Sonic Voom Headphones

Status
Please reply by conversation.

14karat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Hernando, Mississippi
I got mine off eBay 2 weeks ago. $15 total...
One question tho... the headphone plugs on the front have the extra connections (other than the 1/8" plug) which I assume are the remaining "3.1" channels.
Has anyone ran across an adapter for those plugs to convert to 6 RCA plugs? This would allow for discrete amps on each channel...

I got mine off eBay 2 weeks ago. $15 total...
One question tho... the headphone plugs on the front have the extra connections (other than the 1/8" plug) which I assume are the remaining "3.1" channels.
Has anyone ran across an adapter for those plugs to convert to 6 RCA plugs? This would allow for discrete amps on each channel...

I have never seen, or heard, of an adapter that would do that...maybe someone else has?

I have never seen, or heard, of an adapter that would do that...maybe someone else has?

I haven't heard of one either. I have 2 of the Sonic VOom things, and one of them had defective headphones (the module still worked fine, and that was all I wanted anyway). I found that the wire going to the headphones was cut , so I decided to open up the wire and see what was coming out of the various channels. I was expecting to see several "pairs" of wires going to the various speakers inside the headset.
What I FOUND, however were about the finest wires I've ever seen, smaller gauge than the finest magnet wire I've ever seen, with no removable insulation, but apparently painted like magnet wire. I didn't see any possible way to strip and isolate these wires, plus it seemed like there were more wires than connections, and they were so fine and flimsy I wasn't even sure that they were wires... really confusing.
So I decided to open up that little plastic module part way down the cable to the headphones. I was able to cut off the outer plastic, which revealed a clear plastic blob inside that had a small circuit board inside. I was able to cut around the edge of this, and peal off the plastic. There were a series of input and output connections that it looked like you could potentially tap to get the various channels, but you'd have to do a lot of experimentation to figure out which pins were what. I didn't bother trying. I was really just curious, not trying to do anything. The module was working fine for me with just the L/R channels anyway. I have very rarely run into any satellite channel that didn't have what I wanted in the left/right channels.
Anyway, just wanted to post my observations, in case anyone was thinking of using the cable that goes to the headphones.

I haven't torn into the thing, but you describe the conductors exactly as I would expect... with that many conductors in such a small bundle they would have to be varnished copper thread.
I've attempted to repair a set of earbuds that used the same stuff and finally chunked them and bought a new set.
It wouldn't be difficult to manufacture that type of plug as it's just flat with a few contact points... Just thought there may be an adapter that will already fit... I'll keep digging.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts