Software upgrade question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnnychemo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
I just got D*/TiVo installed on Saturday :D . I got the Phillips DSR708/R17 DVR unit. Poking through things, I noticed that I've got software version 3.1.1.

How can I upgrade to the latest version? Will it do so automagically? Does this unit qualify for the 6.2 upgrade everyone is buzzing about?

TIA!

:yes

Yes, the unit will get the upgrade eventually. Meanwhile 3.1.1e is the latest revision that any of us have. They're jumping the version number from 3.1.1e to 6.2 just to catch up with the version number on the stand alone Tivo's I guess.

Anyway I just had 3 708's installed 2 weeks ago and they have the 3.1.1e on them.

ddobson said:
Yes, the unit will get the upgrade eventually. Meanwhile 3.1.1e is the latest revision that any of us have. They're jumping the version number from 3.1.1e to 6.2 just to catch up with the version number on the stand alone Tivo's I guess.

Nope.

6.x series revisions is the latest set of the DirecTV codebase. The R-10 has v6.1. So they're upgrading other capable receivers to the same codebase as the R-10.

H

Thanks. I thought I had seen something about a 4.0 version somewhere, but I guess not.
So from 3.1 to 6.2 - should be twice as good, eh? :yes

4.0 can be put on a DirecTivo but it is an unsupported hack, meaning you must do it yourself and its pretty technical. 4.0 is what enables (with some further modifications) multi-room viewing.

johnnychemo said:
Will 6.2 allow multiroom?

No, not at this time. It probably has the functionality in it, but it would have to be activated by DirecTV, and no one is sure if or when they might do that.

JosephB said:
4.0 can be put on a DirecTivo but it is an unsupported hack, meaning you must do it yourself and its pretty technical. 4.0 is what enables (with some further modifications) multi-room viewing.

... and it can't be done to an R-10 at all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts