Soldering speaker wire (2 different gauges)

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
I have a Panasonic 5.1 stereo system with 22 gauge speaker wires connected directly to the speakers, but the rear wires are too short to reach the receiver. I tried the Panasonic wireless receiver, but it resulted in an annoying hum coming from the rear speakers that doesn't exist otherwise. My best remaining option that I'm aware of is to buy additional speaker wire and solder it to the existing 22 gauge wire. Can I buy thicker wire (possibly 16 gauge) to solder to the existing wire, or would it be best to stick with the same 22 gauge? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

I think he's referring to something like the below. You can get them at any hardware store. Read the box to see which gauge you want- e.g. 1 22 & 1 16.

Soldering would be better, but would be overkill. So long as the connectors stay tight, you'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about it- you only have 22 gauge anyway, which is kinda small.

Attachments

• electrical twist on conns.jpg
    electrical twist on conns.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 311
Thank you very much for the electrical cap (wire connector) suggestion! After a trip to Lowe's and a mere $14 worth of wire, connectors, and wire strippers, my system sounds great with no more hum. Problem solved!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts