Solutions to get internet to the hopper

Joe891

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Maryland
I have a relative whos router is installed in her garage and her hopper is on the other end of the house. As you can imagine the Wi-Fi signal to it maxes out at 5. There is a joey on the other side of the wall from the router would i be able to just plug a cat 5 into it? Or would my best bet be to run cat 5 acrossed her house? I don't have this problem at my own home as I already have cat 5 ran to my living room and hopper.

Something like this. (Doesn't have to be this exact one) Go to Amazon and put this in the search

TP-Link AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender w/ Gigabit Ethernet Port, Extends WiFi to Smart Home & Alexa Devices, 3x3 MU-MIMO (RE500)

Reactions: SandFarmer
Your best bet is to add a Hopper Internet Connector in line before the Joey, then connect that to the router via Ethernet. This will supply connectivity to the Hopper and Joeys. Once it's connected we'll probably have to read boot the hopper so that it drops the Wi-Fi and connects to the HIC

Your best bet is to add a Hopper Internet Connector in line before the Joey, then connect that to the router via Ethernet. This will supply connectivity to the Hopper and Joeys. Once it's connected we'll probably have to read boot the hopper so that it drops the Wi-Fi and connects to the HIC
Thanks hipkat

So what exactly is a Hopper Internet Connector? I have a 100 ft Cat5 line run over my roof in a similar (but opposite, the Hopper is by the garage and the router's on the opposite end of the house) situation. The nearest Joey to the router is in an adjacent room, around 20 feet away. Thanks

So what exactly is a Hopper Internet Connector? I have a 100 ft Cat5 line run over my roof in a similar (but opposite, the Hopper is by the garage and the router's on the opposite end of the house) situation. The nearest Joey to the router is in an adjacent room, around 20 feet away. Thanks

Here you go

A device that enables Internet connectivity throughout the Hopper Joey System through a single co-axial cable; a HIC may be used when the Hopper cannot be connected directly to Ethernet.The HIC can be installed on any “Client” side of the coaxial cabling to provide connectivity to the entire Whole-Home DVR network.

Amazon has it for 8 bucks, I tried to post a link but it won't let me

Reactions: SandFarmer
Maybe another solution is to center the router in the house. Get your internet provider to do this for you. After I had mine moved I get great signal throughout the house.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Maybe another solution is to center the router in the house. Get your internet provider to do this for you. After I had mine moved I get great signal throughout the house.
I also thought to do that but I would probably move it for her as her router connects to the internet via cat 5 so I may just run some to a room in the center of the house

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)