So what's the real deal on the "lease fee"?

polksda

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Urbana, IL
I've been reading people claiming that the monthly $6 "lease fee" is only on additional receivers after the first, that the "lease fee" is built into the programming for the first receiver/tuner.

Apparently not.

I ran headlong into a brick wall when trying to upgrade my current HD to the new package/receiver.

I'm a current E* subscriber and own an 811, which is my only receiver.

I wanted to upgrade to the 211 with the BronzeHD package + locals.

I was told that my costs would be the following:

$49.00 one-time installation/upgrade fee
$54.99 monthly recurring for BronzeHD + locals
$6.00 monthly recurring for "lease fee"

I tried explaining that I didn't think the lease fee was correct for a non-DVR single-tuner account. Punjab wouldn't budge.

So what's the deal? Is the $6.00 fee incorrect in my case, or is it really going to be $16.00 extra per month (over the $9.99 I'm paying now) to get the new HD?

Tired of the different deals for different folks BS.

From the Dish Terms and Conditions:
Monthly Fees and Payments.
"...Equipment Rental Fee: An equipment rental fee of $6.00 per month (in the case of a model 411, ViP211 or ViP622 DVR receiver) or $5.00 per month (in all other cases) for the first receiver activated is included in the promotional base programming package price. An additional equipment rental fee of $6.00 per month (in the case of a model 411, ViP211 or ViP622 DVR receiver) or $5.00 per month (in all other cases) will be charged to your account for each receiver activated beyond the first (for the purpose of determining the amount of this fee, model 411, ViP211, and ViP622 DVR receivers shall be deemed to be activated prior to all other receivers); DISH Network DVR Service Fee: A $5.98 per month DISH Network DVR service fee will be charged to your account for each model 510, 522, 625, or ViP622 DVR receiver activated....

Link HERE

According to the qouted above, you pay a $6 lease fee for the first reciever, then for any additional recievers that you have, instead of paying a $6 lease fee for each, you pay a $5 additional reciever fee for each one.

Because you'd be upgrading to a 211 through the Dish'n it up promo, you pay the lease fee, even if it ends being the only receiver you have.

kdg454 said:
From the Dish Terms and Conditions:
Monthly Fees and Payments.
"...Equipment Rental Fee: An equipment rental fee of $6.00 per month (in the case of a model 411, ViP211 or ViP622 DVR receiver) or $5.00 per month (in all other cases) for the first receiver activated is included in the promotional base programming package price.

Isn't it saying the first receiver price is included in the programming package price?:confused:

That's for the Digital Home Advantage promotion for receivers.

Dish'n it up has different terms for leased receivers and all those receivers have monthly fees ($5 for SD, $6 for HD)

I have a 811 on one set where I cancelled the crummy 10 dollar HD pack.. For some reason, they never asked for that receiver back and I still enjoy all my OTA locals for free. I was thinking of getting a new HD tv for my living room and going with the 622 to replace my 322. But with what you are saying, my bill will go up 26 dollars a month over my AT120 with a 322 and a 811. Right now I pay 50 dollars a month for a 322 hooked to two TV's and a 811 on a third with the AT120. I think that is a pretty sweet deal.

Since Dish wants 300 dollars for me to lease there 622, I think I will buy a HDTV that has a built in HD tuner or just buy one for my OTA locals. I may be interested in getting a HDDVD or BR as well.. But I think I will stay with what I have. These new metallic packs with all the lease fees and enabling fees etc... is not a value for me anymore. Dish was always a great value for the money in the past.. but I do not like the all or nothing bundling that Dish is taking on their new HD packages.

So I have decided to stick with my 811 with free OTA locals and if Dish decides they want to try to force me to upgrade to mpeg 4 receivers and hike my bill in the process, then I will be looking for other options.. I may try USB tv at that point.

samatha6 said:
I have a 811 on one set where I cancelled the crummy 10 dollar HD pack.. For some reason, they never asked for that receiver back and I still enjoy all my OTA locals for free.

YOu don't have to be subscribed to the HD pack to lease a 811, hence, that is why they did not ask for it back when you canceled it.

My friend has a 622, 721, 311, and 508. We call E* to find out how much additional it would be to swap out the 721 for a 622. Here's what the lady said:

$300 upfront fee for the privilege of leasing the equipment
$20 monthly for HD programming.
$6 DVR access fee; whatever that is
$5 Extra fee if it isn't connected to a phone line.

I completely disagree with the phone line fee. Many people nowadays use a Vonage type service, which limits the phone wires that can be run. Also with the $6 fee as opposed to the norm. $5 extra IRD fee. I mean it's only a dollar more but I don't see what the extra is for. According to the CSR.."it's for the ability to use the DVR for HD" but i mean come on...i don't see how it's different from a regular DVR. They both do the same thing; record.

All in all, for a year of HD, it would be $672. All that and you don't own the receiver.

So if the lease fee is included with the package price for one promotion, if you purchase a 622 or other HD unit you shouldn't have to pay the lease fee so the package price should be less? There is definitely not a lot of consistency with the details on the various promotions.

rhollinger said:
So if the lease fee is included with the package price for one promotion, if you purchase a 622 or other HD unit you shouldn't have to pay the lease fee so the package price should be less? There is definitely not a lot of consistency with the details on the various promotions.
I don't know if this will assist in figuring it out or not.
I just got my new statement from Dish.

Leased VIP622 - $6.00/mo - leased receiver fee (leased using current upgrade)
DVR Service - $.00/mo (waived with PlatHD pkg)
Own VIP211 - $6.00/mo - addl receiver access fee
Own 921 - $5.00/mo - addl receiver access fee
Own 811 - $5.00/mo - addl receiver access fee

I believe the "package price for one promotion" applies to new customers who lease an HD receiver, and agree to 18 months of medal HD programming, in which, the leased receiver fee would be waived.

No wonder the CSR's can't figure it out :shocked

Last edited by a moderator:
What it all means is Dish wants their 5 or 6 dolls a month from us on every thing we have no matter how they must hide it in the wording. They have us coming or going at least that's what I get out of it anyway.
Take locals guide info for instance, if you want the epg data you must pay 5 a month for locals, duh of course we want the guide but also notice how some units you pay for it and some you do not. The new units we must pay for locals and that was Dish's choice to get mo money from us, bottom line.

I will be curios to see what they do down the road when they get most of the markets in HD, will they find a way to charge more for that since most will not need the guide info any longer.

On Dual tuner receivers that have can indepented viewing on 2 rooms, they make you keep it connected to a phone line or else they charge a $5 fee. This fee applies to the 322,522,625,942,622

RobertsD said:
If you have a DVR, which is two tuners, and you don't have it plugged into a phone line, you get charged a $5 fee for the second tuner.

I have been told its because its cheaper for them to upload updates via phone line.. Otherwise your receiver must use precious bandwidth from the satellite to update.

samatha6 said:
I have been told its because its cheaper for them to upload updates via phone line.. Otherwise your receiver must use precious bandwidth from the satellite to update.
Samatha6, please don't take this as bashing YOU, but rather the person who told you this. Not only is that completely wrong, but it doesn't make any sense either. Updates to both guide data and receiver software are always sent out via satellite.

The phone line connection is simply for E*'s benefit in that the receiver "phones home" occasionally and they can extract from the callerid whether all your receivers are using the phone number on your account. They also hope that you will occasionally order PPV events which is easier with the line connected.

The fee for the line not being connected started with the introduction of the 322 and 522, which incidentally have a nag popup to remind you of the fee.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts