DVR that records 8 hours of HD. I will pay for both services until the demise of Voom. If Dish makes an offer to transition my account, I will transfer my account. Dish does not have a DVR that will record HD. Directv offers a tivo hd unit, but charges a $1,000.00 for the unit. The selection on Directv is not that great. After researching the options, Voom was quite special.

I really feel for the VOOM subscribers that aren't aware of this forum, much less what is going down at some future point...VOOM really should notify every subscriber as to a service termination date when it is apparent...at least go out with a little honor (honor in business should still exist in 2005) :usa and that much of an aknowledgement of the 26K that hung in there...I guess I'll have to tell my next door neighbor who just had VOOM recently installed on my enthusiasm-don't think he's gotten on the forum yet... !sadroll

I don't think we have seen the entire story yet. Dish did buy the Sat and the station, but that does not mean that Cablevision is not in additional negotiations with Dish or another provider to carry all or part of the VOOM package. Either way, I am sure we all will be getting emails for either VOOM , Dish or whoever. 30K subscribers are small but picking up 75% of those is a nice fish to catch in one a weeks time. should also be some very interesting enticements too. We are not abandoned... we will be prime targets of opportunity for some. Just look at who we are and the investment we have made? Each subcriber is valued to be worth at least $1500 on the open market in terms of our value to a provider. If my math is right, That is a value of 30 million dollars to be added to some providers net worth. Not a small piece of change and an asset of Voom. But they have to move quickly or it evaporates in all this sad news.

GJetson said:
I really feel for the VOOM subscribers that aren't aware of this forum, much less what is going down at some future point...VOOM really should notify every subscriber as to a service termination date when it is apparent...at least go out with a little honor (honor in business should still exist in 2005) :usa and that much of an aknowledgement of the 26K that hung in there...I guess I'll have to tell my next door neighbor who just had VOOM recently installed on my enthusiasm-don't think he's gotten on the forum yet... !sadroll
The silence is deafening.... :no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)