Some Thoughts About The Future

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dragon002

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
DONORA PA
Guys ,

think about this scenerio. i just talked to my old rep who works for the former owner of DIRECTV.

try this on for size:

Directv/ news corp may buy HNS

HNS owns spaceway 3 & 4 being built by BOEING

Directv sells the rights to the 110 and 119 to ergen, say a goodwill offering to the FCC

Directv now has the 99, the core 101 and the 103, real small dish ,HUH?

Directv would then have 96 KA/KU tsp at the 99 and 96 KA/KU tsp at the 103 all steerable spot beams. they would also have 170 combined tsp at the core 101 slot.

he then launches FOX HD and turns FOX SPORTS to all HD.

QUESTION , how many HD channels could they carry and still support the sd until 2009?

IF this info is true, and i trust this guy. dish is DONE, ergen could not respond fast enough.

thoughts??

dragon002 said:
Guys ,

think about this scenerio. i just talked to my old rep who works for the former owner of DIRECTV.

try this on for size:

Directv sells the rights to the 110 and 119 to ergen, say a goodwill offering to the FCC

Directv would then have 96 KA/KU tsp at the 99 and 96 KA/KU tsp at the 103 all steerable spot beams. they would also have 170 combined tsp at the core 101 slot.

QUESTION , how many HD channels could they carry and still support the sd until 2009?

IF this info is true, and i trust this guy. dish is DONE, ergen could not respond fast enough.

thoughts??

This would be awesome, how long would it take for them to go BACK to a small dish ???? seeing they are pushing the A-9. and already probably have quite a supply.

FOX RSN's in HD would also be awesome.
Q. Can you imagine what the NEXT price increase would be ???
The csr would still be able to use the same scripts when asked about cost going up...Well in order to add satillites we need to add cost ...yada,yada, yada...

the small dish thing can't happen quick enoughas far as I am concerned ....and the installers apperantly.
Jimbo

dragon002 said:
Guys ,

try this on for size:

thoughts??

LMAO I heard you say Dish was done a year ago but they just continue to kick D*'s ass and embarrass them IMO.

It is obvious that you don't understand some of the basics associated with what determines the size of a dish that is needed to receive Ka and regular Ku band. Smaller dishes can be used for DBS Ku band primarily because of the minimum of 9 degrees of spacing between DBS orbital slots. Regular Ku band and Ka band need larger dishes because the spacing between slots is much smaller, around 2 degrees and a larger dish is needed to clearly focus the signal. For example Dish's Superdish is as large as it is not because of the spread between 105 W and 119 W but because the signal from 105 W is regular Ku band. In fact, Dish folks found that they could rig a Superdish to get 105, 110, 119 and 129 W. This demonstrated that the Superdish was designed as large as it is not because of the spread between slots but because of the regular Ku band used. In addition, Ka band is far more susceptible to rain fade than Ku band and a larger dish helps with that. So what you propose probably would not reduce the size of the AT 9 dish much if at all.

dragon002 said:
Guys ,

try this on for size:

thoughts??

I heard of that and the small LNB's.

rocatman said:
It is obvious that you don't understand some of the basics associated with what determines the size of a dish that is needed to receive Ka and regular Ku band. Smaller dishes can be used for DBS Ku band primarily because of the minimum of 9 degrees of spacing between DBS orbital slots. Regular Ku band and Ka band need larger dishes because the spacing between slots is much smaller, around 2 degrees and a larger dish is needed to clearly focus the signal. For example Dish's Superdish is as large as it is not because of the spread between 105 W and 119 W but because the signal from 105 W is regular Ku band. In fact, Dish folks found that they could rig a Superdish to get 105, 110, 119 and 129 W. This demonstrated that the Superdish was designed as large as it is not because of the spread between slots but because of the regular Ku band used. In addition, Ka band is far more susceptible to rain fade than Ku band and a larger dish helps with that. So what you propose probably would not reduce the size of the AT 9 dish much if at all.

i do believe that only aiming at the 99-101-103 slots only, the dish would be larger than an 18 round. hell even a 20 X 24 would be a HUGE improvement. and it would only need the 1 5/8 inch mast. also anyone who has the 18 round could use this dish.

dragon002 said:
i do believe that only aiming at the 99-101-103 slots only, the dish would be larger than an 18 round. hell even a 20 X 24 would be a HUGE improvement. and it would only need the 1 5/8 inch mast. also anyone who has the 18 round could use this dish.

With Ka and regular Ku band, I think you would still need a dish closer to 30". You might get away with something down to 28" but the downlink availability for Ka band with its susceptibility to rain fade makes smaller dishes extremely difficult.

rocatman said:

Actually, IF you are referring to the original post,

I disagree, Just my opinion...

If all the slots are moved to be between the 96 any 103 slots, thats only 7 degrees over all, it might be a real good idea, as long as some are not to srtong so they don't interfere with the next slot.

Jimbo

rocatman said:
With Ka and regular Ku band, I think you would still need a dish closer to 30". You might get away with something down to 28" but the downlink availability for Ka band with its susceptibility to rain fade makes smaller dishes extremely difficult.

If the ka is so much more suseptiable to rain and weather, why would they consider using that band ?

I use to use that band with my old BUD .

Jimbo

dragon002 said:

The 20x24 dish would be more practical although you would still need a different dish,possibly the same size, but would need to be re designed to add the Ka to the Ku.

Jimbo

I really hope this is somrthing that is seriously being considered.

Sounds like a pipe dream to me as those spots (99 and 103) are not DBS Spots which means lower powered satellites also meaning larger dishes (Aka the SuperDish)

This faced with the costs of moving almost every dish out there (plus all the new 5 LNB Dishes make it unrealistic.

The things I am seeing from DirecTV as of late SCARE the hell out of me, there are doing some STUPID things that I wouldnt even expect Charlie to do. (And Charlie does some STUPID things!)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Sounds like a pipe dream to me as those spots (99

The things I am seeing from DirecTV as of late SCARE the hell out of me, there are doing some STUPID things that I wouldnt even expect Charlie to do. (And Charlie does some STUPID things!)

Care to elaborate? (Not calling you out. Just really intersted in your opinion.)

boston,

scott is correct.

i can think of three off the top of my head.

1 lease only hd eq
2 jumbo sized dish
3 kicking tivo to the curb

and scott , ergen does a LOT of STUPID things.....LOL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts