Some recent 625 issues on new activation

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Recently I have seen some issues with the 625 receivers freezing up after sowftware download and activation. I have also seen the tuner 1 side completely drop the a/v, the whole unit has also went into hard disk diagnostics, and has also popped up a hard disk failure message 015a. What I have found is that it is not a failure of the receiver but a software issue either due to software on the unit from the factory being corrupted ( most likely ) or from the software download from the sat.

To work around this issue you can do the following once or twice to clear it out. After activation is when you will see these issues happen, to clear it up you will need to do a hard reset by pulling the power cord and letting the unit sit unplugged for 30 seconds, plug the unit back in and this should clear the problem out. If it has gone into hard disk diagnostics and you do this it will clear out the tuner 2 modulation and reset it to air channel 60.

Dont do a front panel reset as it wont work, the hard reset is the only way to fix these issue's and this should save you from having to RA a new receiver.

SimpleSimon said:
Only 625 out-of-box failure I've had was prior to activation.
Went into a reboot loop. Nothing brought it back. :(
Yanking the drive out, putting it in a computer and deleting all partitions might have resurrected that one.

Well considering the operating system is on there to you would have just totally killed the box unless you had another 625 with a good factory image to mirror over to that drive.

These new DVR capable Sat and cable boxes are nothing more than a Private label Media Center type PC.

I went through two 625's in two weeks. the hard drive failed on the first one and the 2nd one had toslink/ Dolby 5.1 issues which I believe were hard drive related. I bought a 942 which works great and are now, or soon will be, avaliable for a song.

Pepper said:
Yanking the drive out, putting it in a computer and deleting all partitions might have resurrected that one.
Yeah, maybe. I forget if the 625 has a core OS on a ROM chip or not.

But in any event, pulling the drive would void the warranty.

I just grabbed another one and RA'd the bad one.

TheDishNetworkInstaller said:
Well considering the operating system is on there to you would have just totally killed the box unless you had another 625 with a good factory image to mirror over to that drive.

These new DVR capable Sat and cable boxes are nothing more than a Private label Media Center type PC.
Actually, the operating system for the Dish DVRs is embedded Linux in the EEPROM. Only the 721 and 921 have a disk-based OS. I have resurrected several dead 522's by wiping the drive.

I have seen the same problem with 625's freezing up, dropping a/v signal on tuner 1 after download and activation. When that happens, look at tv 2 and it usually says something like "please press record to match uhf address to receiver" or something like that. Press record on the uhf remote and the picture on tv1 will suddenly reappear. 322's have been doing that occasionally for a while longer than the 625.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts