So who has GoogleTV?

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
Anyone here at Satelliteguys have GoogleTV? If so post a review and some pictures if possible. :)

GoogleTV was much hyped before launch but ultimately turned out to be a big -FAIL-. Might have been a bit too soon. The upcoming AndroidTV is the thing to be watching for. Looks quite promising this time around.

Google sent all tech sites a Google TV to review before they came out.

When I got mine I was excited to hook it up and when I did I was shocked at how bad it was.

I sent an email to a friend from Engadget asking him if this thing was as big of a piece of sh*t as I thought it was.

He quickly emIled me back and said he was just about to ask me the same thing.

I had to figure out a way to write about it without upsetting Google as I didn't want them to cut me off from reviewing new products.

So I ended up writing about it in the most positive way possible and ended up calling it a diamond in the rough. I just didn't say how rough. :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: T134
It did some things well that you cannot do any more since they cut flash off from it. The main problem is that all the content companies worked night and day to cut it off.

Yep I purchased my Sony GS7 in August of 2012 for $199.Outside of flash being not updated they did promise us a browser upgrade from HC3.2 to JB4.2 which we all aren't expecting to get since AndroidTV has been announced.My Roku3 is a better streamer and the browser is S-L-O-W.Even at $99 for the Sony now I wouldn't throw my money away on something obsolete already.Finally got the Asus M004U Chrome Box from amazon and paired up with the Logitech K400 and have been completely satisfied.Your best bet is a Roku3 for the same money with more choices of channels/apps!

If you're looking at the LG or Sony Google TVs, I'd suggest you to maybe look at other options, in other words, don't suggest buying one. It's best to buy a box like Roku or the Samsung Blu-Ray ones. I own a 46 inch Sony Google TV from 2011 and it's not quite as reliable as it should be. Even with fast internet speeds, it's still running very slow. Netflix, Hulu, Pandora... just get a tablet or a smart player. The main reason why I bought the TV was the Google Chrome browser. Not many devices and boxes have a browser set in so I figured it was worth a try. Very slow. But that's old technology, I've heard that the newer LG ones are a lot better than the original Sonys. Besides, I have no knowledge of anyone else owning a Google TV.

If you are a Dish customer, I am aware that the Virtual Joey is available in their app store for the LG TV. That might come in handy. But as the guys are saying, hopefully the AndroidTV is worth looking at. But apparently, Google doesn't want people to use a browser so there won't be one.

I have a sony google tv, nsx40. I have dish receiver and eagle cable. eagle just bought out Nebraska cable network in our town. the dish works a lot better with the sony than the eagle cable. the eagle sd pix are stretched and can't find a solution for that. the dish sd shows properly on the tv. I don't do google but when the kids come to visit, they do Netflix to get movies for the grandkids. other than that, I don't do the internet on the tv. chas

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts