Some advice for Dish's next receiver.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
1. Eight tuners. This would allow 4 rooms to record two shows at once.

2. Multiplier games. Each client using RF to play games against 3 other receivers.

3. The ability to have folders (although this may come out in a new S/W release). Imagine having a folder for "Joe's Recordings", and "Kim's Recordings".

4. A way to put a password on a recorded show.

5. A 2 way messaging service. Imagine gramps down in the basement watching TV, you can use a (keyboard?) to send a message to him like "lunch is ready". With this you can send a message to all receivers. Imagine each kid has a joey in upstairs bedrooms. The mother can message them all on the hopper "supper is ready".

6. Recommendations. If your watching a really good movie/Tv show , you can recommend it, recommend it to one receiver, or all. Next time someone turn's their Joey on, a message will pop up "Ted recommended the following movie"

7. The ability to name each receiver, and the possibility of using an avatar for each one.

8. The ability to Skype someone.

Maybe it's just the inventor side of me, but I think the future of whole-home satellite TV is social integration and communication. I think the satellite receiver needs to serve as an entire part media server, part computer, part satellite receiver.

A large capital development outlay for so few takers. I don't think we're going to see that. We geeks like all this stuff, the vast majority could care less.....

1. Eight tuners. This would allow 4 rooms to record two shows at once.
The technology isn't an issue, the price is. Does Dish really need to have so many tuners jumping the price of the rcvr when many people would never use that many tuners?

2. Multiplier games. Each client using RF to play games against 3 other receivers.
So Dish should enter the money losing industry known as console gaming? You want a more family friendly rcvr that oddly enough would work to separate families more?

3. The ability to have folders (although this may come out in a new S/W release). Imagine having a folder for "Joe's Recordings", and "Kim's Recordings".
Doesn't this already exist, or does the Hopper not do this? I know the 722k does. I only wish it could do so with the external hard drive.

4. A way to put a password on a recorded show.
Not a bad idea to restrict the ability for the younglings from accessing violent other otherwise less than appropriate programming.

5. A 2 way messaging service. Imagine gramps down in the basement watching TV, you can use a (keyboard?) to send a message to him like "lunch is ready". With this you can send a message to all receivers. Imagine each kid has a joey in upstairs bedrooms. The mother can message them all on the hopper "supper is ready".
Are you kidding me?! If you are wealthy enough to have a Joey for each kid, they can afford an in-house messenger that will go throughout the house to pass along messages!

6. Recommendations. If your watching a really good movie/Tv show , you can recommend it, recommend it to one receiver, or all. Next time someone turn's their Joey on, a message will pop up "Ted recommended the following movie"
Are we trying to get rid of human to human communication?

7. The ability to name each receiver, and the possibility of using an avatar for each one.
Not a bad idea.

8. The ability to Skype someone.
Umm... that would require a webcam. Computers can already make with the Skype. Besides, televisions will probably lead the way with this anyway in a couple years.

Maybe it's just the inventor side of me, but I think the future of whole-home satellite TV is social integration and communication. I think the satellite receiver needs to serve as an entire part media server, part computer, part satellite receiver.
You are mistaking the DVR for a television. The Television is going to be the combo between computer/media device/television. It makes no sense to do the media with the DVR because it will require the TV and the DVR and the blu-ray to be hooked up to the Router. The TV is the obvious choice for as the Internet Portal.

The Hopper/Joey system already does this, no avatar though....

Most of the ideas are good ones and are already being worked on.

I recommend if someone needs more then 3 tuners to get 2 Hoppers... besides the extra tuners and storage space it also lets you watch TV in case one of your Hoppers dies. :D

I would agree two Hoppers for 99 not a bad deal at all for what two hoppers can do! I have a two Hopper one Joey set up myself

$99 was a deal man, you should have done it.

Some will never understand the benefits of uniformity and scalability. An 8-tuner receiver will never happen, for any provider.

dare2be said:
Some will never understand the benefits of uniformity and scalability. An 8-tuner receiver will never happen, for any provider.

My mind is still thinking about the HDD that might be needed if there is ever a 8 tuner capable DVR....not to mention the capability to watch already recorded show. In the op example...that's 8 simultaneous capability to record & 4 feed to watch per recorded show.

IMO dish next box might add a additional tuner that when combined with PTAT will allow dish to advertise "record 7 programs at the same time" or something like that.

I would like the ability to watch a show such as a sporting event and be able to listen to a music channel at the same time.

I believe the next Dish receiver will be similar to the hopper, but have multiple hard drives and use the hard drives to record multiple transponder streams, like PTAT only covering the entire TP 24/7 and more than one of TP, perhaps one for each HDD.

Dish can then rearrange their reansponders with the most popular channels on the same or on groups of transponders and you record a weeks showing of the top satellite channels and play them back whenever you want to.

The idea of recording multiple adjacent channels off one transponder is the big deal here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)