Solid Signal now has Televes antennas! Mine is on the way

Very interesting, thanks for the info Foxbat. Back in the day those of us on CB (27 MHz) might have had problems with our neighbors watching Channel 2 (54-60 MHz) because of second harmonics.

Fast forward almost a half-century later and now our neighbor's cell phone might interfere with our OTA TV. Woweee.

Reactions: localclassictvfan
Now I look at the $80 version with Boss Tech AGC amp.

Anyone know anything about this? Versus passive amp?

One spot says available for order, another says unavailable. I guess I know what that means.

nice setup :)
Thanks! If Scott has the archived SatGuys board from that time period, I'm sure I chatted about the installation.

I was surprised in one of the links in a different OTA thread had links to MCM and the antenna from Stellar Labs bore a strong resemblance to the Televés design. Here's one that looks a lot like my 1085 (but black plastic instead of the orange and smaller reflector):
30-2365.jpg

Below is my current UHF antenna at the trailer. About 39" wide by 3' tall. Similar to a CM4228, but not exactly. Facing 320 degrees.
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1460311656.969328.jpg

I've been considering one of the Televes DAT-790 antennas. Would that be an improvement, once I mount it on top of the shelter, lets conservatively say, 20+' higher? Or just move the current one there?

Sadly, Solid Signal is NIS on all Televes antennas. Elsewhere, a bank loan is just about required.

If I'm going to replace, I might as well get one to cover high VHF and maybe spring for a rotor. Too many breakups on 31-02 this weekend to continue as before. If we could get a better signal on 31 from April thru November, I should be happy. But maybe I could spring for more.

View from antenna today, at about the middle of the antenna. That is not my trailer, it's the one behind me and downhill.
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1460312381.199455.jpg

On a tripod atop the shelter would still be thru some trees, but fewer trees.

So, should I go with a Televes, or is there another model, perhaps one with the LTE filter and amp (or not), or figure there's little to be gained by replacing and elevating?

Reactions: localclassictvfan
I'd try running a TV fool at 20ft. to see if there is any improvement. As we age we become a little less impulsive is it going to make enough difference to jump in and do it.

He already ran it at 30 feet previosly in this thread. So I dont know what the height is right now with it bolted to the RV and when he raises it what height it would be at

Posted above, 30'.

Jacking up the current one makes sense, but might delay a "cure" and require multiple trips up top.

Moot. Lack of time. This weekend we replaced the converter, wired up and buried a UF-8 AWG, 3 w/ground for 50amp service, plus separate UF-14 on separate circuit (overkill), plus water problems etc. And sold my old boat. And had 3 visitors interested in buying the lot next to us (bad idea, steeper than it looks, requiring retaining wall and fill).

Next trip, in two weeks, must build stairs and platform so MiL can climb in RV easier. Current rise/run is 9/8. Looking to add a couple steps to make it 5.5"/12ish. Tough climb for a mid eighties lady, and the new steps will help A LOT. Not bad for us, either. Trick will be to make it easily moved or disassembled so we can take the trailer out again some day.

Reactions: fred555 and Mr Tony
Although you say it's not a CM4228, it sure looks like it, and I haven't found an antenna that works better than my two CM-4228's. I think if you raise it, navy chop, you'll be surprised at the results. Certainly worth a try before investing in something else.

Larry

Reactions: navychop
My memory is that it is a 4228, but I looked at current pictures of the 4228 and it looks a bit different, and the size is slightly different.

Any recommendations as to what to use for a pad under the legs of the tripod? I have some cushioning foam like exercise floor covering I'm thinking of using. "Asphalt" shingles over plywood. Probably drill and use bolts with oversize washers, maybe a four by four inch added piece of plywood to reinforce the roof. Gets pretty windy up there.

Tar, paint it on where the feet will rest, bolt it down and then some more tar. If winds are a concern bolt (lag bolt) directly into the roof joists.
If that's not possible, secure a 2x4 between the joists, in the attic, and lag bolt to that.
Place it in the same orientation as the joist. Narrow side up against the roof. ( i like 5/16 x 4 inch lag bolts )
I wouldn't use foam or anything that would create a possibility of movement. Ya do want it 'tight'. Any movement and it will wear itself out in short order.
The new 4228's are not physically identical to the older model.
Think it's to do with the deletion, reassignment, of channels 50 something and above.
Antenna Hacks link HERE

Reactions: navychop
Well, placing it atop the RV shelter did no good.

Anyone have any recommendations? What would be a better UHF antenna? My readings lead me to some pretty questionable recommendations.

Well, placing it atop the RV shelter did no good.

Anyone have any recommendations? What would be a better UHF antenna? My readings lead me to some pretty questionable recommendations.
I got the 8 bay from solid signal, forgot the name but it works, heck i get 5 nbc channels and a soon to be laff subchannel

HDB8X 8 Bay Bow Tie UHF fpr 69.99

The XG91 is a great fringe antenna, and even the simular one here
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2370?green=360C6336-DA8B-5EF7-ACD6-547C7DA8C357
but it (the XG91) is sloped for a better signal at the high end (if my memory is correct). With the coming change to the channels, a fix now may be short lived as your channels may end up in the VHF band and not the UHF band requiring a different antenna.
The XG91 is very directional.

"going to?????"
They may end up on VHF lo channels. i.e. 2-6 if they take the money to change their frequency. Maybe end up on VHF hi (7-13) See the postings on the reverse auction. Channels 30 (or close that that) and higher could be sold off for cell phone use. They might just go off the air and take the money.
The only thing for sure is that some channels are going to change.

Just one off-the-top-of-my-head observation about the antennas in question - any antenna that has to be amplified off the bat is questionable engineering IMHO.

Under extreme circumstances you may add an amplifier, but a built in amplifier tells me the antenna is inferior and they are trying to make up for that with the amplifier.

Just sayin'.

Solid Signal has the Televes DAT-790 Mix UHF/VHF Amplified Outdoor HDTV Antenna with LTE Filter (149481) on sale now for $55.99

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)