1. Another Team Summit in the books!

Thanks to the generosity of a number of our members SatelliteGuys will be covering DISH Networks Team Summit Event from Phoenix, Arizona!

CLICK HERE for our Team Summit 2019 Coverage!

CLICK HERE to see our 2019 DISH Team Summit Recap Video! Thanks for being part of SatelliteGuys!
    CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
    Dismiss Notice

Solar Outage - As a pointing tool

Discussion in 'Free To Air (FTA) Discussion' started by pacificrim, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies due to lack of activity. Consider opening a new thread instead.
  1. pacificrim

pacificrim Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Pro
    Pub Member / Supporter

I was wondering what my furthest west satellite was, so today I looked up 177w in the solar outage calculator to see what time the sun would be at 177w - it listed it as 5:00pm for my location. At that time I swung my dish all the way until it was eclipsing the center plate. I then noted the position on my ASC1. Later, after the outage, I managed to get a decent signal from one transponder even though it is a circular beam.

Too bad there is nothing to watch on that satellite, but my question was easily answered.
    FYI - dishpointer said it was blocked by a small mountain but it wasn't.

IMG_20181011_49852.jpg IMG_20181011_26468.jpg

#1 pacificrim, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    N5XZS, Titanium and RimaNTSS like this.
  2. clucas

clucas SatelliteGuys Guru

Yes, only a couple religious channels and an MTN slate. I moved my fixed dish back to 180 to watch ABC Australia with a slab in the lnbf.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

N5XZS likes this.
  3. pacificrim

Pub Member / Supporter

I don't have 3 more degrees in either my actuator or line of sight. 177 is now my furthest west. Wow, the sun sure is handy! I'm glad they invented it. ;-)

N5XZS and Titanium like this.
  4. pacificrim

Pub Member / Supporter

Its too bad my Corotor II + is not the wide model. That one does circular and linear. I guess I'll keep an eye out for used one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies due to lack of activity. Consider opening a new thread instead.

Separate names with a comma.

More...