Some more dish questions...

SatboyZ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 30, 2005
Okay I have been trolling for a while and can not find the answers I need (maybe another sticky in the making). We are former 811 users on Dish. Since we are in Canada using our US address, I purchased a new 211 receiver on Ebay. Now the issues - we needed nothing more than the DP 500 quad Lnb dish before since we did not subscribe to Voom.

I want to connect only 1 receiver. Our backyard faces east and 129 might be too low to the horizon to receive because of a neighbors trees. If I want to point a dish (I have an old Bell dish) at 61.5 with the quad dish 500, could I combine them with an sw21 since we need only one feed? Alternatively, would I have to buy an dp 34 or 44 and would this work? If we wanted to "move" to get HD locals (currently received on SC), what is the best (cheapest) option to get 110,119,118 and either 61.5 or 129? I am thinking that if I have to replace the dish anyways, the 1000.2 looks like the best bet but how does one get 118 also? Connecting this altogether seems to be the biggest problem - why do they make this so difficult? This is 4 satellites just to watch HD- Seesh!!!!!

Thanks for the replies
Satboyz

In order to add 118 to the mix you need either a Dish 500+ or a Dish 1000+. Both have a FSS/DSS combo lnb for 118/119 and the reflector is larger.

Why do yo need 118, it has international programming, and 5 Dish HD locals (Detroit, St. Louis and Raliegh, Pittsburgh and Charlotte)?

I think for one receiver a SW21 would combine two dishes (110/119 and 61.5) satisfactorily. One cable from the quad, one cable from the 110/119 dish joined with the SW21 to your 211 - BINGO!

Those who are wiser will now correct me (the best way to get correct info is to throw out a WAG and duck).

Thanks for the reply

I was unsure about the mixing of a dishpro lnb with a legacy switch. The reason that I threw 118 into the mix is on case more locals (HD) move to it and if I have to replace the dish 500 anyways. We currently have SC for both east (detroit) and west (seattle) locals but I was trying to eliminate one bill. Our Fl address would mean we would have to "move" in order to see the detroit locals.

If the DP 500 will work with a legacy switch/lnb I think we will probably stick with SC for now.

Satboyz

Jim5506 is correct about the SW21 switch with DP.

I had that with my original setup from dish. I also have had a 500 at 119/110 and a 300 at 61.5. They were tied together with DP21. I did not have any problems for several years. Recently had service call due to 21 switch going bad. Installer tied my 61.5 DP into the 500 DP at the dish, think he changed out the 500 PD lnb, so no 21 switch.:p

Good luck!:)

Last edited:
You cannot mix legacy lnbs with DP lnbs. If you want to use a SW21 then both lnbs need to be Legacy. If both LNBs are DP then you can use a DP21 to combine them.

Another option is to get a Dish Pro Plus Twin for 119 and 110 and feed the sat in port with 61.5 (note: the lnb at 61.5 must be DP).

I believe what RandallA is saying about the Dish Pro Plus Twin is correct as that is what I have at this time, sorry for the earlier confusion-not having a good Monday:hatsoff:, but again good luck with your installation issues:D

Yeah you must use a Dp21 switch rather than a SW21. Does the same thing, just for DP LNBS. Your LNB you are combining with the Dp quad must be DP as well. I would just go out on ebay and get a DP twin. Less hassle, less connections, about $15.00.