Soccer on WorldSport: UEFA Cup or Frienly Matches? What would you prefer?

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
This poll is for those who like watching European Soccer on WorldSportHD. (Please, ignore it if you are not a soccer fan :))

VOOM is currently deciding between two possible options and needs your opinion!

In addition to weekly live broadcasts from Spain, WorldSport channel is doing live UEFA Cup coverage, as you know. However, there are two options. Which one would you prefer?

1. They can do one game from every leg of the UEFA Cup (except the finals), or

2. They can do most of the UEFA Cup legs, and some friendly matches.​

I don't know which specific matches they have in mind, but here is what we watched last season, to give you an idea:

Friendly
Barcelona - China
Portugal - Italy
Portugal - England
Belgium - France

UEFA Cup
Marseille - Newcastle
Villarreal - Valencia
Marseille - Inter Milan
Marseille - Liverpool
Villareal - Roma
Villareal - Galatasaray
PSV Eindhoven - Peruggia
Sochaux - I.Milan​

My vote: cup games! It's always more fun when there's something more concrete on the line.

-F

how about both :D
if you go with option one will we see the finals.I'm not into friendly matches but i would like to see more uefa cup including the finals.i would also like to see more spanish soccer.

I will go with only the UEFA cup. The only friendly match that I saw last year was China vs Barcelona and it was no contest. I haven't seen much of it but I think the UEFA cup makes more sense.

I guess it all really depends on what friendly games. (I do remember that China vs Barcelona match an I would definitely take any Cup game over that one!)

And no, finals are not an option, from what I was told, though we should get semi-finals as we did last season.

It would be interesting to see South-American teams in friendly matches for a change, but overall, Cup games are usually more interesting IMO and are taken much more seriously. Also, club teams are better trained, than national teams. I vote for option One though if WorldSport decides to through in a friendly match at some point, I wouldn't really mind!

DarrellP said:
How about something other than soccer once in awhile? All the games look alike to me.
Please feel free to post your suggestions in the Customer Comments forum. This thread is about a different question, though. OT messages will be deleted... sorry, DarrellP ;)

I'd be interested in them using their resources for covering more La Liga games. One per week isn't enough. How about expanding to cover some of the English premier league matches? Maybe they could show Foxsports how to do HD. That said, the UEFA cup games win over the friendly, hands down.

Vince2 said:
How about expanding to cover some of the English premier league matches?
They currently have just a single crew, and traveling between Spain and England every week would not be easy, if possible at all ;)
Also, since English League games are on PPV, there might be some licensing restrictions, I think.

I vote UEFA Cup games for the same reason...they actually mean something. Champion's League would be even better, but I guess those rights are sold to somebody else....ESPN.

From Paul:

Perosnally I would rather Do UEFA Cup games - there is something at stake.

Saying that, there are some friendlies that are worth doing (we'll forget the Barca - China game that was the hardest 90 minutes of my life : if you remember China had 1 player called Wang and another called Dong and it was almost impossible to keep a straight face)

Sid spent the whole game pressing the 'mute button' and laughing like a hyena along with all the technical crew - while someone had to soldier on........

Anyhow, there are games worth seeing - anything with England (hurrah) or games that will always be needle matches - France - germany, Portugal - Spain etc, but onnthe whole the UEFA is better (although i can understand it's annoying to see it all EXCEPT the final) - it is for me too.

With a bit of luck we will also do Spanish Copa del Rey which starts nexy month and that should mean 2 games a week.

Also now the UEFA gets into group stages, it will be more competitive as most of the weaker sides are out (last night all of the Spanish sides got through -including Athletic Bilbao who came back from the dead to knock out a Turkish side Trazbonspor

Still i expect most of our euro trips will be to France, Belgium, Holland and VIllarreal -

Auxerre was a great town but i beleive we had problems sending the signal - you will however all be pleased to know that i managed to get my hands on a decent crate of local wine.
cheers - speak to you all on Sunday
PAUL

Saying that, there are some friendlies that are worth doing (we'll forget the Barca - China game that was the hardest 90 minutes of my life : if you remember China had 1 player called Wang and another called Dong and it was almost impossible to keep a straight face)

Paul needs to announce a tourny with China, Brazil, and England of a few years ago in the same group. China has Wang and Dong, Brazil has doo-doo (Dudu) and ca-ca (Kaka), and England had butt (Butt) and semen (Seaman). We just need one more team to round out this obscene 4 team group.

"With a bit of luck we will also do Spanish Copa del Rey which starts nexy month and that should mean 2 games a week."

PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE!!!!!!! Great work guys!

Ok, I would agree with most of the people here that the UEFA Cup games would me more interesting to watch than the Barcelona-China. As much as I am a die hard FCB fan(and hate real madrid :D , sorry madrid fans :) ) that game was horrible!!! Copa del Rey games would be a nice addition but I think that best of all would be more La liga games during the week. As many Barcelona, Valencia and Atletico Madrid games as possible.
Cheers everyone.

Barça, barça, baaaarça!!!!!!!

They just came out with the draw for the group stage of the UEFA Cup with matches on Oct 21, Nov 4, Nov 25, Dec 1, Dec 16.

Group A
Feyenoord
Schalke 04
Basle
Hearts
Ferencvaros

Group B
Parma
Besiktas
Athletic Bilbao
Steaua Buchurest
Standard Liege

Group C
Club Brugge
Real Zaragoza
Utrecht
Dnipro
Austria Vienna

Group D
Newcastle
Sporting
Sochaux
Panionios
Dinamo Tblisi

Group E
Lazio
Villarreal
Middlesbrough
Partizan Belgrade
Aigaleo

Group F
Rangers
Auxerre
Lieberr GAK
Amica Wronki
AZ

Group G
Vfb Stuttgart
Benfica
Dinamo Zagreb
Heerenveen
Beveren

Group H
AEK Athens
Lille
Sevilla
Alemania
Aachen Zenit
St Petersburg

Looking forward to seeing the action on WorldSportHD.

Well, thanks to everyone who participated in this poll!
Out of 20 votes, 17 go to UEFA Cup!

And here is the result: WorldSport just announced its UEFA Cup coverage plans:

Matchday 1: Auxerre vs. Grazer AK LIVE October 21

PROPOSED GAMES:
Matchday 2: Austria vs. Zaragoza LIVE November 4
Matchday 3: Brugge vs. Utrecht LIVE November 25
Matchday 4: Auxerre vs. Amica Wronki LIVE December 1/2
Matchady 5: Brugge vs. Zaragoza LIVE December 15/16
Round of 32: Second Leg LIVE February 24
Round of 16: Second Leg LIVE March 17
Quarter-finals: Second Leg April 14
Semi-finals: Second Leg May 5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)