Status
Please reply by conversation.

T4Runner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2010
37.0N 119.5W California
Ive used copper clad steel at home for all of my various and extraneous coax wiring to several dishes and constant changes, but I have never really done any comparisons as to how it effects QUALITY at the Receiver. It seems fine, but has anyone done any actual comparisons?

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

NO, I haven't done any comparison testing between the two, but I prefer solid copper for FTA stuff especially for LNBFs or anything else that carries voltage along with the signals from the satellites. Copper is just a much better conductor than steel, ie, you've never seen any steel electrical wire have you.

NO, I haven't done any comparison testing between the two, but I prefer solid copper for FTA stuff especially for LNBFs or anything else that carries voltage along with the signals from the satellites. Copper is just a much better conductor than steel, ie, you've never seen any steel electrical wire have you.

Nope. But I'm cheap. Make that frugal...

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I always use solid copper. When you buy a box of 1000ft its a price difference of $80 vs $60 not really worth going to the cheaper stuff. The solid stuff seems to hold current better on the longer runs but have never bought a 1000ft of the cheap stuff just to prove my gut feelings right.

UDL

I've read the specs and did some testing a few years ago on this. The RF signal performance is the same for both since rf tends to travel on the outside of the center conductor, therefore it is riding thru copper all the way. The difference is the dc loss or ohms per 100 ft. The steel has a higher ohms per 100 ft. than the solid copper so lnb's, switches, motors etc. that need coax power will lose voltage on a long run. For short runs, say under 100 ft. it probably doesn't matter much.

I use CCS on a 200 foot run out to a 4 port switch without issue. One minor problem with CCS I noticed is if water gets to the exposed steel at a connection it will rust out and fail within a few months.

I've noticed rapid corrosion on copper clad steel as well. That's one reason I never use cable company coax. They use steel center conductor coax for drop line strength, but it rusts too easily in our climate.

I've got CCS in one of my 2 systems that was installed back in 2000 when I built this house. That cable run is about 110ft +/-. At that time I was using a 4DTV 920 and had to have the ribbon cable for that run. I'm still using that CCS with an LNBF on the Unimesh that's out there now BUT, I've always packed the coax connections/connectors with petroleum jelly to keep the water out and that has worked well to date.

The 2nd system has solid copper and is only about 60ft from receiver to dish. I did a 16/4 stranded wire run on that one for motor and reed switch.

What it comes down to for me though is price. saving 2c/ft is it really worth putting something in that *might* have problems down the road? Why not just put the good stuff in.

UDL

All the coax I have seen and used was solid copper. Didn't even know about the CCS stuff. I have to agree with Updatelee, for the small price difference might as well get the best.

All the coax I have seen and used was solid copper. Didn't even know about the CCS stuff.

It's hard to tell what you have unless you look up the specs on the cable type you have. If you just cut the end of the center conductor, you will see copper even on steel cable because the copper stretches across the cut hiding the steel. You have to file or sand it to see the underlying core.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts