Some questions about switching

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TheWarden

Original poster
Sep 12, 2003
I'm thinking about switching to D* from E*. I really want an HD DVR, and if I'm going to have to buy one, I'd much rather not have to pay a lease fee too :)

I'd like to get both an HD and regular tivo. And, a new dish.

My current setup is a Dish 500 twin and a 61.5 sat, which means I have 3 coax cables running into my house right now from the dishes. I also have an OTA antenna cable running from the roof into the house as well. I disconnected one of the 61.5 connections to use for the OTA one.

With all that said, here are my questions:

1. I can use the current mast and coax cables for the new D* dish (leaving one connection from the dish unused), correct?

2. Each tivo will work off of one connection to the dish (each will have its own connection)? I know I won't have the full fuctionality, like dual-tuner, but I should still be able to record one program and watch another on each, right? I'd like to get 2 lines to each box, but I'm not sure how I could do that without drilling new holes...and I'm not sure that'd pass the wife approval factor :)

3. On the HD DVR, can I record an OTA program, record a satellite program, and watch a 3rd, pre-recorded one?

4. The tivo free is per account and not per box?

5. How's the HD OTA tuner compare to other ones? I can get almost everything in Atlanta, FOX is kinda spotty, with what I currently have. I don't want to take a step backwards...

6. Are the programming promotions stackable? Like, I'd get the HD package for free for 3 months and Total Choice free for 4?

7. Once D* goes to MPEG-4, we're 99.99% sure that they're going to upgrade everyone for free (or for very close to free)? I don't really want to pay $500 for a DVR that is obsolete in 3 months.

Thanks

TheWarden said:
1. I can use the current mast and coax cables for the new D* dish (leaving one connection from the dish unused), correct? You can use the coax, the Phase III dish will have 4 available coax connections off of it.

2. Each tivo will work off of one connection to the dish (each will have its own connection)? I know I won't have the full fuctionality, like dual-tuner, but I should still be able to record one program and watch another on each, right? I'd like to get 2 lines to each box, but I'm not sure how I could do that without drilling new holes...and I'm not sure that'd pass the wife approval factor :) You can use just the one coax to each Tivo, but you could record one, while watching another recorded program. Should run 2 lines to each Tivo to take full advantage.

3. On the HD DVR, can I record an OTA program, record a satellite program, and watch a 3rd, pre-recorded one? Yes, with the appropriate number of coax runs going to it.

4. The tivo free is per account and not per box? One fee for all Tivo's on account. Included if you have Total Choice Premier

5. How's the HD OTA tuner compare to other ones? I can get almost everything in Atlanta, FOX is kinda spotty, with what I currently have. I don't want to take a step backwards...

6. Are the programming promotions stackable? Like, I'd get the HD package for free for 3 months and Total Choice free for 4? I think those are if you also order the Sunday Ticket. Not too sure about all promo's out though.

7. Once D* goes to MPEG-4, we're 99.99% sure that they're going to upgrade everyone for free (or for very close to free)? I don't really want to pay $500 for a DVR that is obsolete in 3 months. That is the rumor.

Thanks

Answers in Bold.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)