Someone 'splain dis slingblade... err, slingBOX thing to me....HrrrmmMMm

TroyO

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Denver, CO
OK, now that I got that out of my system.... LOL

Slingbox adapter seems to work different than the rest of the Dish offerings, if I understand it correctly.

1) $30 to buy but it's the same cost pretty much anytime. (Looking at other Slingbox adapters they run $60 through Amazon?)

2) No monthly leasing/rental/You have one so we're gonna charge you no matter who owns it fee?

3) The Slingviewer app for android is $30 but the Dish Remote Access app is free... and does the same thing?

If those assumptions are correct.... I wonder if the installer will have one on the truck by chance on Sat when they install, LOL.

1) Yes $30 but it only works with certain DISH receivers (722k, 922 & Hopper) A regular Slingbox you can hooko to any receiver DISH, DIRECTV, CableTV etc.
2) No monthly fees.
3) The only way to watch the DISH Sling Adapter is by using the free DISH Remote Access app... or by doing to DISHonline.COM.

You can test things out by going to DISH.COM and clicking on the Test Drive Icon on the bottom right. :D

It's REALLY cool to be able to watch your TV Everywhere!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I did the test drive yesterday.... tested on both my Kindle Fire and my Laptop. (Kindle fire app not normally available yet, but mine has been tweaked to get me access to the regular Android App store. App itself works just fine as best I can tell.)

I'm getting a Hopper/Joey new Dish install on Sat. I'm just surprised as it does seem like a whole lot of extra feature for a one time $30 pricetag. Heck, just the APP for regular Slingbox is that much.....

3) The only way to watch the DISH Sling Adapter is by using the free DISH Report Access app... or by doing to DISHonline.COM.

I actually was really dissapointed I could not use regular sling apps with the sling adapter, I have a Roku I wanted to use with it. I thought Dish owned Sling, why cant they make things compatible... :(

I actually was really dissapointed I could not use regular sling apps with the sling adapter, I have a Roku I wanted to use with it. I thought Dish owned Sling, why cant they make things compatible... :(
Yeah I know thats been a thorn in my side for awhile as well.

The reason for it is the DISH Sling Adapter only transmits video, but it can not transmit the menus and guide so it needs special software to talk to the receiver and make its own guide and menus.

I personally HATE going to DishOnline to watch my Sling Adapter receivers and would rather have a stand alone app. I dont mind however the Dish Remote Access app.

And like Troy I rooted my Kindle Fire so DISH Remote App works on it :D

You will get 100000 times more enjoyment and use from a regular slingbox imo. Yes, it cost more but it does so much more, and works flawlessly on the computer or Android. (as anytime assuming you have a good internet connection, same for the adapter)
I just watched NCAAA BB in the airport in Tampa while waiting for delayed plane on my Android. Didn't even break out the computer. Using the airport WiFi it costs me no data time. So listen to Scott, TV everywhere is the greatest. Miss a Red Sox game on the road? Not me.... :)

What's a Red Sox? (OK, so I didn't get dish for sports...LOL ;-)

It did occur to me that for those who do like sports that a "SlingRing" could be set up so that folks in a blackout area could watch games by swapping account info with other Sling users.

What I want is Amazon streaming on my Hopper... they just announced tons of the stuff that I DO watch.... SciFy, History, Discovery, Etc.

Any chance of adding your own apps or something or is Dish pretty much in full control?

The reason for it is the DISH Sling Adapter only transmits video, but it can not transmit the menus and guide so it needs special software to talk to the receiver and make its own guide and menus.

I think is just laziness. They already know which device the player app is connecting to. Cant they add the dish stuff to the regular sling apps and do something like "if(slingadapter){ show extra options and video }else{ show video}".

It seems its possible to access the SlingAdapter with the regular sling apps but they want want to force us to use the Dish app.

You know some people inside, complain about it. :)

What I want is Amazon streaming on my Hopper... they just announced tons of the stuff that I DO watch.... SciFy, History, Discovery, Etc.

Any chance of adding your own apps or something or is Dish pretty much in full control?

You are barking up the wrong appliance. You want a Roku, it has a very specifically developed, great app for Amazon streaming. Also a fantastic way to watch HBO GO among the hundreds of programming it has.

I can stream from Amazon on my Hopper fine. I use PlayOn as my DLNA server...

I just wish they PlayOn Supported HD streaming.

You are barking up the wrong appliance. You want a Roku, it has a very specifically developed, great app for Amazon streaming. Also a fantastic way to watch HBO GO among the hundreds of programming it has.

I do in fact want a Roku..... built in to my Dish DVR which really aughta have a Blue Ray player in it too...... ;-) Bonus if it plays games too.....

Not too much is it? ;-o

Really though... I do want a Roku.... it's "On the list".

I was under the impression you could watch live tv from you android or iPad when you are on the same local network as your dvr (hopper in my case) without a sling adapter. $30 isn't that bad though. I'm correct in thinking you still need it?

I was under the impression you could watch live tv from you android or iPad when you are on the same local network as your dvr (hopper in my case) without a sling adapter. $30 isn't that bad though. I'm correct in thinking you still need it?

Nope. You still need a Sling Adapter even if you are watching on the same local network as your receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts