Some potentially interesting HD test channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
DirecTV needs to compete. You'd be hard pressed to show me a cable company that carries less HBO/MAX channels in HD than D*. Even Time Warner/Bright House have finally gotten on board and picked up many of the feeds.

It is plain and simple, if they don't add premium channels, many subscribers will leave. They have plenty of open slots now and a good chunk of them better be filled with HD premiums.

The only cable option in this area (metro area population around a half million) is Comcast. They only offer a grand total of 2 HBO/Cinemax HD channels.

It's all relative, my friend.

You'd be hard pressed to show me a cable company that carries less HBO/MAX channels in HD than D*.

VERY easy for us here on comcrap - ONE of each of the following:
HBO, MAX, Showtime & Starz- THAT'S it!

On some surrounding cable co (Cass Comm) - same thing, but they do ALSO get TMC.

While I DO agree D* needs to get it together on this, I also agree that adding 26 HBO/MAX feeds is a total waste of bandwidth - NOT everyone cares about these.

I'd like to have some idea why exactly anyone would need 26 HBO and Cinemax channels. Most of those channels just repeat the same content over and over. I can understand wanting more than what is currently offered but 26 is a little overboard.
especially when most people have DVR's

I agree D* needs to add some more programming besides sports. Not all of us likes sports. Or maybe one or two (Nascar & NHRA myself). I hope to see more of the cable networks in HD. There's on a very few more I watch in SD that I would like to see an HD feed. But more premium channels would be good. I might would even subscribe if there is a lot of different programs besides the same few repeating over and over.

Here, Comcast has one HD feed of each of the premium channels. Plus they have never been able to stop the pixelation on the HD channels. So back to D* I come. Waiting on the tech as I type.

I'd like to have some idea why exactly anyone would need 26 HBO and Cinemax channels. Most of those channels just repeat the same content over and over. I can understand wanting more than what is currently offered but 26 is a little overboard.

See I look at it just the opposite of you. Why not have 26 channels of HBO/MAX?

I had every possible premium channel in SD from the dawn of digital cable in the 1990's on. Once you have that kind of choice, it is very hard to go back. Since the dawn of HD, I have gotten more and more so to the point where I could not watch SD movies anymore. So having just the east and west HBO/MAX in HD with DirecTV, it is like I only have four channels again.

I like the option to flip. While I have a 1000+ DVD/Bluray/HD-DVD collection, there are hidden treasures that I have found over the years via the premium channels. The type of movie where you wouldn't even pick up the box at the video rental store but if you actually see the movie, you LOVE it! I like choice. Sure, many of the movies repeat throughout the month, but without 26 channels you aren't getting 26 individual options at any given pickup of the remote.

To each their own. A huge selling point for me is the most premium channels. I had FIOS before my house had a disaster and I was forced to move. Now I am in a part of town where I cannot get FIOS (even though 200 feet away is serviced). It is hard going from 26 to 4, let alone Showtime, Starz, and TMC.

For some of you sports channels are important. I live in the Tampa Bay metro and as long as I have the Bucs, Lightning, and Rays, I am good to go. I view the baseball package "extra innings" the same way some might view the movie channels. You are OK with a few HBOs, I want them all. I am OK with a few RSNs, you want them all. Do you really care about the game in Seattle involving two teams that mean nothing to you? Well, many pay for the extra package to get those games. I am paying actually more for premiums with DirecTV than I did with FIOS and getting less channels. So can you blame me for clamoring for more?

The only cable option in this area (metro area population around a half million) is Comcast. They only offer a grand total of 2 HBO/Cinemax HD channels.

It's all relative, my friend.

Wow... sucks to be your metro... in the Tampa Bay metro you have Bright House Networks, DirecTV, Dish Network, Knology (Pinellas County), and the coveted FIOS (with way too many coverage holes).

What I was saying is that MOST cable companies now offer more HBO/MAX than DirecTV does and even if they don't, Dish Network does.

VERY easy for us here on comcrap - ONE of each of the following:
HBO, MAX, Showtime & Starz- THAT'S it!

On some surrounding cable co (Cass Comm) - same thing, but they do ALSO get TMC.

While I DO agree D* needs to get it together on this, I also agree that adding 26 HBO/MAX feeds is a total waste of bandwidth - NOT everyone cares about these.

Brighthouse in Eufaula has you all beat. Get ready for it:

HBOHD

That's all the HD Premiums they have.

Thats what I think of the 30 or 40 fox sports channels that are usually showing the same shows...Why the hell would you need 10 different ESPNs? :confused:

I just think that there is no reason why ANY sat or cable company wouldn't provide ALL of the channels available. I really would like to have all those HBOs in HD. I'd also like to have everything else in HD--if it's available, why can't we have it?

DirecTV needs to compete. You'd be hard pressed to show me a cable company that carries less HBO/MAX channels in HD than D*. Even Time Warner/Bright House have finally gotten on board and picked up many of the feeds.

It is plain and simple, if they don't add premium channels, many subscribers will leave. They have plenty of open slots now and a good chunk of them better be filled with HD premiums.

My local cable company has 9 HBO and 8 Cinemax, but only 1 HD of each.

Well with all these re mapping of Premium channels....pretty much guarentees more HD premium on its way....In a perfect world every channels will be HD...but too bad the world is far from perfect...at the end of the day any HD ( watchable) is welcomed but I wont be bummed if we dont get all the "popular" channels. At the end of the day it is only TV

My local cable company has 9 HBO and 8 Cinemax, but only 1 HD of each.
You can get Dish Network in your location, no? My point is that most cable providers and the other US satellite carrier (Dish Network) have more HD HBO/MAX channels than DirecTV!

We need some more!

, I also agree that adding 26 HBO/MAX feeds is a total waste of bandwidth - NOT everyone cares about these.

Major selling point in my book. I had all 26 for years with BHN in SD while DirecTV subscribers didn't even know what HBO Comedy was. HBO Zone what? Wmax? a wireless technology, nope, Cinemax's women's channel!

Then I got all 26 in HD with FIOS.. how awesome!

Now I am stuck with the flagship east and west of each channel. How exciting!

DirecTV needs to address this problem to compete!

Major selling point in my book. I had all 26 for years with BHN in SD while DirecTV subscribers didn't even know what HBO Comedy was. HBO Zone what? Wmax? a wireless technology, nope, Cinemax's women's channel!

Then I got all 26 in HD with FIOS.. how awesome!

Now I am stuck with the flagship east and west of each channel. How exciting!

DirecTV needs to address this problem to compete!

What would you do with all those channels you mentioned.
How can you watch all them at the same time ? :)

The way I see it, probably about 1/2 of those premiums for HBO and Cinemax actually get watched (haven't checked the ratings, just thinking).
I think that is a lot of over saturation.

That said, 3 Cinemax channels for $ 13 is very lame.

I have four DVRs in my house. What's your point?

There is something to be said for "channel surfing." I am a pretty big movie fan. I own more DVDs/Blurays/HD-DVDs than most people own softcover books. Having that said, I love channel surfing the premium channels and finding hidden gems I'd never otherwise see. A DVR is great, but does nothing for spontaneous film watching. when you just want to flip.

What would you do with all those channels you mentioned.
How can you watch all them at the same time ? :)

The way I see it, probably about 1/2 of those premiums for HBO and Cinemax actually get watched (haven't checked the ratings, just thinking).
I think that is a lot of over saturation.

That said, 3 Cinemax channels for $ 13 is very lame.

26 channels means 26 different programs airing at the same time. Hardly over saturation.

You'd be suprised on this one.

Roughly half of DirecTV's customers have an "advanced product", meaning any HD receiver, DVR receiver, or HD-DVR receiver.

That means roughly half the customer base still has just basic SD.

When we talk about the pathetic offings on some premiums (Cinemax 3 channels anyone) it isn't just HD. Imagine how many more subs to Cinemax they would sell (or keep) with a full boat of channels there.

SD is very limited due to bandwith at 101, but they can launch more in HD (like they did with Starz, two are HD only) and that will encourage more HD upgrades.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)