Some Info

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Covack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Down South
For those of You that have a dvbtech board, Mytheatre's new version 3.38 will work with it . I downloaded it last night, works ok as for as I can tell so far.

For those of You that have a dvbtech board, Mytheatre's new version 3.38 will work with it . I downloaded it last night, works ok as for as I can tell so far.

I also heard the Genpix works with MyTheater. I'm glad to see new drivers popping up. I might have to take a look at MyTheater again, but I can't see paying for that app when DVBDream has more features and is free.

I might have to take a look at MyTheater again, but I can't see paying for that app when DVBDream has more features and is free.

For those with Vista, they have no choice but to pay for MT. I believe MT is currently the only dvb app that works under Vista.

Yup, I was pleasantly surprised when I was catching up on my emails! I've tested it out some and it will playback mpeg2 encoded video, however Saar is still working on h.264 video playback.

HokieEngineer, are you planning a PCI version of your board like genpix has done? It would be nice to have more choices. (and hopefully cheaper too!)
Just curious.
grusome

HokieEngineer, are you planning a PCI version of your board like genpix has done? It would be nice to have more choices. (and hopefully cheaper too!)
Just curious.
grusome

PCI version? I wasn't aware of that, I did see the Skywalker-1 device by Genpix. Very nice design! No 6000 8PSK module needed.

Yup, it supports both our boards ;). Now.. if only I could get someone to hack out a linux driver for my board :).
get my genpix Linux driver as a starting point (it's open source, you know :) ).
I don't think your board is very different, you can get a working driver withing a day or two.

not aware about PCI version either.
Even more, nowdays small motherboards have fewer and fewer PCI slots (for instance, 2 PCI slots + 8 USB ports). USB is easier to implement and maintain (plug'n'play, buy the way).
For PCI, you need to reboot after major lock-up or crash.

And the most important: every time you want to test a new PCI board (ready to be shipped) you have to reboot PC. There are some server grade motherboards with hot-plug PCI slots, but they are exception from the rule.

With USB card you don't need to reboot EVER :)

Last edited:
My bad!! Sorry about stating PCI version. I meant something similar to the skywalker, your USB device. I'm still setting aside money to get one. But, I'm
always on the lookout for something cheaper. ( must be my German heritage
coming out !! ) It never hurts to ask !
I'm sure I'll end up getting the skywalker as it's a nice all in one solution. Especially given the prices I've seen some of the 6000's going for lately.
grusome

My bad!! Sorry about stating PCI version. I meant something similar to the skywalker, your USB device. I'm still setting aside money to get one. But, I'm
always on the lookout for something cheaper. ( must be my German heritage
coming out !! ) It never hurts to ask !
I'm sure I'll end up getting the skywalker as it's a nice all in one solution. Especially given the prices I've seen some of the 6000's going for lately.
grusome

You don't need a 6000....just a 8PSK tuner meant for a 6000.

You don't need a 6000....just a 8PSK tuner meant for a 6000.

I understand that. But, lots of sellers on Ebay won't sell the tuner module seperately. You end up having to buy the entire unit in order to get the module.
And those that are selling them seperately have started getting a premium price for them. I have posted on a couple of UseNet for sale newsgroups a few times and only got a couple of responses for either the entire HD6000 or just the 8PSK module. The cheapest one was $175.00 and the guy would not go any lower.
I had an HD6000 several months ago that I bought at a garage sale for $40.00.
But, a buddy of mine wanted it so bad I ended up selling it to him for what I paid for it! Haven't found another one in a yard sale since. I'm sure I'll end up either getting the Skywalker-1 or one of the USB adaptors and finding another HD6000 with module eventually.
grusome

Genpix had them on the site for $100 when you ordered the device, but now that you look at it, you can get an all in one device in an enclosure for $30 more after you add the power supply and 8PSK module to the older board.

Wish I would have had that option last summer when I bought mine ;) But I've been really happy with mine anyways.

get my genpix Linux driver as a starting point (it's open source, you know :) ).
I don't think your board is very different, you can get a working driver withing a day or two.

not aware about PCI version either.
Even more, nowdays small motherboards have fewer and fewer PCI slots (for instance, 2 PCI slots + 8 USB ports). USB is easier to implement and maintain (plug'n'play, buy the way).
For PCI, you need to reboot after major lock-up or crash.

And the most important: every time you want to test a new PCI board (ready to be shipped) you have to reboot PC. There are some server grade motherboards with hot-plug PCI slots, but they are exception from the rule.

With USB card you don't need to reboot EVER :)

I'll have to get a linux box up and running and check it out! Lately my real life satellite job has been taking up my most of my time leaving little time for the hobby satellite life :)

I agree with the PCI ideas. USB is just easier and far more portable. Laptop + usb box makes for easy signal tuner out by the dish (plus the extension cord of course ;) )

Just curious.
grusome

No PCI version but I do have the all-in-one boxed version. It includes the adapter, a module and a power supply in one box. It was originally designed by me for a commercial customer but some friends were interested as well so I decided to offer it for sale.

No PCI version but I do have the all-in-one boxed version. It includes the adapter, a module and a power supply in one box. It was originally designed by me for a commercial customer but some friends were interested as well so I decided to offer it for sale.
Sorry I missed this post. I finally went ahead and ordered one of genpix's setups.
( USB ver2 adaptor & module with power supply) Since he was out of the Skywalker-1 units, and I was slow to buy another module that was offered to me.
I noticed on your website that there is no price given for an all in one setup.
In fact I couldn't find any mention of it. I may be interested in one of your units as well.
grusome

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)