solid copper wire

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

solid copper vs copper clad

• copper clad

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

moto1xxx

Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
idaho
How many of you guys work in a mpg 4 only market ? Are you required to run only solid copper wire? Right now we can not run copper clad and if you get caught using ccl its your job. are pay has been cut in half. it doesnt matter if its a upgrade service or new install the house must be re-wired and the great part about it is we dont get paid for it. we role to a one box swap replace and the customer has 3 other existing rcvrs well we have to re do the whole system for a 12 dollar pay so a job that should take 45 mins now takes 3 hours and theres now compensation. its getting really bad and on top of that are cancellation have gone through the roof because they refuse the rewire. so media panels ect. we cant use. oh ya I work for directv home services and its a joke after they bought us out they took are custom labor away they have made it to were you cant make money people are losing there houses and cars its bad. if it dont get better theres soon to be a strike. any thoughts?

Yeah problem is that some installers try and charge custom rates for standard install stuff that your required to do.

I hate to say it. But I got a tech fired. But again he tried screwing me over on custom charges he was quite annoyed when I called in to his boss identified my self and told him what his stupid tech tried doing.

Always used solid copper. I had rand a brand new line with copper clad and it was -4 points on the signal meter.

Solid copper is a Directv requirement and has been for years. Maybe it is time to find another job.

My system has been running on copper clad for almost 2 years and Ive never missed a beat I carry a strong signal and Ive put 100s of jobs in the ground on ccl and never had a problem in fact I've never been on a service call and had to replace the line because ccl. as long as your wire is RG6 75 ohm 3G your fine and re-wiring house's is the not the problem the problem is doing a four room install and only making 20 bucks.

My system has been running on copper clad for almost 2 years and Ive never missed a beat I carry a strong signal and Ive put 100s of jobs in the ground on ccl and never had a problem in fact I've never been on a service call and had to replace the line because ccl. as long as your wire is RG6 75 ohm 3G your fine and re-wiring house's is the not the problem the problem is doing a four room install and only making 20 bucks.

No you seem to forget. They employ you! They say you do, dont like it well there is the door. Do I like everything that goes on at corporate no but I try to work inside the system to fix it.

Every one you rerun it one less you have to do later on.

No you seem to forget. They employ you! They say you do, dont like it well there is the door. Do I like everything that goes on at corporate no but I try to work inside the system to fix it.

Every one you rerun it one less you have to do later on.

I know your right it is what it is when we were ironwood life was much better!!!!

Copper clad wont give you a problem for a few years.

But then it certainly may after that.

As far as "its worked great for me so far", I'm again forced to trot out the old story about the guy who used to get drunk and put his pants over his head and run across the road. For a while, nothing bad happened and it was very exciting for everyone involved.

Which doesnt make it a good idea.

Just curious. Are you guys talking about 2 types of RG6 wire? What's the "copper clad" wire and what' "solid" clad wire?

Isn't RG6 the only officially-sanctioned cable for all satt & cable TV signals in residential units?

Solid copper center conductor RG6 is the only "sanctioned" cable for DIRECTV installations. Ostensibly this is because the ampacity (capacity to carry current) of copper clad steel wire isn't high enough to insure consistently good results.

As CCS is often cheaper, installers see it as a way of saving money in a game where there isn't enough money to buy what is specified.

Solid copper center conductor RG6 is the only "sanctioned" cable for DIRECTV installations. Ostensibly this is because the ampacity (capacity to carry current) of copper clad steel wire isn't high enough to insure consistently good results.

As CCS is often cheaper, installers see it as a way of saving money in a game where there isn't enough money to buy what is specified.

Thanks.

I guess I thought all these years that all RG6 contained the solid copper wire center conductor. That's all I've ever seen when I've bought my RG6 for doing homeowner RG6 runs.

Most cable companies endorse Cooper Cladded Steel. I have a two whole roles of RG6 i wont use that was left by a cable tech that branded for comcast CCS. I dont like it. I think they should run solid copper . ( they have to run solid copper from the pole to the house demarc point but beyond thatit alwasy CCS

Most cable companies endorse Cooper Cladded Steel.
Most cable companies don't depend on their cable to carry current and steel is a whole lot stronger than copper. Where ampacity isn't an issue, CCS is better than solid copper as it offers identical RF transmission properties in a much higher tensile cable.

CCS is great for cable or TV antenna where voltage carrying isn't important. Solid copper is just like home ac wiring copper is better than aluminum thoug aluminum was allowed for a while in some states.

Biggest problem you have with clad wiring is that both metals expand and contract at different rates, and are subject to different types of oxidation/corrosion.

When the wire is buried in the ground, encapsulated in conduit, or run within house walls, thats less of an issue, and thats the case with cable tv wire. When its exterior mounted in full sunlight, exposed to the elements, etc...after a while, it'll become a problem.

Plus the exterior cable tv wire runs are generally an awful lot longer than satellite runs. Mine is about 90' to the street. That gets pretty expensive for all copper.

How many of you guys work in a mpg 4 only market ? Are you required to run only solid copper wire? Right now we can not run copper clad and if you get caught using ccl its your job. are pay has been cut in half. it doesnt matter if its a upgrade service or new install the house must be re-wired and the great part about it is we dont get paid for it. we role to a one box swap replace and the customer has 3 other existing rcvrs well we have to re do the whole system for a 12 dollar pay so a job that should take 45 mins now takes 3 hours and theres now compensation. its getting really bad and on top of that are cancellation have gone through the roof because they refuse the rewire. so media panels ect. we cant use. oh ya I work for directv home services and its a joke after they bought us out they took are custom labor away they have made it to were you cant make money people are losing there houses and cars its bad. if it dont get better theres soon to be a strike. any thoughts?

First off - avoiding spec to save money? yeah you should find another job
Soon to be a STRIKE! - now your talkin, this field has milked vast amounts of techs bone dry. Pay has been cut in half in just the last year and a half alone. meanwhile the systems have gotten more complex and require more time to install. If all the installers would organize, we would be making some decent money, and the market wouldn't be flooded with idiots that don't know what they're doing hacking in jobs (then they quit) and we end up tearing out and re-installing for the price of a service call.

They say we're the only "face" of Directv the customer sees' yet we're contantly getting sh*t on and being treated more like the "ass"!

Just walk away.

Joe

Random question...why is the poll closed?

Stupid topic!

Like voting on gravity. Copper Coated Steel (CCS) was developed because solid copper was and is expensive.

Instead of a poll how about publishing capacity requirements for the DTV system and then publishing the capacity of each to deliver the required signal?

Lists of other characteristics would also help.

Then we can have a poll.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)