So whos getting an IPHONE?

As a software developer, I am a huge fan of the intelligent design and the standards for the user experience that Apple puts into its products... and there really is no better place for that than in a mobile device. I've tried Windows Mobile devices and felt that I had to fight it every step of the way to get it to do what I wanted.

BUT...

$600 for an (admittedly sexy) EDGE phone and locked into a contract with AT&T for 2 years? For version 1.0? Naw. Sticking with my Sidekick 3 for now.

I do not know how I would live with such little memory either. I have 3 Ipods, a 40gb, an 80gb and a shuffle (the clip on one). The shuffle with its tiny memory is really only good for the gym where I put a specific play list on it. The 80GB one only holds about 35 movies (ones I have ripped from DVD). Even 8GB iphone would have trouble holding all my songs condensed down to 128kbits and 1 movie. My songs are about 20GB right now (using lossless).

Of course I understand that the hard drive sucks down the batteries, but I think I will wait a bit for them to double/quadrupal the memory in it. 16GB probably where I would start seeing it being useful. Also I would like to see ipods/iphones increase resolution. 720x480 would be ideal since it would match DVD and I could just rip my entire DVD collection to it.

I plan on getting one, but not till the hype dies down, and all these diehards get there hands on theirs first. I believe they will be out of stock mostly till X-mas, where it will be the big thing to have. I'm probably looking at early '08 for myself. I've been a Cingular/AT&T subscriber myself for 8 years now so no big deal. I just got a Sync in January, which was mainly for the MP3 player, 2MB camera and 3G Video service which I pay the extra $20 for the unlimited data useage plan. So my Sync pretty much has the same capability as the iPhone but just doesn't have the bigger storage or the snazzy interface. Although I still plan on getting one though, just not in a hurry. I do have to say Apple puts out some well made products. I use my Nano everyday in my car and I don't know what radio sounds like anymore.

I'm gonna get one. Probably not for a month or two. As far as price goes, crap I paid almost 600 bucks for my treo several years ago, and the iPhone makes my treo look old school. (But to be fair, there was a $150 rebate with the treo, with a 2 yr contract.) The EDGE thing kinda sucks, but 3G isn't all that widespread yet anyway, if you look a coverage map. But in a couple of years when I upgrade again, the newest iPhone will be even better, and so will the network. I think I've had my treo almost four years. I owe myself an upgrade!

I love new gadgets! (But I admit, it comes at a price!)

I just extended my contract last month getting the 8525 refurb for $100.00. I need the phone to tether to the laptop, watch my slingbox and, of course, make calls. Never had any interest in the IPod craze, probably never will.

1st I will stick with Verizon, 2nd no way would I spend 499 or 599 for a phone. I just did the Free 2 year update for my wife and my phone and it has everything that we want in a phone, my daughter got the Enve phone for $50, I would not pay any more then that for a freekin cell phone.

HA I-phone Doesn't HAve Video Recording , Only snap pics, Slime buckets Promoting YouTube as if you could actually send clips there ( I know you can watch them but thats not the point , you tube is a 2 way street:D , where as the I-phone is traveling down a 1 way street, and @ $600 + $60 to $100 month plan for 2 years, No thanx , I'll take one when there $99:D and HAVE ACTUAL VIDEO RECORDING capabilities

I dont like that you can only recharge it 400 - 500 times and then you need to send it back to Apple for battery replacement.

Why can't I just change the battery myself?

I couldnt downgrade from a blackberry to the i-phone! Like father like son. Macs have little place in large business, i-phones have little place in large business etc. It looks "Neat" but the core functionailty isnt there for me. Anyone who has had a blackberry for work related use or otherwise even would likely be hesitant to go to anything but that...

Many reasons that I won't be one of the first to own an iPhone, most have been mentioned already. For me, I don't have a mobile phone/PDA/browser because I'm NOT made of money. The cheapest plan will be $60/mo. Not for me, thanks, since my current AT&T plan is $25. I've got another year on my RAZR, but I'm sure AT&T would let me "trade-up" to the iPhone for $600. And maybe in another year, AT&T will have the 3G version of the iPhone available.

As far as Apple's part in all this, I think the iPhone needs to have GPS, a user-replaceable battery, Bluetooth (or better yet, Wi-Fi) syncing with iTunes instead of the USB 2 dock, and the ability to add more storage space.

I'll head over to the AT&T store on Saturday to check it out, for sure, but I'm keeping my RAZR for the foreseeable future...

Last edited:
I have two phones! My personal phone with AT&T Motorola RAZR Platinum V3xx with their 3G Network (still slow) and the other business phone Sprint Palm Treo 700wx with their Power Vision Network which is so much faster than the AT&T 3G Network. I love my Treo. I may someday down the road upgrade to a IPhone if the network from AT&T is different than the current service.

No way... too pricy, and too many bugs/ potential bugs and security problems... it's a lot like first gen Ipods... wait a few years and prices will drop and quality of the thing will improve. More and more hackers are aiming their exploits at Apple Products since all those folks with Macs have the false sense of security that they are protected from bugs and trojans and stuff since they have the almighty Apple products. Fools need to get a clue. There's probably more holes in this thing than in an unpatched Windows 95 computer

I think the lack of 3G is misleading. I live in the greater LA area and there are still only a few areas with good 3G coverage. Most everything is EDGE. So far with my Cingular video subscription, EDGE has been doing just fine for me. From the early reviews so far, I don't think too many are complaining about it either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)