Some Newbie Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TheOneVader

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Currently, I have a normal DirecTV set-up with a Hughes receiver. I'm interested in getting the DirecTV DVR with TiVo, but I have a few questions...

1. Is the Turbo feature still on the DVR?
2. Can you still schedule a program so it automatically goes to that channel?
3. Is the onscreen guide basically the same as a standalone TiVo?
4. I'm a little confused about the record ability. You record one show while watching another, and you can you record two shows while watching one of the recorded shows or an already recorded show, correct?

Thanks in advance!

I'll do my best to answer you here with out getting "uber geeky".

1)Never heard of Turbo. Please Define.

2)Yes this can be done from a search screen, such as name search, or you can manaully set a timer or you can setup a Season Pass, which will automatically record a show every time it comes on the particular channel.

3)As I understand it, yes.

4)You are correct.

TheOneVader said:
Currently, I have a normal DirecTV set-up with a Hughes receiver. I'm interested in getting the DirecTV DVR with TiVo, but I have a few questions...

1. Is the Turbo feature still on the DVR?
2. Can you still schedule a program so it automatically goes to that channel?
3. Is the onscreen guide basically the same as a standalone TiVo?
4. I'm a little confused about the record ability. You record one show while watching another, and you can you record two shows while watching one of the recorded shows or an already recorded show, correct?

Thanks in advance!

1. HUH?

2. YUP

3. Point of Clarification. Its slightly slower but is the same

4. Yup

My original DirecTV setup used two Hughes receivers and I think I know what you're talking about. I got rid of one of them four years ago when I got my first HD receiver and got rid of the second one a year ago when I got my first DirecTivo. Here goes:

1. The Turbo feature was a 9 channel favorite channel grid that would pop up when pressing the select button. It made going to favorite channels really easy. I really like that feature and miss it. I haven't had it on any my three receivers since.

2. Scheduling a recording on the DirecTivos won't force the receiver to view a different channel unless you're recording two things at once and have the receiver on a third channel. When this happens the DirecTivo will put up a warning screen 1-2 minutes before the second recording is to start. It gives you the option to cancel the recording to keep watching what you're watching. I believe the old Hughes receivers you could schedule it to switch channels at certain times. I never used this feature.

3. I've never seen a standalone Tivo.

4. Yep.

-JustBob

JustBob is right about the Turbo. It's a little pop-up menu that has your favorite channels listed and you could see what was on from the little menu. I'm still confused about the schedule, btu I think I udnerstand now... Basically, you cannot set a show so it will automatically go to that channel when the show comes on, right?

TheOneVader said:
JustBob is right about the Turbo. It's a little pop-up menu that has your favorite channels listed and you could see what was on from the little menu. I'm still confused about the schedule, btu I think I udnerstand now... Basically, you cannot set a show so it will automatically go to that channel when the show comes on, right?

no... you can tell it to record taht show and jsut hit live tv to cycle tuners

basicly the live tv button switches whatever tuner you are watching to the other.

I have another question, this one about the TV buffer thing. As I understand it, the buffer is when it starts recording a show so you can go back in time and replay. Now, if you join a show already in progress, can you go back a little bit or can you only go as far back as you've been watching that channel? I'm guessing no, but just wanted to clear that up...

I have one more question... The earliest I will be able to get a DVR is the end of the month. Now, should I wait until the R15 comes out so I can get that, or shoudl I get the TiVo one?... Better yet, do you think I should just wait until they're both out and compare them?

I have one last question (hopefully :p)... If I call DirecTV and say I want a DirecTV DVR with TiVo, what kind of receiver will I get? Will I have some choices, will I get what I get, or will it just be one specific one (Like the R10)?

TheOneVader said:
I have one last question (hopefully :p)... If I call DirecTV and say I want a DirecTV DVR with TiVo, what kind of receiver will I get? Will I have some choices, will I get what I get, or will it just be one specific one (Like the R10)?

you will get what you get. Likely an R10 but it could be an older model.

why not give Value electronics a call?

So, I can buy the reciver anywhere and still get the rebate from DirecTV? Also, if I buy the receiver seperately, would I still get free installaton?

I have one more question... Does TiVo have a single line guide browse thingie. Basically, the thing on the normal DirecTV where if you press up, it'll have this mini guide on the screen so you can continue to watch TV and browse through the channel guide? I hope that made sense...

No, the Tivo guide is a semi-transparent guide that covers most of your screen. I remember the single line guide on the old Hughes as being a nice feature too.

-JustBob

TheOneVader said:
correct, it will record it, but it doesn't have the go-to feature . .

TheOneVader said:
I have another question, this one about the TV buffer thing. As I understand it, the buffer is when it starts recording a show so you can go back in time and replay. Now, if you join a show already in progress, can you go back a little bit or can you only go as far back as you've been watching that channel? I'm guessing no, but just wanted to clear that up...
there's two tuners, so if you've been surfing on one you have no buffer to speak of on that one, but the one you haven't been looking at will always have 30 rolling minutes of buffer that you can go back on. if you have been watching a show, though, for example, for 22 minutes and then decide to record it you will get the whole show, it picks up the first 22 from the buffer, just don't change channels, it throws the buffer away instantly.

jgs

TheOneVader said:
I have one more question... Does TiVo have a single line guide browse thingie. Basically, the thing on the normal DirecTV where if you press up, it'll have this mini guide on the screen so you can continue to watch TV and browse through the channel guide? I hope that made sense...
actually, if you hit the right button, you get info on a customizable banner, though you can't change channels within the banner

How do I switch between tuners so I don't mess with one of the buffers?

TheOneVader said:
How do I switch between tuners so I don't mess with one of the buffers?
use the down button on the remote, it lets you cycle through tuners without changing channels

Alright, thanks. I decided to go ahead and get one. I'm getting it tomorrow. Can't wait!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts