Some menu changes coming to VIP receivers

Ok, thanks, I don't see where it tells you that in the guide, maybe on the dish site,..,.

BTW - if the receiver automatically sends it in 1080P, with no way to change it to 1080I, one of my TV's would not be capable of getting it. My older Sharp Plasma 1080I will give a "No HDMI detected" if you feed a 1080P signal. It can not decode down to 1080I. I guess with most or all newer sets that is not problem...

Last edited:
BTW - if the receiver automatically sends it in 1080P, with no way to change it to 1080I, one of my TV's would not be capable of getting it. My older Sharp Plasma 1080I will give a "No HDMI detected" if you feed a 1080P signal. It can not decode down to 1080I. I guess with most or all newer sets that is not problem...

That shouldn't be the case if you're using at least a HDMI v1.3 cable. If your HDMI version is at least 1.3 or higher, then it should "communicate" with your TV and receiver so it "knows" what signal to send to your TV. So if your TV is 1080I, then your receiver would send a 1080I signal to your TV with no problems.

That shouldn't be the case if you're using at least a HDMI v1.3 cable. If your HDMI version is at least 1.3 or higher, then it should "communicate" with your TV and receiver so it "knows" what signal to send to your TV. So if your TV is 1080I, then your receiver would send a 1080I signal to your TV with no problems.

It is possible the cable is not 1.3 or higher.....

Seems like when 1080p first came to Dish, some folks reported a popup that stated something like "your TV doesn't support 1080p". I could be imagining things though.
Nope, you remember correctly. My Sony 1080p set was not originally able to receive/view 1080p programming from Dish. I worked with Dish engineers back in 2009 and a SW release was able to correct the issue with some Sony and other manufacturer sets.

Are you saying if a VOD movie in 1080P is being broadcast by Dish, the receiver will pass that along to a 1080P TV and display at 1080P? Can people who have actually seen this post please? I am very skeptical that the receiver will pass along 1080P as 1080P.....Can people can tell me a current movie they get in 1080P - not that is just broadcast in 1080P? If the receiver is capable of that I can't believe it isn't an option then, but stranger things have happened!
Yes 1080p works great. I just looked through my guide and the only 1080p movie I see listed currently is "Due Date"

Ok, thanks, I don't see where it tells you that in the guide, maybe on the dish site,..,.

Before viewing a 1080p movie the receiver runs a test to your TV and will alert you if your TV is not 1080p compatable.

It also appears that the guide can be set to HD-only when there exists 2 channels (SD and HD), though the meaning of that menu is unclear. :(

I was wondering the same thing. If both SD and HD channels are available will the HD Only option exclude the SD channels in this case but continue to show SD channels if no HD exists? That's ideally the way I'd like to see the guild if there's some combination of options to make it work this way.

I have a 720p tv at home and if I select a 1080p movie it tells you that your TV in not compatible and that it will change to a compatible mode.

At Friends house who has a 1080p Samsung that does not happen and if you press the info button it shows 1080p at 60hz as opposed to the normal 1080i at 60hz

Ok, explains why I didn't see any in 1080P, there is only one I must have missed it. Thanks all.

Most of these changes make sense, and I think are improvements. However, I really hate that they are going to remove Full Guide without video. When I'm looking at the guide, I want to see the largest number of channels possible, and do NOT want the distraction of seeing (and hearing) a program at the same time. This is one the the first settings I made when I got my first Dish receiver about 10 years ago, and I haven't changed my opinion since. This choice REMOVES flexibility and choice, and doesn't add anything useful.

I would never use anything but the choices with the show still visible. But I am also wondering why take away that option?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts