Some sats keep losing position.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Das Hammer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Too close to Ohio
Hi, I have a 10 foot dish with a 24" Von Weise actuator(polar mount). Recently picked up a 922 to replace the 920.

Seems like every couple or three days one satellite or another will lose it's position and be about 20 ticks off. It won't be EVERY sat that I have programmed, just one maybe two. Most recently G1 went off course and I kept blaming the wife for leaving the 4D on all night so it didn't get any updates. Well, sure enough it was off and I dialed it right back in and everything has been fine. Did a check on the adjacent sats C3 and C4 and they were OK, as I was getting 93 to 99 quality on some of the stronger TPs out there.

It seems to have started since I got the 922, but can't tell for sure. Dad bought the 920 from me, so maybe I'll have to swap with him for a couple weeks and see if either of us have problems.

Anyone else got an idea?

My 920 does that occasionally. I think the memory has a brain fart or something. It goes about 10-20 clicks too far, but it doesn't happen often and it works fine after I relocate the sat.

Al

I don't have any really good ideas, but you might try lubricating your mount. I had some trouble with mine doing that a while back, and I lubricated the bolts my mount rotates on with motor oil. It pretty much eliminated the problem for me.

Mike

Ok, what I did was remove all of the satellites and reprogrammed them. Everything was fine until a couple days ago when it was really windy again. Now everything is off about 20 ticks.

I suppose the next step is to replace the actuator's reed sensor.

I'm going to write to my congressman and see if we can't get something done about this wind. At least it blows to the east most of the time so we don't get any of that nasty air from Ohio.

There should be a bare stranded wire in the actuator bundle. Connect
that wire to the ground lug on the 4DTV back panel and see if that helps.
It will act as a drain, so there is no need to connect the other end to the
actuator. This helped on some 4DTV installs I did years ago.

Lynskyn said:
There should be a bare stranded wire in the actuator bundle. Connect
that wire to the ground lug on the 4DTV back panel and see if that helps.
It will act as a drain, so there is no need to connect the other end to the
actuator. This helped on some 4DTV installs I did years ago.

Hey, worth a try. Thanks.

Well, I FINALLY got around to trying the solution by attaching the bare wire to the ground lug on the 922. I am happy to report that after 5 days everything is A-OK! Thanks!!!!!:)

Wind huh...

Das Hammer said:
Ok, what I did was remove all of the satellites and reprogrammed them. Everything was fine until a couple days ago when it was really windy again. Now everything is off about 20 ticks.

I suppose the next step is to replace the actuator's reed sensor.

I'm going to write to my congressman and see if we can't get something done about this wind. At least it blows to the east most of the time so we don't get any of that nasty air from Ohio.

You wanna see some wind???? Try Northern Nevada!! Imagine 30mph winds blowing at 95d every afternoon (and those are the normal ones!)when it really gets windy say 70mph + I usually have to reset some sat positions.

Seriously, My old no name actuator will miss occasionally and be off by maybe 5-10 clicks from time to time! JUST WAITING FOR IT TO BITE THE DUST!

Have a heavier one waiting to be installed...but instead of making excuses...I AM JUST TOO LAZY!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts