Sonicview 360 premier

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

stryan

Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
PEI, Canada
i need some guidance, my sonicview 360 is dead, the remote won't work and the receiver is saying main on the display this has happend before and I was able to fix it, but can't remeber how? Can you help me?

I have the same receiver. Have you flipped the main power switch in the back off and back on? If this doesn't work, unplug it for a while and plug it back in.

This model is very buggy and tends to lockup. I am looking at replacing it soon with a Fortec Dynamic.

I agree... You need to use the power switch almost daily to reset the Sonicview Premier. The normal failure I have seen is that the display will freeze showing a single digit... You also may want to check that you have the 0105 version of the firmware (even though that version has been out for a long time).

Any newbies out there thinking about buying a SV Premier-- DON'T!!!

This model is very buggy and tends to lockup. I am looking at replacing it soon with a Fortec Dynamic.

I have had the Fortec Dynamic now since October last year, it is my bedroom box. It replaced my Coolsat 6000. I thought I would not like it since I was used to the Coolsat but I have to admit it has been a great little box thus far! Easy to setup, cool features. Bought it from our Gold Sponcer Sadoun. You will like the Dynamic very much!

It is a great little blind scan box! :up

fortec_dynamic.jpg

I am interested in a Sonic view 360 elite, I have heard good things from them. Maybe you got a bad premier?

Stay away from Sonicview, Viewsat and a few others they are poor receivers, you will want to review receivers here, Traxis 3500, the Fortec are mentioned often.

I havent heard many good things on Sonicview. The ones that I have worked with and liked are
Fortec, Pansat, Coolsat, Visionsat

Visionsat is PVR capable

depends on where you ask:

I am interested in a Sonic view 360 elite, I have heard good things from them.
The bulk of the "FTA" sites out there are for hackers, not real FTA users.
So, their idea of "good" often revolves around what their owners are selling at the time.

I've seen a lot of legitimate folks come here after buying what I like to call hacker-bait products.
That is, ones the real FTA community would never recommend.
Often, the specs are misleading, or the products just don't do what the specs say.
I call that a "lie", and nothing less.
So, then we have to help figure out how to make the best of a bad purchase.

The receivers recommended here (like the list Iceberg gave above) are generally better and more reliable choices than you'll find on -most- other sites.
If we've reviewed 'em, we've disclosed their warts (which often will not matter to some users).

Do not knock the sonicview elite it does not suffer from same issue as the premier.
I have an elite on motorized setup it's work very well for 123west.
But blind scan on it is good but machine hangs after one blind scan's few sat's one after the other.
Picked up the elite because dual tuner option and timeshift features.
At least the pvr work better certain pansat model that will not bring up because bad memories.

don't knock

Have to agree, don't knock it if you haven't tried it, but there have been lots of threads here as mentioned, from buyers who weren't happy with their choice, after the fact. The specs may sound good but the rec may not perform as advertised, or have a weak tuner. I bought a Viewsat Ultra when they first came out, shopping by the specs put out by the manufacturer, and used it nearly two years until I found a deal on a Traxis 3500. I began to find channels on satellites that I had scanned with the Ultra that I never knew were there-because the Ultra doesn't have a very sensitive tuner. I would still recommend an Ultra for the average newbie though, it has the most logical, well organized menus, is easy to set up for blindscanning, and doesn't hang up on hd signals or data transponders. It will find most wild feeds. An experienced fta 'er will prob decide on a more sensitive receiver after a while.

I have had the Fortec Dynamic now since October last year, it is my bedroom box. It replaced my Coolsat 6000. I thought I would not like it since I was used to the Coolsat but I have to admit it has been a great little box thus far! Easy to setup, cool features. Bought it from our Gold Sponcer Sadoun. You will like the Dynamic very much!

It is a great little blind scan box! :up

That is a true and honest review. Thank you.

I borrowed a SonicView 360 Premier receiver to do some testing and to find out for myself some of the problems with this box. Here is a small sampling of the defects I found, and a step by step fix to recovering from a receiver crash, hope this helps:

1. USALs does not function as it should with the original factory firmware. Apparently there is a table in the firmware that links USALs to the specific satellites; also the ID banner is derived from a prewritten table. The tables appear to be in error, some satellites you select using USALs drive to the correct location, others do not, for example you may have selected Galaxy 18 at 123W orbital location but USALs drives it to 91W. You also might be at 95W Galaxy 3C and locked onto a signal and the ID banner displays AMC4 at 101W. These examples may not be the exact satellites and drive to locations, can’t remember the exact scenario it’s been several months since I tested the SonicView. But you get the picture, the firmware tables are written incorrectly and there has been no factory firmware upgrade to correct for this.

2. The satellite data along with transponders is not upgraded to reflect the current names and transponders in use. It is a little bit of a choir to edit all the data.

3. The front end of this receiver is weak and difficult to scan in all the various TRUE FTA broadcast DVB signals. However it seems to have no problem locking onto the 20000 SR signals of Dish Network or Bell Express if that tells you anything.

4. This receiver does not work with channel editing and loading using Channel Master. Anyone familiar with Channel Master can understand the convenience of this channel editing tool.

5. This receiver has issues locking up and either displaying a single digit on the front panel, or a repeating pattern, or the infamous “MAIN”. I locked up this receiver on many occasions trying different ways to edit or load a channel list I created with Channel Master.

And this brings me to my last point of the receiver locking up. Something you have done has caused a corrupted file that causes the receiver to crash. The best way to recover is to clean out all files in the receiver. The easiest way to do this is to load “SV360Premeir_sysCleanFile.rom”, then the factory firmware version “0105.rom”, and the downloader, either on your computer to use in conjunction with the RS232 cable or better yet to a USB stick. Then follow these steps:

1. Power off the receiver by switch on the back, insert the USB stick to front panel USB port. Push and hold the “OK” button on the front panel while powering on the receiver from switch located on back of the stb. Keep pressing the “OK” button until the USB prompt screen appears. The files loaded on the USB stick will now display on your TV screen. Use the black ring that encircles the “OK” button on front panel to scroll up/down, right and left as your remote will not be functional at this point. Select the “sysCleanFile.rom” and load. Follow any screen instructions that appear.

2. Power off from back and then repeat step (1), this time select the factory firmware and load to the receiver.

3. When the box boots back up after factory file is loaded go to menu and do factory reset. Your box should now be back in original working order.
You can get the same results using the serial cable if you choose, the USB flash stick was handy for me and found it took less time to clean out the corrupted files and reload the factory firmware.

I am glad I only borrowed this stb for testing purposes, as it is now collecting dust in my closet. I love my Coolsat 5000 it does what I want for FTA satellite broadcast reception. I am sure there are better boxes other than the Coolsat, but currently haven't the the $$$ to run out and buy one. Best advice that I can give others is to read, read, read. Do your research before you buy, and watch out for other sites promoting or allowing any hack talk, as they tend to promote boxes that do not work well for TRUE FTA use.

My self i would recamend the Fortec to everyone it is a great reciever i purchased mine from Sadoun also , great support and no worries , i also am useing a Pansat 3500 that is also user friendly but the Icon i have is a bit tempermentle bit i don't regret test driving it .Just my 2 sense.

Have to agree, don't knock it if you haven't tried it, but there have been lots of threads here as mentioned, from buyers who weren't happy with their choice, after the fact. The specs may sound good but the rec may not perform as advertised, or have a weak tuner. I bought a Viewsat Ultra when they first came out, shopping by the specs put out by the manufacturer, and used it nearly two years until I found a deal on a Traxis 3500. I began to find channels on satellites that I had scanned with the Ultra that I never knew were there-because the Ultra doesn't have a very sensitive tuner. I would still recommend an Ultra for the average newbie though, it has the most logical, well organized menus, is easy to set up for blindscanning, and doesn't hang up on hd signals or data transponders. It will find most wild feeds. An experienced fta 'er will prob decide on a more sensitive receiver after a while.

Viewsat Ultra i have tried blind scan is not too sensitive problem the sonicview elite it does pick up low singals but suffer form a bug of some kind after few blind scan it will lock up on you.
I agree with you more experienced fta'er will most choose a more robust machine but i have this dumb habit of getting a machine and playing with for few month's to year then selling it or put it away.
I still have trusty pansat 2700a by my side when to do serious scanning of skies.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts