Software Version S342 is here

Woke up this morning on this new update and one of my hoppers for some reason didn't see the EHD at all, had to reset it for it to show back up. Didn't have that ever happen till this update.

So far as I can tell, the station does not matter--these are recordings of all vintages.
Just from time to time you cannot get through the last 0 to 6 seconds of transfer.
This has to be a Dish software problem.
You will find the one out of many will stop just at the end of transfer, repeatedly.
I've got dozens of cases. Of course, as I am trying to move say 2000 recordings.
The best answers are to start with a reboot,
if not possible right now, then restart the disk--pull disk power and reapply
(Do it while not recording something not important--sometimes it reboots.)
if you don't want to get up, then send at least one show in the opposite direction
if you can wait a while the transfer may work later.
It may help to send another show in the opposite direction and then back with yours.
Learn to live in the transfer screen.
-Ken
PS, I find the transfers very touchy. It might be doing 4 at once and the USB hub used.
I backed off of a 7-way hub plus a 4-way plus the front panel, powering 4 drives at most.
-K

Last edited:
Still having the "recording cancelled by user" crap that's been going on for a while now. I really hoped this new software addressed this issue. I had 3 shows scheduled to record at 10pm tonight. Around 10:15pm I just happened to check and as usual only 2 of the shows were recording. The 3rd was cancelled by user. This is really getting old. The whole purpose of a DVR is I can set timers and not worry about it. But lately I have to check my timers at the top of every hour just to make sure everything's recording. Luckily tonight, the show that didn't fire was on FX so I set another timer for later tonight. I just hope it records like it's supposed to.

I had a 'cancel by user' this past Sunday. Extra bad as it was one of my wife's favorite shows. She saw the message and thought I had done it on purpose.

I had a 'cancel by user' this past Sunday. Extra bad as it was one of my wife's favorite shows. She saw the message and thought I had done it on purpose.

I hear your agony! Been there, done that. That is why I have two Hoppers with identical timers set. You never know when a timer skips a beat or some other issue. Has saved my a-- many times. Got to keep the Mrs happy happy!

Don't know if this is a new feature but if you press the * button, instead of stepping through the different video formats, yuou get a list of the formats across the bottom of the screen so you can select the format you want.

Don't know if this is a new feature but if you press the * button, instead of stepping through the different video formats, yuou get a list of the formats across the bottom of the screen so you can select the format you want.
It is a new feature, but it was already discussed earlier.

There has always been a button to change video formats, even on other HD receivers. Repeatedly pressing * would cycle through the different video formats and you would see them affect the picture size. Starting with S338 it became more visual by introducing a menu bar on the bottom of the screen displaying large buttons actually listing each of the video formats. Now you can use the arrow keys to cycle through them or press * as before. Personally, I don't see why this was changed since the other method was more subtle. Generally, I consider this more of a behind the scenes feature since once you set it, it retains the information. (A good example is leaving HD channels on 'Normal' and SD channels on 'Partial Zoom' or 'Stretch' to try to mimic how HD fills the screen)

The * button was always used to change the video formats. This was done by repeatedly pressing it to toggle between them as they affected the picture size. Starting with S338, pressing * now brings up a menu bar on the bottom of the screen which displays large buttons actually showing each of the formats. You can use the arrow keys to cycle through them or press * as before. Personally, I don't see why there was a need to change it how it was. The other method was more subtle.

I hardly ever use the format button, just keep it in Normal mode. Did not realize the menu bar was added to the bottom of the screen. I am with you, there is no or little need for it. I wish they would quit adding such little value things and fix other issues that are causing headaches. When they add things it seems to screw up something else is how I see it and no one is catching it till it gets to the customer.

By adding this format change Dish probably gets less phone calls about "weird screens" when someone accidentally pushed the star button on their remote. Pressing the button the old way would automatically change the format and you had to press several times to get it back to where you wanted it. The new way shows you that you have pressed the button and if you didn't want to change things you simply press Cancel to get out of it...

Channels like American Heroes Channel that are SD only are hard to watch in the little window SD provides in normal. I just zoom to fill. It is pretty much set it and forget it and I watch very few SD channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts