So, who would like one of these? (Dish Tuner for an HTPC)

I'd only be interested in a couple of cases.

1> If the saved programs could be stored and organized easily.
2> If the saved programs could be burned to DVD.
3> If the saved programs could go to portable devices.

DRM is obviously a given, but if the programming is NOT portable in any form (much like how it is on Vista MC and Windows MCE), it would serve no purpose.

I do think they'd put a hurting to the cable company (as well as to Tivo, since the S3's content isn't portable so far) if they are able to make this happen.

--Droo, @Network

My dream box? A satellite input (or two), and a firewire 800 jack.

Plug the F-ing thing in, control channels through it (over firewire, and there are standards for this), if nothing is available to control the channels you could simply use the usual IR input (or up/down/power buttons on the box) and take the input as normal DV.

But noo.. It's gotta be some crappy ass DRMed PCI POS with a bunch of funky (poorly made) windows drivers that'll probably go to crap the moment the next service pack comes out >_>

No thanks.

I doubt this would neutralize anything. Ask the typical TV watcher what HTPC means? I'm sure you'll get the standard Radioshack patented blank stare.
I was thinking the same thing...I don't think D* would lose sleep over losing 10-20 customers. As much as I like gadgets, the average Joe could care less about this, USB Storage, MPEG-4, etc.

I'd only be interested in a couple of cases.

1> If the saved programs could be stored and organized easily.
2> If the saved programs could be burned to DVD.
3> If the saved programs could go to portable devices.

DRM is obviously a given, but if the programming is NOT portable in any form (much like how it is on Vista MC and Windows MCE), it would serve no purpose.

I do think they'd put a hurting to the cable company (as well as to Tivo, since the S3's content isn't portable so far) if they are able to make this happen.

--Droo, @Network

You are dreaming man....isn't that the point of DRM? To cripple media beyond any usability?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts