something that could help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

docj2005

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
st louis park mn
I think it would be great for the newbies and the less informed if someone could
make a faq or starter primer for things like dvbs-2 and some of the other new function that some of these hd boxs have
i know that i am getting fruserated with things like piolt and some of the advanced options that the coolsat 8100 has

anyone up to the chanlange

yep other than pilot that is really all the different option for setting up the info on DVB-S2 versus DVB-S (DVB has pilot set to auto)

on DVB-S2 you need the FEC too

ok i found this pdf on the subject if i knew how to upload it i would

ok things that cofuse me are

8psk
and qpsk both dvbs2
pilot
and on the coolsat8100 there is frequency scan
as an option.. all of these are in the manual scan

there is aslo code rate wich i have set to what ever is posted

also set pid search to auto

i dont know any of these settings
i have yet to get the coolsat to lock on to anything other than normal dbs

that is why i thought a faq or dummies guide to the basics would be help
i have noticed that this subject has been broghut up before
this might be a good sujebt to make a sticky

thanks bigT

Attachments

• DVBS-2_guide.pdf
    858.3 KB · Views: 3,385
Last edited:
ok i found this pdf on the subject if i knew how to upload it i would
at the bottom it says "manage attachments"

ok things that cofuse me are

8psk
and qpsk both dvbs2
99% of the DVB-S2 stuff up there is 8PSK. I have only found one DVB-S QPSK and that was on C-band
I dont know exactly what it does but its important with DVB-S2
and on the coolsat8100 there is frequency scan
as an option.. all of these are in the manual scan
frequency scan is a network search. It finds all the frequencies that a SID acknowledges. I know Globecast transponders work that way. It is like a poor mans blind scan. It tells the receiver "hey...globecast added a new transponder"

there is aslo code rate wich i have set to what ever is posted
thats the FEC and in DVB-S2 its required. In DVB auto works fine. IN fact most FTA recievers that are DVB only the FEC is always auto. But for DVB-S2 you need the correct one

also set pid search to auto
correct. manual pid entry is only need when required. CW on G17 C-Band you need to manually enter the pids. Otherwise leave it on auto

The thing with DVB-S2 is EVERYTHING has to be entered properly or it won't work. I know on commercial receivers you need to enter everything too. Normal DVB is frequency, polarity & symbol rate

DVB-S2 is Freq, polarity, symbol rate, FEC, pilot on or off

eeesh. I went just for fun (and wasting time at work) and started to read up on DVB-S2 and FEC, PILOT etc.. OUCH.. my brain hurts.
I sort of understand it, but could not, at this point, explain it to someone else. And for what pilot does and how FEC works in the signal off the sat, I wouldn't think is really necessary for tuning in a channel.
I think it would be kind of like knowing how combustion chamber shape along with intake runner size affect how an engine runs, just to be able to drive it. Or exactly how a transmission works. It might be cool information, but you dont need to know it just to turn the engine on and drive to the quickie-mart.
What I did gather from some of the documents, is that with FEC and beam focus they can target very narrow areas to try to limit who is going to get the signal. Pilot helps cancel out noise. that is, if I understand it correctly (may or may not be true ;-)
ouch.. anybody got any aspirin?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts