Somthing I was ask when I called voom today

I am not "glad" Voom doesn't have it. I just don't care. Certainly, if they want to add it, I won't bitch. Having to deal with my rotor every time I want a local is a pain.

I certainly don't want them eating up the bandwidth with 500 local SD channels like Dish & Direct do. This one one of the big reasons I went with Voom was because I was sick of the overcompression due to locals on Dish.

seandudley said:
I certainly don't want them eating up the bandwidth with 500 local SD channels like Dish & Direct do. This one one of the big reasons I went with Voom was because I was sick of the overcompression due to locals on Dish.
Thank you! Me too!

Not entirely true about the OTA locals sending out full bandwidth HD. The NBC affiliate here in Cleveland is splitting the bandwidth into 3 separate channels. The primary one being no more than 720p, and just a total waste with the other 2. I agree with those who don't want to see V* wasting bandwidth for locals. That is not why I went from D* to V*.

I hope either a) the csr didn't know what s/he was talking about (most likely) or b) s/he was talking about distant networks in HD, which may become a reality if the new McCain bill gets passed. I think that'd be A Good Thing.

Would there be any real money in it for a network like NBC to offer a satellite only version of their channel? I don't know...something like NBC-SKY? Simply a national feed of their non-local programming. As far as sports go, they could just show the national games on there. Then the sat company's could offer this one singular national feed of NBC. Is that somehow against the law?

I know they can't send NBC-NY to everywhere in the country because that infringes on the affliaties. However, if NBC-National is its own entity do the rules still apply?

Fortunately I get all my locals OTA without a problem.

But if there were one or two of the networks that I couldn't get OTA I would dump Voom in favor of cable (assuming they could give me HD locals).

I guess Voom has found that there are a certain number of people out there who have problems getting OTA locals -- and who don't want Voom without them.

But if there were one or two of the networks that I couldn't get OTA I would dump Voom in favor of cable (assuming they could give me HD locals).
So what you are saying, is you got Voom for OTA?:rolleyes:

HeavyC said:
Would there be any real money in it for a network like NBC to offer a satellite only version of their channel? I don't know...something like NBC-SKY? Simply a national feed of their non-local programming. As far as sports go, they could just show the national games on there. Then the sat company's could offer this one singular national feed of NBC. Is that somehow against the law?

Don't know about any laws (all though I'm sure there's got to be something on the books to prevent this) but I don't see that sitting well with the local affiliates selling local ad time.

In my opinion, local ch's are very important for any service to provide. In my instance, if I just had VOOM I wouldnt be receiving NBC, WPIX or WNET. NBC is a ch that my family seems to watch alot. But if I didnt have Directv and m local ch's through them it would be a problem. Everyone should have at least the main local ch's in their area. Its an incomplete service otherwise. If Voom is going to try to be a service that provides everything for everyone then they need to provide local ch's. Dont get me wrong....I dont want them to waste bandwidth od providing locals for everone either. And there is nothing better than receiving HD OTA...the picture is simply more crisp. Anyone that says different...just take CBSHD on DTV...and compare it to CBSHD OTA. While DTV's CBShd is very good...its just a hair below the picture quality when you receive the same ch OTA. I dont want VOOM to provide local ch's and use bandwidth ....I dont receive NBCHD and still dont want VOOm to provide it to me. But you really have to put yourself in VOOM's shoes....if customers are cancelling because they cant get their locals via Ota...as a business that is looking to keep their current customers and attract new customers, that negative has to be corrected.

Local channels are important to me, because I cant watch movies all the time, there are some local shows that Voom does not have..

You guys cant tell me there is not allot of filler on Voom, I love Voom but I need my locals if it cost me to lose the MOOV channel so be it.. I cant watch Moov more than 10 min anyways, I look how awesome the picture looks and go to something else.. Cya Slick

txdude said:
Compressed HD over the satellite is going to look worse than OTA. OTA is the best possible signal that you can get cause it's full bandwidth. Are you not within range to receive your locals OTA?

That is true unless the OTA station is doing multicasting and putting 3 or 4 signals up and squeezing the hell out of their HD channel. HD is one area you can't have your cake and eat it too. Put more channels in the same bandwidth and it is going to show crushed and the broadcasters, FCC and congress don't seem to care.

txdude said:
I hope this is not true :mad:

I get all my local OTA channels just fine with a stealth antenna. But, even if I didn't get good local digital reception I wouldn't want vOom wasting perfectly good HD bandwidth because of it, much less just so that every little backward town from here to Houston can get digital locals.

I subscribe to vOom for HD Premium and Originals, NOT for locals.:

Are you telling me that you are happy with the Voom Originals?

I don't see how anyone could enjoy them at all. I watch Rave a lot and Rush every once in awhile and that's it. Even If I liked all of the channels I could see every thing they had in a week. It is so repetitive. I am not saying the Originals aren't good , but they certainly aren't what I expected.

DBENE said:

I don't see how anyone could enjoy them at all. I watch Rave a lot and Rush every once in awhile and that's it. Even If I liked all of the channels I could see every thing they had in a week. It is so repetitive. I am not saying the Originals aren't good , but they certainly aren't what I expected.

To each its own. Voom originals are good to me with a combination to HD premium channels, I can always find something to watch. Some of them may not be your cup of tea, but to others they are. Of course, find me an HD channel that is not repeatitive in nature and that offers 24/7 without repetition.

bbqman said:
So what you are saying, is you got Voom for OTA?:rolleyes:

I'm saying I want one solution for everything. I like Voom for the whole package but I don't want to have multiple providers so if Voom didn't have OTA I'd move to something that did.

I understand that everyone would like to get all their locals, but if you live some where where it's just not possible for you to pick up locals OTA, there is no reason that other subscribers should have their quality of service reduced to accommodate you getting digital locals.

I say find another service that suits your needs better, enjoy old fashion analog, or do what I was planning on if OTA was a problem for me, subscribe to basic cable through Comcast to get your locals about $12/month and add on a High def receiver for 5$ extra a month. That's $17/month and you get local HD that Comcast carries in your area. HD Locals through cable and HD Premium and Originals through Voom. Problem solved.

By the way... Comcast doesn't like people to know this but to get local HD all you have to do is subscribe to basic cable, not digital cable.

Man I hope they do not do this, I know some people have trouble getting OTA but I think you are the minority this time. I don't think that Voom should offer OTA through the Sat. I'd seriously rather see more HD channels more bandwidth for the HD they already provide. Please this is not the way to go...

DBENE said:

I watch Gallery, Equator, Rush, Rave, and Monsters daily. Not every channel every day, but at least 1 or 2 of those at least has something to cool to watch. I'm not that big a fan of the Cinema 10 channels but I have watched a few movies like Manchurian Candidate, Birdcage, and some dumb Don Johnson movie about Nazis. I wouldn't say the Voom Originals are bad, they are quite good, and with the lack of HD well known channels like Lifetime, USA, HGTV, and SCI-FI this is as good as it gets right now. If you want more HD I would suggest raising consumer awareness and get everyone in your area to buy/use their HDTV sets for something other than watching stretched out SD channels.

Its really very simple...if VOOM wanted to be a service that just provides HD...then they would do just that and drop all the STD ch's that they have currently. It is obvious by their ch lineup that they want to be more than just an HD srevice. They want to provide everything....so its simple. They MUST provide locals for everyone. Locals are a basic part of any service....and has to be a part of the VOOM package.

This is what could happen and is just my theory. Rainbow-1 has 26 spot beams on 8 TPs, they could use those spot beams for 26 sets of locals, use the remaing 3 "Conus" TPs and the 2 STA TPs (5 TPs total) for the VOOM Exclusives. Move the rest that is currently on Rainbow-1 over to AMC-6, where they will eventually have 32 TPs.

On the West Coast use the 175w slot for more sets of locals and the VOOM Exclusives and use the 166w slot where they now have 32 TPs for everything else.

Esentially no space is wasted on locals since Rainbow has more than doubled it's space with their rental agreement of AMC-6 and has more than quadrupled it's space with this past weeks DBS auction. We aren't dealing with just 11 TPs and 2 STAs anymore we are now dealing with 109 TPs, 64 on the West Coast, 45 on the East Coast, and 26 spotbeams on the East Coast.

With the WM9/MPEG-4 upgrade and all the new TPs we are now talking of tons of available space without compromising PQ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)