Some Interesting Dish Info

I am saying if the All ACCESS pack become a reality and it includes no dvr fees, no additional receiver fees and no extra cost for hd , then it will be a superior offering in PRICING and it will cause many new subs to go to Directv as well as many DISH subs too.
That's a really big if. There really hasn't been any solid evidence that D* is considering such a plan.
IF this becomes a true pricing pack then it will cause DISH to have to reconsider a lot of its FEES and its pricing on the HD pack.
Absolutely!

As I've said previously, it comes down to being able to identify weather balloons from business plans. This All Access package bears all the markings of a trial balloon.

Any chance this will trickle down to the 525 sometime before my 12 year old graduates from high school?

No. None. This feature is for ViP series receivers only. All other receivers will "soon" be phased out for HD viewing, and eventually for all use, as Dish switches to MPEG-4. You'll probably have a few years (3? 4? ???) of use out of your receiver before it's completely obsolete. Before then, you'll probably have voluntarily upgraded to a ViP series receiver so you can watch HD.

Personal attack... Well, if nothing else left to discuss of the topic, go ahead to flaming. :down

Personal? Did I type your name in the post?

Flame? A bit oversensitive aren't we? There was nothing by way of a flame post (as indicated by the "winky face").

Smith P? Your posts make me smile. Keep up the good work. :up

Cheers,
Spence

Last edited:
Spencer, could we just return to topic discussion ?
I never left the topic of discussion dude! I was only warning someone of the consequences of voicing the facts (all that "free market & economical nonsense").

...but thanks for helping to guide things back on track. ;)

Spence

Last edited:
That's a really big if. There really hasn't been any solid evidence that D* is considering such a plan.Absolutely!

As I've said previously, it comes down to being able to identify weather balloons from business plans. This All Access package bears all the markings of a trial balloon.

ON this thread at dbstalk /directv site , one poster keeps saying that 8/28/07 is the date for the debut of this package. So in another month or less we will see if this is true or not. I still want to know if Directv is really adding dvr fees back to the PRemier pack for new subs. THis is a really big IF to me. IF they do add the dvr fee to the PRemier pack then they will have to have another access pack that doesn't include the dvr fee like AEP or they will be at a disadvantage to DISH on this one. Unless they intend the dvr plus pack to be their answer to this.

Going to Circuit City tomorrow.. 320GB WD 7200rpm MyBook USB external HD $89. I can't wait to try it out, especially since I know I can playback off loaded shows without having to reload them back on my 622.. Nice If I remember, doesn't the 622 have a 250gb drive in it? No more lost archived shows, the next time my 622 crashes.

Geez, I paid $200 for that same drive a year ago. :)

I don't think 320GB is big enough though; I am leaning towards the WD 750GB. Yes, another $225 to be spent, but it will be worth it.

Geez, I paid $200 for that same drive a year ago. :)

I don't think 320GB is big enough though; I am leaning towards the WD 750GB. Yes, another $225 to be spent, but it will be worth it.

Got this email from dealnews before I left.. (You could get 2 of these 500gb for the price of a 750gb)
I ordered one of these 500gb for $110 shipped.
Buy.com - Western Digital Elements 500GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - WDE1U5000N

Hope Dish doesn't change the ability to use any type of drive in the mean time.

If Dish is smart; they'll post a list of supported drives. It won't mean other drives won't work; just that their list has been tested as compatible.
There's too many choices out there. They'd likely only check pre-built external units while many people will build their own from standalone drives with separate enclosures. As soon as you do that, a "supported" drive in an untested enclosure (w/ controller) is an unknown.

There's too many choices out there. They'd likely only check pre-built external units while many people will build their own from standalone drives with separate enclosures. As soon as you do that, a "supported" drive in an untested enclosure (w/ controller) is an unknown.

Tested would be complete units; ie things like the Maxtor OneTouch series; the Seagate Free Agent series, WD MyBooks etc.

As we've discussed elsewhere; unless you want a specific feature there's no price advantage to the build your own approach these days.

Cheers,

Just ordered a LaCie 500GB USB 2.0 drive through the SatelliteGuys Store link on Amazon :)up) so Scott gets a small piece of the action. I really wanted the Seagate FreeAgent 500GB drive with a 5-yr warranty, but that $129 ship sailed last week. I figured for $125 to the door price and a 5-out-of-5 on the user reviews, I'd give it a shot.

Funny thing, buy.com still had the 500GB FreeAgent at $129, but when you put it in your cart, it changed the price to the current prices :(, about $30-$50 more.

So if you dont like it dont order it. I don't know what else to tell you.

There are lots of R&D costs involved with this feature that MOST folks will not use. (Hell most folks who have an HDTV think they are watching HDTV even though they dont have any programming or tuner feeding their TV's HD)

In addition there will be an increase of support calls because of this feature.

This feature was created because of the requests of our hard core users.

I find it funny the ones who are upset about spending $40 onetime to turn this new feature on are some of the same folks telling us how they were going to build these multi terabyte HD libraries.

I could see complaints if it was a monthly fee, but for a one time setup fee it is really not to bad.

True, how true. This is $40 I will be happy to spend.

Hey guys, I don't begrudge them trying to recoup their costs plus a little for king and country here.....

The alternative is that they don't do this kind of thing anymore. I WISH they would give us more flexibility. Let's not slap them down when they make it a little more customizable..... Plug in an external drive and get tens or hundreds more hours of HD. Sign me up (as soon as I get my house built at least....)

Scott, you should update the first post to reflect the limitation about moving external HDDs between receivers.

Scott, you should update the first post to reflect the limitation about moving external HDDs between receivers.
That's right. Otherwise some confusion may arise for those folks that still think Dish Network says what it means and means what it says.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts