Solution to the phone line problem ...

aychamo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 3, 2004
Do what Tivo does. Why do you need a phone line? It's stupid. I'm reading about Tivo, and it says Tivo can connect to a wired or wireless home network. That's a beautiful solution. Put a little 802.11b wireless card in the Voom STB. Nice! Of course that requires updating all the STBs.......

Moderator Edited content.

I just looked at the Voom STB, it has a USB port!! That can be used to connect a wireless adapter!! Argh!! When will this be supported?? I hate paying for a phone line just for this damn Voom :)

Moderator note: edited content.

aychamo, there is really no need to use foul language in this forum...

TiVo uses phone line for a different purpose: to get program guide, not to verify the location of the box or do PPV...
FYI, VOOM does currently work over certain VoIP connections. Also, they are concidering alternatives to land-line connection for the future.

Sorry about the language - just frustrated with trying to be somewhat on the edge of technology -- purchase a HDTV, but local cable doesnt have HD programming. I want the best satellite system, but it requires an ancient phone line which I had to have re-hooked up (I only use my cell, I dont even know my landline #).

The networking option is a solution. It could transfer over the net your voom stb # and what program you purchased. Also, it could send your IP so it could trace you or whatever. This is just an awesome solution - I have a really interesting wireless network at home that I would love to use with this.

I dont see the purpose of verifying location? Is it so people don't clone the info or whatever in the STBs? All they can verify with my phone # is really my area code. What prevents me from hooking the STB up at my friends house and letting it call or whatever? I'm sure stuff in future STB software updates may change this.

An interesting note, my installer did not even plug it into the phone line, and he was pretty familiar with Voom.

Where can I find more info with the VoIP solutions? I hate BellSouth and having a phone line :)

aychamo said:
Sorry about the language - just frustrated with trying to be somewhat on the edge of technology -- purchase a HDTV, but local cable doesnt have HD programming. I want the best satellite system, but it requires an ancient phone line which I had to have re-hooked up (I only use my cell, I dont even know my landline #).

The networking option is a solution. It could transfer over the net your voom stb # and what program you purchased. Also, it could send your IP so it could trace you or whatever. This is just an awesome solution - I have a really interesting wireless network at home that I would love to use with this.

I dont see the purpose of verifying location? Is it so people don't clone the info or whatever in the STBs? All they can verify with my phone # is really my area code. What prevents me from hooking the STB up at my friends house and letting it call or whatever? I'm sure stuff in future STB software updates may change this.

An interesting note, my installer did not even plug it into the phone line, and he was pretty familiar with Voom.

Where can I find more info with the VoIP solutions? I hate BellSouth and having a phone line :)

www.vonage.com

Here is one of the threads talking about VOOM and VoIP.
> An interesting note, my installer did not even plug it into the phone line, and he was pretty familiar with Voom.​
The phone line requirement is not yet enforced. My STB was never connected to the phone line either.

aychamo said:
I just looked at the Voom STB, it has a USB port!! That can be used to connect a wireless adapter!! Argh!! When will this be supported?? I hate paying for a phone line just for this damn Voom :)
Moderator note: edited content.
You don't need a phone line yet, why are you paying for one? :no

I know I'm gonna get hammered.

But I really think he's right. It's an Internet planet. I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the people on this forum have HSI with a home network.Tivo and Replay understand the power of IP based CE devices. To the extent that Tivo checks for an Internet connection and uses it first, transparently.

On this one, Voom blew it. IP should have shipped with the first receiver. Dialing out is so... 1996.

Aye.. Functionally, since the Voom box has a USB port, is it possible that they could update the firmware in to allow it to use a USB (wireless?) network interface card to talk to voom?

I have a USB to Ethernet adaptor laying around connecting dust. And a 4 port switch in my rack that has an extra port!!!!

Ilya said:
Here is one of the threads talking about VOOM and VoIP.
> An interesting note, my installer did not even plug it into the phone line, and he was pretty familiar with Voom.​
The phone line requirement is not yet enforced. My STB was never connected to the phone line either.

All work orders now say a phone line is required to get paid. Customers will be required to have a phone line or they will not get an install from me. Customers that need a phone line installed must pay extra unless voom approves paying for it which they don't normaly do.

However we can no longer test a report back because the 1 800 # is no longer stored in the receiver. It now has a 0 where the phone # should be and tries to call the OPERATOR.

I suspect the phone line is not being used at this time and will only be used for PPV.

Ilya said:
aychamo, there is really no need to use foul language in this forum...

TiVo uses phone line for a different purpose: to get program guide, not to verify the location of the box or do PPV...
FYI, VOOM does currently work over certain VoIP connections. Also, they are concidering alternatives to land-line connection for the future.

That's not true. I'm not connected to the phone line, and I still get the program guide. The PG comes down over the dish.

juanl0b0 said:
But I really think he's right. It's an Internet planet. I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the people on this forum have HSI with a home network.Tivo and Replay understand the power of IP based CE devices. To the extent that Tivo checks for an Internet connection and uses it first, transparently.

On this one, Voom blew it. IP should have shipped with the first receiver. Dialing out is so... 1996.

It's all coming with the DVR in the fall. The DVR will access it's clients (your voom STB's) over an inhouse IP network. I read all this on the voom site and on their DVR developer's website, ucentric.com.

Scotty said:
That's not true. I'm not connected to the phone line, and I still get the program guide. The PG comes down over the dish.
You get the PG info on your Tivo through the dish? That is th PG he was reffering to. Not the PG on the Voom STB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts