So who is going to offer the best deal for Ex Voom customers

jtrayall

Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Voom was my first satelite experience and I guess I now have to make that big choice. Do you think the other satellite company's are going to try and capture the thousands of soon to be Ex Voom customer with a great deal of some sort? It would be very interesting to see what's in the near future for us. :shocked

I don't expect much. There's only 40,000 of us. In the overall scheme of things, we're worth diddly.

There is a link to Dishstore.net offering 2 recievers free and 6 months free HD pack.. $250 DVR upgrade option.

I just can't justify buying some sat equipment that is obsolete before you open the box. D*/E* only gives the 'deals' to new customers so I think the only real option is to lease an HD DVR from the local cable company until D* / E* get thier MPG4 to market.

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
There is a link to Dishstore.net offering 2 recievers free and 6 months free HD pack.. $250 DVR upgrade option.

I just can't justify buying some sat equipment that is obsolete before you open the box. D*/E* only gives the 'deals' to new customers so I think the only real option is to lease an HD DVR from the local cable company until D* / E* get thier MPG4 to market.

Shawn

Exactly.... That is why on April 27th I have scheduled an install for Cox HD service here in Phoenix. I can lease 1 HD DVR and 1 regular HD box (2 HDTV's) with subscriptions to HBO, Showtime and Starz HD channels, along with the other 11 HD channels (six of these are local though) plus another variety pack of SD channels for around $90.00 a month. This also allows for a basic cable hookup on my other SD set. No installation fee and no commitment.... It is not V*... but it will have to do until some other provider decides to bring more HD content to their line up.

did the cable route for now

Went with the cable route for now since I told them I was quoted 55 for their 75.00 service with 2 HD boxes and on a month to month contract. They bought it! Now i will just wait to see if voom21 shows up somewhere or the Dish comps. make an offer to us soon to be ex-Voomers.

-Scott

I had an order for comcast to come install today. They were supposed to arrive between 9-11 this morning. When 1:00 PM rolled around and they still weren't here, I called and cancelled.

The more I think about it the more I realize there is nothing that can compare with Voom either in content or quality. I have dish service without any frills, and I will NOT go with their HD package as it stands today. I got burned so bad with their bug-ridden 921 that I have lost a lot of confidence in Dish

Whoever is the first one to have the content and quality of Voom will get my business

Comcast has nice introductory offers in my area - but the price jumps down the road.

It wouldn't be bad if you knew you would be cancelling for something better in six months. I did that with DSL ... did six months of Comcast DSL until Verizon finally got DSL running (at less than half the monthly cost). Just don't get burned by an install charge that ruins the discount. :)

JL

exactly justalurker.... verizon is bringing out very high speed interent (fiber) and with it their HD service. I dont want to tie myself to any company with them on the horizon.

What is really sad is the best deal here is OTA. Comcast doesn't have HDTV, D* & E* has less than what I get off the air.

CBS-SD
CBS-HD
ABC-HD
NBC-SD
NBC-HD
FOX-HD
WB-HD
PBS-HD
PBS You
PBS Kids
Annenburg/CPB Channel
Local Weather Radar
America's Store

6-HD and 7-SD, 13 channels for $0.00 I've seen much worse line-ups costing $12.00 to $20.00 per month. I'm really going to miss VOOM, but I'm not going to throw money away for inferior services no matter how much they entice me.

Although possible, I don't see anyone stepping forward to offer a "deal" to us VOOM subscribers. We are too small in numbers to affect the bottom line and our voices are too loud since we demand lots of high quality HD...we're just not worth D* or E*'s effort. Plus, VOOM has released us from our programming commitment effective 30 April and many of us have already made other arrangements. We would have already been contacted if a deal were in the works. Nobody is going to show us the love.

riffjim4069 said:
Although possible, I don't see anyone stepping forward to offer a "deal" to us VOOM subscribers. We are too small in numbers to affect the bottom line and our voices are too loud since we demand lots of high quality HD...we're just not worth D* or E*'s effort. Plus, VOOM has released us from our programming commitment effective 30 April and many of us have already made other arrangements. We would have already been contacted if a deal were in the works. Nobody is going to show us the love.
So Who and How do you get in touch with the folks at verizon????? I am sure if I call the number at the verizon Home page they are going to say WHAT .. I had seen this on my local news channel, But there is no mention of this on there HP..........

Dog6869 said:
So Who and How do you get in touch with the folks at verizon????? I am sure if I call the number at the verizon Home page they are going to say WHAT .. I had seen this on my local news channel, But there is no mention of this on there HP..........
Ok, I'm lost since I didn't mention Verizon in this thread. However, the potential for Verizon as a serious HD providers sounds great, but I live in a Verizon area and have been on Verizon's DSL waiting list for more than 5 years...don't see how they are going to provide us with fiber to the home or HD services when they can't even provide us with DSL. It's not like I live in the sticks: part of the 8th largest DMA, metro area of 160K people, Adelphia/Cox/Comcast divy up the city and surrounding area.

I will be returning to Adelphia and their 12 measly HD channels and low-cost HD DVRs (I will be renting three of them) is my ONLY choice of HD provider for the foreseeable future. Verizon is a non-player in my home and in many others at this time. It's too bad because we certainly need more HD choices and, like a mentioned, there is tremendous potential for Verizon to become a serious provider. Personally, I hope the VOOM21 channels survive...however, given current bandwidth constraints C. Dolan can give them away and we may not see them.

LeahMyers said:
Should we,or do we have to pay are April bill ?

Personally, I will pay for what I have used. If I have service though the 30th, and that's what they bill me for, I'll pay it. The only thing is, voom has been very flaky in sending me bills. I have received one bill in the last 4 months. If they send me a bill, I'll pay it. If they don't send me one, I'm certainly not going to call them and complain about it.

LeahMyers said:
Should we,or do we have to pay our April bill ?
My billing date is the 17th so I am already paid through to the 16th of April. I'm under a 6 month contract because I added receivers in December, but I planned on staying with VOOM until the end anyway. My only problem is I only have time in my schedule to have Cable installed on the 15th and I don't feel like paying for twice for Premium Channels and all those Cable Favorites I don't watch. Anyway, I called VOOM because I was going to downgrade to VOOM since I will be getting Cable. They would not do it, but Ronnie, a very nice VOOM CSR, told me that VOOM is no longer billing for services in April. That's sound good to me, but I had her note this in my account just in case VOOM's billing department screws up.

lostcause said:
I don't expect much. There's only 40,000 of us. In the overall scheme of things, we're worth diddly.

That's much more likely 50k-60k - it was 46k at the end of Feb and I bet they added between 4k-15k new subs by now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)