Someone recommend an external HDD for my receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Agreed. I've used Maxtor and WD drives with no issues. The sleep issue on Seagate drives is irritating but easily worked around. I've got a 1TB Toshiba PH3100U-1EXB that DOES NOT WORK so I'd avoid Toshiba drives.

Last edited:
The WD my book essential works great. I would suggest two or three smaller HDs, so if one goes bad, you do not lose all your recordings. I have three 500GB and they all three are still working after a couple of years, Since Dish added the ext HD capability. You can get one for about $65 factory rebuilt, if you shop around.
Her is one link:

http://www.meritline.com/wd-my-book...l-hd-recertified---p-35458.aspx?source=fghdac

I have several WD My Book Essentials and my fave is the 2TB. More programming on one drive means less switching between them since you can only connect one at a time.

Multi-EHD hub support please.

I have several WD My Book Essentials and my fave is the 2TB. More programming on one drive means less switching between them since you can only connect one at a time.

It also means more programs lost if the drive goes bad.

Thanks for the advice.
I looked at the WD drives and I don't see any that plug into the wall for power.

Anyone have a model and or source to buy one?

Thanks.

Thanks for the advice.
I looked at the WD drives and I don't see any that plug into the wall for power.

Thanks.

Most of the desktop models use AC power, it's the portable ones that use USB power. You should be okay with any of these models:
MyBook Essential
MyBook Elite
Elements Desktop

If you can find a dead WD drive, you can buy a new one from their customer loyalty program for a very low price and then get a cheap external HD case. I bought a 320 GB IDE laptop drive that way for $49, they go at Newegg for about $70 or more, a very large SATA desktop drive would be even less and a external HD case is cheap.

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks.

You must have been looking at USB powered notebook drives (Passports) which you DO NOT want.

If you can find a dead WD drive, you can buy a new one from their customer loyalty program for a very low price and then get a cheap external HD case. I bought a 320 GB IDE laptop drive that way for $49, they go at Newegg for about $70 or more, a very large SATA desktop drive would be even less and a external HD case is cheap.

PLease explain. Where do you find a dead WD drive? If you do, WD will swap it for you? I don't understand.

If you can find a dead WD drive, you can buy a new one from their customer loyalty program for a very low price...

Thanks for that info. Good deal, they don't even have to be dead. I was able to do it with a couple of old 20gb drives that were collecting dust on a shelf.

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks.

I would highly suggest this, and you can hot swap any size drive (Sata). Overheating should never be a problem. It also accommodates my preference for smaller drives instead of having all your eggs in one big basket.
BlacX N0028USU (Recertified Product)

If you have any WD drive, go their website, look for warranty support, do warranty check with HD serial number, any out of warranty drive qualifies for loyalty program, and they do not even want the old drive back( so one could use a still working drive that is out of warranty) the loyalty prices are very cheap and the shipping is extremely fast and cheap,UPS 2nd day air usually.

If you have any WD drive, go their website, look for warranty support, do warranty check with HD serial number, any out of warranty drive qualifies for loyalty program, and they do not even want the old drive back( so one could use a still working drive that is out of warranty) the loyalty prices are very cheap and the shipping is extremely fast and cheap,UPS 2nd day air usually.

Thanks! :up

Great and thanks all ... I will get one ordered up today.

I have a whole stack of WD drives so maybe the enclosure is the route to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)