Aug 7, 2006
azimuth true north 213.51
azimuth to magnetic north 211.05
elevation 41.95
slant range 37632.7
polarisation tilt 26.35
polar mount main axis angle 37.18
polar dish mount offset tilt 5.15

I am trying to arc my dish for the first time. I have pictures of the dish that will be posted. I wanted to know if I am correct that my dish needs to be at 37 degrees angle up?

the first pic is of my protractor and the dish. I wanted to know if the angel needs to be at the top of that big bar or the bottom or is the angel based on LNB.

what do I use to set the declination? is it the front bar that I have in pic 2

I am including more pics of my dish. to me it seems angled to high.

it seems that I am getting G4 when the dish is centered. I can get in the far west satellite that has QVC on channel 10. I can't get picture perfect. I can get a few fuzzy channels on the east side but not many.

I am sure that I am way off on this arcing thing. Thanks for any help that is offered

Attachments

• Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    815.3 KB · Views: 145
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    894.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    1,015.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    975.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    909.6 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Run the dish up so its straight up and down(facing south).
Measure the backside of dish by putting a straightedge across the ring.
This will be your total angle(sum of both angles).
the angle on the polar mount would be the 2 x2 square tubing your cable is looped over
in last picture.
Subtract the 2 measurements and the difference should be your 5.15 deg.

Set your inclinometer on the polar axis bar, that should be equal to (or close) to your site elevation, and yes that bolt in pic 2 is the declination adjustment. Strange looking one, but
that's the one to adjust it. Remember that these websites give close #s but you may have to adjust the elevation a little in order to get it 'just right' for your location. Once you get the east/west set, you can begin to tell how to fine tune.

OK I am getting this and thanks for the help thus far.

One more question then. Is the angle I set my dish based on the top of the bar or bottom of the bar in the 1st picture?

or is the lnb supposed to meet that angle

First off the main bar, which turbo calls the polar axis bar, should be set to your latitude (your site elevation as turbo put it). It's the fat bar that has the declination bolt at the end of it, as seen in picture #2. Sorry but your first picture is a little dark for me to answer anything about it. Remember the polar mount is called a polar mount because it points to the north and south poles. It does not point to magnetic north, unless you are lucky enough to live in the right place, which most of us don't? The dish itself should point to the arc, that's what the declination bolt is used for. Measure the backside of dish by putting a straightedge across the ring as explained by gpat. If your declination is 5.15 degrees, you would add 5.15 to your latitude and that should be where the arc is, or where the actual dish reflector should be pointing. Use the declination bolt to achieve that angle. Here is a good link:
SatLex Digital :: Technology
Click on Calculator and then use the AZ/EL Calculator to find your angles.
Good Luck!

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)