SonicTap replacing Sirius/XM on 2/9/2010

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I stopped listening to XM on DTV when 80's on 8 dropped Casey Kasem's old American Top 40 show.

Edit to add: some of the SonicTap channels have already been added: channels 871-879.

Last edited:
See what will happen though is it will change and some people will freak out not right away but like 2 months after the change. Like people did with 208 espn classic no one watches it on a regular enough basis to know it even missing.
I probably watched ESPN Classic more than any of the other ESPNs.

I do agree with your main point though. It was probably a better move on Directs part to switch the two channels in the packages simply due to who watches what.

Well, my Logitech Squeezebox I got for Christmas just became that more useful. I like to listen to classical while I read the morning paper (I know, I am old and still enjoy turning the pages.) Sometimes change is good...sometimes not. We will just have to wait and see.

Not a big listener either, but if DIRECTV is doing this as a cost savings matter they need to pass that on to the customers. Also the people who signed up with Directv and are not happy with this decision should be able to back out of their contract. I know it won't happen, just like with Versus. They can remove channels or move channels to a higher package and as a consumer all you can do is grin and bare it. The contracts only help them.

I hope this transition goes well. I'm not convinced some of those channel mappings between XM and Sonic Tap are 1:1. One of the channels I listen to is "Deep Tracks" which plays the less-listened-to songs off of popular rock albums.

The mapping shows the "replacement" is: Specialty 8-Tracks. Is this the match because both have the word "Tracks" in them? I have no idea what this new channel will play.

My favorite channel is "The Coffeehouse." I really love the mix of songs on this channel. Sonic Tap has, "Alternative: Coffeehouse Rock." Sounds about the same, but I like about 90% of the songs on the XM/Sirius Coffeehouse channel. Will be surprised if the new channel can duplicate that. About 75% of all of my listening to the XM/Sirius channels is to this one channel.

Not a big listener either, but if DIRECTV is doing this as a cost savings matter they need to pass that on to the customers. Also the people who signed up with Directv and are not happy with this decision should be able to back out of their contract. I know it won't happen, just like with Versus. They can remove channels or move channels to a higher package and as a consumer all you can do is grin and bare it. The contracts only help them.
How do you know they are not?

I hope this transition goes well. I'm not convinced some of those channel mappings between XM and Sonic Tap are 1:1.

They AREN'T 1-1 - all D* was doing was telling you what was on a given channel now, & what it will be after 2/9/10. They obviously felt it was easier to just list the channels #'s in numerical order, & that people would figure out what the new channels played by their names. You can always go over to the DMX website for more clarification... ;)

How do you know they are not?
Well I don't know that they will not pass the savings on to us customers, but I sure haven't seen a decrease sense Versus was taken away. So I am willing to go out on a limb here and say I really don't see getting any price break by not having XM/Sirius. Of course by the time this happens we'll have the normal yearly increase the following month so I don't see us winning anything in this matter.

I don't really care.

I didn't subscribe to DIRECTV for the music channels.

Thats kinda what I was thinking, who makes D* thier choice BECAUSE of the music channels.

I get D* for the Television side of things, listen to the music about once every month or two for a few minutes.

People can always get XM if they want these music channels.

The only downside for me is there is times I like to listen to xm and i am too lazy to go out to one of the jeeps and pull the xm radio out and put it in the home dock.

Your right, we are getting a price increase instead. With this type of increase, they better be adding Versus and some other HD Stations too. I could care less about the music stations. In fact if this increase is because of them, I would love to see an option to drop the music stations and save money.

Well I don't know that they will not pass the savings on to us customers, but I sure haven't seen a decrease sense Versus was taken away. So I am willing to go out on a limb here and say I really don't see getting any price break by not having XM/Sirius. Of course by the time this happens we'll have the normal yearly increase the following month so I don't see us winning anything in this matter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)