Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Western NY
Wife and I had TWC didn't like the dvr's and had some hardware problems
Went to windstream for our phone and DSL

Know what to do with tv???

Have a price from direct for about 80.00 per month witha tivo hd-dvr

How about the hopper from dish
I'am not into sports but having disney jr and sprout for my 5 year old on direct tv might be a deal breaker

Any input from any of you would be very thankful

The Rexroad Family

For me to tell you I like TiVo or the Hopper tells you nothing it is your likes and dislikes that will determine if you are happy. It is time to visit with friends and relatives to use their systems. You need to compare what you disliked with TWC with the other systems. You also need to see if programming you consider mandatory is in the programming package you consider right priced. Directv losing Viacom channels and DISH dropping AMC might affect your decision.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

Its going to boil down to what you think is best for your family. Compare the packages with DISH and Directv and see which one offers you the most channels for your money.

:welcome

Please be aware (if you are not already) that Dish and DirecTV are both having channel disputes. Dish is having a dispute with AMC Networks; the channels dropped due to the dispute are: (1) AMC, (2) IFC, (3) We TV, and (4) Sundance Channel. DirecTV is having a dispute with Viacom; the channels dropped due to the dispute are: (1) Logo, (2) BET [HD], (3) Centric, (4) MTV [HD], (5) MTV 2, (6) Tr3s, (7) MTV India, (8) Nickelodeon [HD], (9) Nickelodeon [West], (10), TV Land. (11) Comedy Central [HD], (12) Nick Jr., (13) Nicktoons, (14) VH1 [HD], (15) VH1 Classic, (16) CMT [HD], (17) Palladia [HD only], (18) Spike TV [HD].

After keeping that in mind, I suggest thinking about the channels that you want to watch and "must have." Please compare channel lineup cards:

Dish: DISH Channels and Programming | DISH TV Guide | MyDISH Customer Support
DirecTV: www.att.com/Common/PDF/DIRECTV_English_Channel_Lineup.pdf

Currently, I honestly feel that Dish is usually cheaper especially in terms of base prices. I also find that Dish has several package options. It would also be helpful if you tell us what setup you want or need (ex: how many TVs, care about DVR, care about whole-home, etc.).

Welcome Pack $14.99 (usually not for first-time customers)
Dish Latino Basico $22.99
Family $24.99
Dish Latino Clasico $32.99
Dish America $34.99 "HD-only"
Dish Latino Plus $37.99 [starting package in Dish Latino eligible for HD Free for Life]
America's Top 120 $44.99 [starting package in America's Top eligible for HD Free for Life]
Dish Latino Dos $44.99
America's Top 120 Plus $49.99
Dish America Silver $49.99
Dish Latino Max $57.99
America's Top 200 $59.99
Dish America Gold $59.99
America's Top 250 $69.99
America's "Everything" Pak $104.99

DVR: $6/month (Note: 211 HD Solo receivers do not have a DVR fee and can optionally be integrated into DVRs with an external hard drive and a one-time $40 fee that covers all 211s on the account.)

(I was going to post the Dish pricing calculator, but the site seems to be down for some strange reason. Here is the site if it does become available or if it is just not coming up for me: http://commercial.dishnetwork.com/calculator/default.aspx )

DirecTV comes across as being more costly when looking solely at base prices:

Select Classic $41.99 (retention)
Entertainment $54.99
Choice $63.99
Choice Xtra $68.99
Choice Ultimate $74.99
Premier $119.99

DVR: $8/month

Last edited:
again why are you posting the "MSRP prices" for both providers when they both have deals right now?
Dish gives you 1 year of discounts
Directv gives you two years of discounts

Directv's prices with discounts
1st year price/2nd year price
Entertainment $29.99/34.99
Choice $29.99/44.99
Choice Xtra $34.99/48.99
Choice Ultimate $39.99/54.99
Premier $84.99/99.99

Dish's
Top120 24.99
Top120+ 29.99
Top200 34.99
Top250 39.99
Everything 74.99
2nd year goes to the prices you posted

Also DIrectv's odds of getting Viacom back are much greater than Dish getting AMC back :)

Iceberg said:
again why are you posting the "MSRP prices" for both providers when they both have deals right now?
Dish gives you 1 year of discounts
Directv gives you two years of discounts

Directv's prices with discounts
1st year price/2nd year price
Entertainment $29.99/34.99
Choice $29.99/44.99
Choice Xtra $34.99/48.99
Choice Ultimate $39.99/54.99
Premier $84.99/99.99

Dish's
Top120 24.99
Top120+ 29.99
Top200 34.99
Top250 39.99
Everything 74.99
2nd year goes to the prices you posted

To show the regular prices after the promotions...

Also, how do you know that DirecTV is close to making a deal if any with Viacom and if AMC Networks and Dish are not close to making one?

I would have to know your TV setup in order to tell you your best options. If you're not a big sports fan you may be able to save some money with Dish and enjoy their Hopper system.

To show the regular prices after the promotions...
which is in 2 years for Directv as example and if you have a 2 year agreement that gives you the opportunity to switch
You can't base a decision as to prices 2 years from now ;)

Also, how do you know that DirecTV is close to making a deal if any with Viacom and if AMC Networks and Dish are not close to making one?
Since AMC has been pulled have you heard anything from Dish or AMC? not that I've seen
Directv has given updates each day and Viacom has even given some type of an update

abbysdad said:
living room 61 samsung
bedroom 1 hd only
bedroom2 hd only

A Hopper and 2 Joeys would be $14/month. DVR service is $6/month and $4/month for whole-home DVR. That would be $24/month.

Another option would be 3 211s. That would be $14/month. For DVR service, you would need an external hard drive for each. There is a one-time $40 DVR integration fee.

A third option would be a HD Duo DVR like the 722 and a HD Solo 211. This would be $7/month. There would also be a $6/month DVR fee. This would be $13/month. You could turn the 211 into a DVR with an external hard drive and the one-time $40 fee.

A fourth option if you are not interested in DVRs in each room would be an HD Duo receiver and a 211 HD Solo receiver. This would be $7/month. Again, you could turn the 211 into a DVR with an external hard drive and a one-time $40 fee.

I am not sure if the 922 is available to new subs anymore. However, you would probably want the Hopper before the 922.

All good advice from all here. I would suggest that you sit down with an independent contractor that handles both "D" and "E". Have him compare the DVR's and the pluses and minuses of each includig program packages and cost over 2 years. Little things ad up to probably giving an edge to one or the other for your needs. A few things I have come to believe are true (but could be wrong) The 722/722K allows full use of it's hard drive when you connect a EHD. At least some of "D's" DVR's lose the functionality of it's internal hard drive when connected to a EHD. A big deal to me. Most if not all of "E's" DVR use a USB port while "D's" use esata ports. A big plus for me is "E's" Blockbuster Movie Pass. A very cool package which I use the snot out of. One other thing. If you can pull in local channels with an outside antenna have the rep compare how to utilize the competing DVR's ability to handle this for you.

IMO, you should choose your provider based on the programming your family needs/wants. Technical aspects should be secondary. Whistles and bells are worthless if your kids can't watch their favorite show or you can't follow your regional sports teams.

I have Dish/with windstream too

Wife and I had TWC didn't like the dvr's and had some hardware problems
Went to windstream for our phone and DSL

Know what to do with tv???

Have a price from direct for about 80.00 per month witha tivo hd-dvr

How about the hopper from dish
I'am not into sports but having disney jr and sprout for my 5 year old on direct tv might be a deal breaker

Any input from any of you would be very thankful

The Rexroad Family

I have Dish/with windstream too, and have been happy with the service and the Bundle deal. ($122.00 a mo for all) that includes internet, and the 250 package. you can set it up with windstream and get the deal without calling Dish. Glad i went this way, was a direct customer for 10 years.

just so you know, bob

IMO, you should choose your provider based on the programming your family needs/wants. Technical aspects should be secondary. Whistles and bells are worthless if your kids can't watch their favorite show or you can't follow your regional sports teams.

whoa the heat must be getting to me...I actually AGREE with KAB on this ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts