Some Very Stupid Questions: About Set up

Big Gulp

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Ct.
guys bear with me I know some of my questions are stupid but I don't know how to setup my Dish satellite . I have a Dish 500 system I know there is a hookup for channel 119 and another hookup for channel 110. I have only one cable RG-6 where do I connect it too, the 119 side or 119 side? I connected it to the 119 side it said wrong channel, even though on the graph bar I had the bar up around 52 on the scale, still no picture. I changed the cable over to the 110 channel, didn't get a thing. So my question with one cable should it be on 119 or 110,2nd. question, what does this transponder display mean? while searching it was 20, 3rd. do I need to cables going to the dish,for best results where (how) do you tie these 2 cables together to go to the receiver. Sorry for the long post, someone help a old man out, that knows nothing about setting up a dish. PS I did get the screw, azimuth etc. and understand that aspect. Thanks in advance for the help

No question is dumb. We need to know what kind of receiver you are using and what kind of dish and LNBF type.
If you read the whole OP, you'll see that they have a Dish 500. The receivers don't matter unless they aren't compatible with the LNB (ie legacy receiver with a DishPro LNB).

its a Dish 500 with Dish receiver, here is what I am trying to do. I now have Dish (working) in my home. I just picked up another dish (Dish 500) same as my house. I have a camp in Maine, I wanted to mount the spare Dish on the camp, then take my working receiver from home, hook it up to the Dish at camp so I would have TV there. I hope that clears up a few issues. So I hook up the cable to the channel 119 on the LNBF, or to the 110 side of the LNBF? If I hook up 2 cables one to the 119 2nd to 110 how where are they connected (with a splicer)? Would only one cable say attached to the 119 channel work at camp?

The Dish 500 usually comes with a y-shaped yoke and a "twin" LNB of some sort. All twins even back to legacy days have within the housing a switch, and can switch either 110 or 119 onto your single cable. Don't worry about which output port you use; just be sure (in the case of the DPP twin with 3 F jacks) that it's an output and not an input!

Now, since the twins all have a switch inside, you need to tell the receiver that it's connected to a switch. You do this by menu-6-1-1 and using the Check Switch. This should return after 5 or 38 or in rare cases 50 tests and tell you what it sees.

if there's 2 lnbs (ie: 2 seperate eyes not attached to each other) then you need the correct switch to bind those two together.if both eyes are in the same housing then you're good to go, no external switch needed.
this applies to any dish receiver that controls only 1 television....no dual tuners.look at the back of the receiver and tell us the model.
BTW mast leveling and bad connectors are usually the cause of most self-install problems.if you have the DHPP (dish home protection plan) then you should just take advantage of it and let one of us take care of you!

The Krell

thanks I will hook up cable to the 119 channel, then hit 611 on the menu side, let it do its tests, and I should be OK, correct? When I tried to make this work, on menu side, while searching for the satellite it kept changing between transponder and spotbeam. spotbeam maybe 4 then switch to 10 then to 20, what is this,should I be concerned or just ignore that?

tec3018

check my 4th response, we may have been typing at the same time, on what I am trying do do. rea: house and my camp

answered one of my questions already, I don't have to worry about what channel to hook the cable to, or worry about any switches to switch thanks guys.

Don't worry about the spotbeams either; they are for your locals. It's best to peak on a strong transponder, and some spotbeams (for other DMAs) will be extremely weak. I'd peak on a conus transponder, identifiable by "transponder" rather than "spotbeam" in the Point Dish screen.

I was thinking of buying a in line satellite finder (meter) to find the strongest signal, are they worth it? I assume it should speed up the time of fine tuning the satellites in.

You're going to have to be more forthcoming with specifics about your dish regarding the type of LNB assembly it has. Is the dish new or is it an old timer?

There should be words printed on the LNB that you can recite here.

The inline meters can be helpful if you're not particularly adept with a compass. Don't pay more than $8-10 including shipping.

its an olde for sure, numbers are BS1D1UP201M Lot # E16 that is all I could find for number on the LNBF. Seeing how I want to install this thing this weekend, only place I can find a meter now is at Radio Shack and they want $40.00 for it, but they do have a return policy;):D

... if you have the DHPP (dish home protection plan) then you should just take advantage of it and let one of us take care of you!
You'd set up a Dish antenna and receiver at a location (Camp in Maine.) not the service address? I think not. :eek:

why not, what does the location have to do with it? I pay my bill,whether its in Maine or Florida, what is the problem? I will only be using the dish in Maine the most 3 weeks out of the year. The receiver stays 95% of the time at my home in Ct. bring it to my camp when needed. I spoke with Dish reps. they didn't seem to have a problem.

It's not account stacking if he has only one receiver.

I did not say anything about account stacking, I simply questioned if an authorized installer would actually install, in violation of the Service Agreement, a receiver at an address other than the address shown on the account as the service location.

I wish I had not brought it up as it seems to have brought out the loonies. :rant:

I've deleted all in this thread that I am able.