Someone Should Tell DirecTv...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I told them earlier this week. I started telling them all the channels E* has. When I mentioned Voom they said, "Yeah, one of the Voom channels is all cartoons. Who wants to watch HD cartoons?" They are seriously out of touch. I'm going to try and be patient with them through this year... maybe.:D

I think something is coming. Look at the HD Tivo blowout thread. They are giving these things away and rumors of new HD DVR coming soon and swapout. Its only a hunch but I think some more HD channels are coming in the fall while more MPEG4 HD locals get rolled out in the next few months. Not necessarily leading but stuff is coming.

Hmmm, for a site that claims to be impartial in regards to providers it seems a bit tacky for a staff member to be taunting D* over E*'s recent HD launches.

uncrules said:
Hmmm, for a site that claims to be impartial in regards to providers it seems a bit tacky for a staff member to be taunting D* over E*'s recent HD launches.

I live for this moment... :D :D It is not taunting... It is facts... what else can I say? If you self-proclaimed to be the HD Leader, do something... Until them let the laughing go on... :devil:

Sean Mota said:
I live for this moment... :D :D It is not taunting... It is facts... what else can I say? If you self-proclaimed to be the HD Leader, do something... Until them let the laughing go on... :devil:
I agree that D* isn't the HD leader. Its not even close but for a site that claims to be impartial, IMO the taunting hurts the credibility of this site. I certainly would expect E* fanboys to taunt D* but not the staff.

So I expect the same taunting of E* from the staff when D* surpasses E* next year after D*'s capacity surpasses E*'s capacity.

Last edited:
I called them and told them that too. One CSR started saying that the voom channels are "channels you don't want to watch anyway"! I'm like, who are you to tell if they are or not channels I'd want to watch??? So I told them that E* not only had the voom channels but that they also added four new national HD channels, including NGeographic (darn, gonna miss "DOg Whisperer in HD! :D ). Got transfered to costumer retention and the guy said, yeah, we understand we are not the leader anymore, but in 2007 (the future!!! :rolleyes: ) we'll have more than 100 National HD channels, like USA, TBS, etc etc. Gotta love it! Wasn't aware that those stations had plans to transmit in HD in 2007??? He also said the new HD DVR will be coming out at the end of the summer (again, sometime in the future... :rolleyes: ). And right now, all he could offer or guarantee was that, as an HD TIVO owner, I'd get $100 discount on whatever the upgrade fee will be for their new HD DVR (which he still has no clue of what it is). He also dropped $5 from my HD package for 6 months (now that's a tiny little bone!!). So, I'll be sticking with Direct anyway, at least till the end of summer. Not much to watch during the summer time anyway. And, who knows, maybe they'll add a couple of HD nationals by the end of the summer also to try to be a bit more competitive with Dish's current offer. Future will tell...

uncrules said:
I agree that D* isn't the HD leader. Its not even close but for a site that claims to be impartial, IMO the taunting hurts the credibility of this site. I certainly would expect E* fanboys to taunt D* but not the staff.

So I expect the same taunting of E* from the staff when D* surpasses E* next year after D*'s capacity surpasses E*'s capacity.

This has nothing to do with the satguys site. You are missing the point. This is about DirecTv calling themselves the HD Leaders on their website when obviously they are not. Since they check this site many times, someone should tell the webmaster to change the title since it is just comical, embarassing, and misleading to their customers. Nothing to with being bias about one provider here. If the same has happened to Dish Network, I would have done the same (and let me tell you I have :devil: ). I am just telling it like it is. No more no less... I hope one day in the future (in 2007) DirecTv becomes the HD leader but for now the only title that they claim is the Future HD Leaders (with a hope at the end).

Damn, Sean your on a roll! I read most of you rant on the E forum yesterday. You are correct however. E is kicking D ass right now in the HD (lite) dept. I for one want to see what's really going to happen on or around July 1. If true, we will have a whole new ball game.

Last edited:
rockaway1836 said:
Damn, Sean your on a roll! I read most of you rant on the E forum yesterday. You are correct however. E is kicking D ass right now in the HD (lite) dept. I for one want to see what's really going to happen on or around July 1. If t true, we will have a whole new ball game.

What's supposed to happen on 1 Jul?

As an earlier poster noted, I'm staying but for how long? I want more HD & I want it now! :(

Sean Mota said:
This has nothing to do with the satguys site. You are missing the point. This is about DirecTv calling themselves the HD Leaders on their website when obviously they are not. Since they check this site many times, someone should tell the webmaster to change the title since it is just comical, embarassing, and misleading to their customers. Nothing to with being bias about one provider here. If the same has happened to Dish Network, I would have done the same (and let me tell you I have :devil: ). I am just telling it like it is. No more no less... I hope one day in the future (in 2007) DirecTv becomes the HD leader but for now the only title that they claim is the Future HD Leaders (with a hope at the end).
Fair enough. D* has certainly shown a tendency to have deceptive advertising and they should stop. Some of the stuff their CSRs tell people is downright fraudulent. Like other D* subscribers, I'm waiting to see if D* can come through in 2007. 2007 is D*'s chance to fullfill their promise. If they fail to deliver sometime in 2007 I will leave D*. Probably to E*.

Last edited:
As an E* sub, I find D*'s criticisms of VOOM to be interesting. I like my VOOM channels. I tracked my viewing habits and found that 40% of my HD viewing is from them. For example, this week I've watched four Bond movies in HD.

I enjoy nature and travel programs, and having not only Discovery HD, but VOOM's Equator HD, and with National Geographic HD joining the lineup, the total programming of this genre from E* is much stronger. Especially with Discovery now showing so many automotive and motorcycle shows that don't interest me.

And I love movies in HD. E* is now offering HBO, Showtime, Starz, HDNet movies, occasional movies from TNT & Universal, and four VOOM movie channels.

Last summer I was ready to leave E* and spent some time evaluating D* vs E* vs Charter cable. I had just purchased a HDTV set. Based primarily upon where I saw all three going on HD, I decided to stay with E* and am very glad that I did. I would be kicking myself if I had switched to D*.

I hope D* does get serious about HD in 2007, as the competition will be good for all of us. And I hope (without a lot of optimism) that at least one provider features HD quality as a selling point. Perhaps that would stop the slide toward lowest common denominator of HD picture quality.

rockaway1836 said:
To be taken with much salt!!!!!!!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=683293

If this has a hint of being for real. My opinion is in here.
http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=24308

I have not checked the original thread today, so I have no idea what the latest rumor is.

I think NESN in HD by July 1st is a pipe dream on D*. And while I believe that D*'s Advertising is misleading..if D* did add NESN in HD, then in my eyes D* would be the HD leader.

That would give me my locals in HD, ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD, NFL Sunday Ticket in HD, and NESN HD. Im assuming FOX RSN's in HD cant be far behind.

At that point you can have all your cooking shows in HD and all your Tree Frog programming in HD, all the VOOM channels in HD, I dont care.

For ME that would be the ultimate package and I would look up and say someone up there likes ME.

boston area dtv said:
I think NESN in HD by July 1st is a pipe dream on D*. And while I believe that D*'s Advertising is misleading..if D* did add NESN in HD, then in my eyes D* would be the HD leader.

That would give me my locals in HD, ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD, NFL Sunday Ticket in HD, and NESN HD. Im assuming FOX RSN's in HD cant be far behind.

At that point you can have all your cooking shows in HD and all your Tree Frog programming in HD, all the VOOM channels in HD, I dont care.

For ME that would be the ultimate package and I would look up and say someone up there likes ME.

No doubt, sports would be the way to go. There just isn't enough HD content for all these other channels. As much as I would love to see NG in HD I fear it would be just like DiscoveryHD with the same programs on all the time. I'm not holding by breath though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts