Some of my recent satellite DX'es

Status
Please reply by conversation.

remlap

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Wales
Is satellite DXing a hobby in itself in North America? Trying to pull in birds that are broadcasting over a far off area but reception is still possible somewhere else in the right conditions and equipment?

Here is three of my recent DX's I have attached maps of where I am.

Eurobird 2 25.5e - Beam: http://www.eutelsat.com/satellites/coverage/downlink/255e.gif

Photo Album - Reception shots - Studio feed from Libya.

Eurobird 2 25.5e - Beam: http://www.eutelsat.com/satellites/coverage/downlink/255eb2_super.gif

Photo Album - Reception shots - Radio only transponder

Eutelsat W7 36e - Beam: http://www.eutelsat.com/satellites/coverage/downlink/36e-w7-ssa.gif

Photo Album - Reception shots - No FTA.

Attached is my location roughly in the white and red circle

Attachments

• emeaMap.jpg
    emeaMap.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 220
Cool. By the way, do you speak Welsh?

No sadly I don't, this area had a big influx of English and Welsh was stamped out by the English, the last member of my family to speak Welsh was my great grandfather and my grandmother was a semi speaker thanks to him.

You were able to lock on to a signal from 36.0°E from Britain? That is a mid to south African beam. What dish size and LNB did you use?

You were able to lock on to a signal from 36.0°E from Britain? That is a mid to south African beam. What dish size and LNB did you use?

Yep I was and its in right now its my Gibertini 1m with a Technomate TM-4 LNB.

1m, that's impressive. Could it be the maps are "stingy" and underestimate the eirp and coverage? I'm pretty much in the heartland of the N.A. beams so there's little available in Out of footprint. The OoF I've tried are just too far out of footprint. Ku or C band. I remember someone in S.A. getting some European OoF with a homemade 26 ft( I think?) dish. I seem to remember it being analog though. wish I could locate that website again, a bit interesting.

You mean that German guy in Brazil? Wish I had downloaded the videos of that, the vids had gone missing last time I looked.

...Eurobird 2 25.5e...Eutelsat W7 36e...
From Cardiff to Eutelsat W7 at 36E is similar in azimuth / elevation for you (134 degs az / 21 deg el) to my receiving Telstar 12 at 15W. Except the big difference is that Telstar 12 has transponders targeting this area. I'm surprised you can receive outside those footprints with only a 1m. I think it's tough for North America since it's unlikely any footprint will come anywhere near us (to centre of Atlantic?) unless it's for us. Then the source will put the footprint on us. But this is why the west coast should try for French Polynesia which lyngsat indicates might be receivable in, say, California.

1m, that's impressive. Could it be the maps are "stingy" and underestimate the eirp and coverage? I'm pretty much in the heartland of the N.A. beams so there's little available in Out of footprint. The OoF I've tried are just too far out of footprint. Ku or C band. I remember someone in S.A. getting some European OoF with a homemade 26 ft( I think?) dish. I seem to remember it being analog though. wish I could locate that website again, a bit interesting.

Yep they are underestimated by a lot even to keep rights holders happy but still its a DX for me.

Klaus Schumacher dish wasn't home made I don't think but he was trying all ways to get digital Astra 1 on it, he's sadly passed recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
12244 H on 36e Sub Sahara Beam cleared for me briefly at 0404GMT I was about to record the ts and went again, luckily tsreader grabbed some stills in the meantime.

MultiChoice Africa Clears for 30 Seconds at 04:04GMT

Not sure why they went clear had the TV on in the background doing nothing and audio started. Bonus of being up so early?

Surprised to see The Talk being broadcast to Africa even at this time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)